A 'Careful Game Manager' will not win you football games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 'Careful Game Manager' will not win you football games

I like Kyle Orton. He has a great attitude and by all appearances, is a solid leader on and off the field.

But he's not a game breaker, nor is he the long term answer for this team. As it stands, he barely qualifies as the short-term answer.

I don't care how 'big picture' it is to lay down for a sack. I don't care how much the announcers praise him for throwing it into the dirt or out of bounds or anywhere except where a receiver has a chance to catch it. He's an average quarterback with VERY average skills, and even if we do manage to get into the playoffs now, he can't and won't win any games while there.
    sigpic

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I like Kyle Orton. He has a great attitude and by all appearances, is a solid leader on and off the field.

But he's not a game breaker, nor is he the long term answer for this team. As it stands, he barely qualifies as the short-term answer.

I don't care how 'big picture' it is to lay down for a sack. I don't care how much the announcers praise him for throwing it into the dirt or out of bounds or anywhere except where a receiver has a chance to catch it. He's an average quarterback with VERY average skills, and even if we do manage to get into the playoffs now, he can't and won't win any games while there.
    I agree..... I've thought this about Orton all season. I do give him credit for playing through injuries.

Comment

I'll admit I never thought we would need a quarterback, but after watching this you are absolutely right. He just won't get the job done we need a young quarterback.

Comment

We knew what we were getting when we traded for him. Not everybody can be a Jake Plummer or Tom Brady.

Comment

I have to disagree here..even with Orton in the game, we win this with better playcalling..McDaniels hasn't utilized Orton as well as he could, and this is due to the over-reliance on the run game and the inability to utilize it properly with so many runs up the middle and runs on 3rd and short up the middle..

Comment

Originally posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
            We knew what we were getting when we traded for him. Not everybody can be a Jake Plummer or Tom Brady.
            Jake Plummer should not even be considered in the same sentence as Tom Brady

*R.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash you will never be forgotten*

Comment

Kyle Orton only "works" for you if you have the 2000 Ravens defense, and a GREAT running game. Just as literally any NFL QB could "work" for you in that situation.

It was a horrible decision to trade Cutler (Oh no I brought that up I must be evil) because Cutler, while not polished enough yet, has the skillset needed to be a GREAT qb.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolverine83 View Post
                Kyle Orton only "works" for you if you have the 2000 Ravens defense, and a GREAT running game. Just as literally any NFL QB could "work" for you in that situation.

It was a horrible decision to trade Cutler (Oh no I brought that up I must be evil) because Cutler, while not polished enough yet, has the skillset needed to be a GREAT qb.
                Cutler got benched for being one of the worst QBs in Bear history today. His future is an unknown at this point. Regardless, Orton did more with less in Chicago. Orton outplayed Cutler as a Bear. So maybe you would like to have somebody better than Orton. But that person is not Cutler. Not on this team. It's starting to become obvious what the defense is now. The defense was getting away with stuff all year because they were allowed to be extremely aggressive due to an offense that didn't put them in bad spots. The truth is the defense isn't that great. And a Cutler led 2009 Broncos would be lucky to have a better record than the Bears this year.

Comment

I'm not going to say we'd be better off with Jay Cutler. I think Cutler has proven this year all his critics right, and clearly has played terrible this year.

But Cutler's ineptness doesn't constitute success for Kyle Orton. We still have a very average quarterback that can't make plays happen.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been saying about Orton and so many have argued with me. I was all for him at the beginning of the season but he has gotten worse every game. No he is not to blame for the loss but he didn't do anything to win it. Opposing defenses know if they shut down our running game Orton will not make the plays to win, its been that way all season.

Orton will not get better next year, he is what he is, we need a great running game and defense to win with him, right now we don't have either. Orton will not stretch the field and teams will stack everybody on line and shut down the running game and the offense.

Comment

Did Kyle Orton lose the game for Denver?

No.

Denver had the ball on 3rd and short multiple times and COULD NOT CONVERT. They had it at the 1 on FIRST DOWN and couldn't make the score that would have won the game.

Let's be realistic here, there's plenty of blame to throw around for this one. Denver got beat by a Raiders team that's been suprising a lot of respectable teams lately, I suppose we're no different.

Tough loss.

Comment

Kyle Orton is doing exactly what McD is telling him to do. It's the plays. He isn't mobile though at all.

Comment

I gotta admit. Being at the game, play calling is what killed us. We threw a 3rd and long screen for god's sake! I'm upset, but not totally discouraged. It's easy to get your hopes up when the season started like ours did. But we are back to reality and I know that we have a lot of work to do. Including McDaniels.

He knows he needs to change some things about the way he coaches games and the plays he calls. Can we win games? Yea. Can we Dominate games? Unfortunately no. Its on the players and the coach. I love the Broncos and always will, but he have work to do.
                          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                          Confucius

Comment

This ain't Kyle's fault, hes posting his best ever stats this year. I blame playcalling, Kyle isnt too bad a qb at all, we don't need to play ultra conservative because of him.
                            Manning Fatigue (noun): The act of being sick as hell of watching a HOF qb take half of forever to decide what to do and just wishing he'd make up his mind.

Comment

Orton can only run the plays that are called. Playcalling lost this game.

KICK ANOTHER FIELD GOAL BRONCOS!!!!
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X