A 'Careful Game Manager' will not win you football games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post

The more amazing part is Orton was better in the Bear's offense playing with a worse cast. So you can't compare Orton and Cutler in Denver due to different scheme. But you sure can do a little comparison between Cutler and Orton while playing for the Bears... and Orton wins easily.
    This is not true.

The reason the bears are sucking is because they are trying to be less of a running team and more of a passing team. It hurt their running game and their passing game is obviously not where it needs to be to make up for the loss of the running game.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      I like Kyle Orton. He has a great attitude and by all appearances, is a solid leader on and off the field.

But he's not a game breaker, nor is he the long term answer for this team. As it stands, he barely qualifies as the short-term answer.

I don't care how 'big picture' it is to lay down for a sack. I don't care how much the announcers praise him for throwing it into the dirt or out of bounds or anywhere except where a receiver has a chance to catch it. He's an average quarterback with VERY average skills, and even if we do manage to get into the playoffs now, he can't and won't win any games while there.

I understand your viewpoint and respect it of course, But something to keep in mind and believe me I am not using this as an excuse, It is a new system BUT one that Orton is very familiar with from Perdue. So to take him out and then go through the time to bring in a younger QB and then try to train him the new system and what if that doesn't work?

I personally think with Orton being the Manager that he is and the Coaching Abilities that McDaniels possesses it is possible to create something using skills from both sides.

And then after that is established we have more experienced Lineman and even the possibility of some better trust between Orton and McDaniels to maybe get to the point where Orton will be like Elway and be allowed to just call his own plays, which would allow Orton to call what he is comfortable with at the time?
      Last edited by BroncosRockdaRockies; 12-23-2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
        I've been saying about Orton and so many have argued with me. I was all for him at the beginning of the season but he has gotten worse every game. No he is not to blame for the loss but he didn't do anything to win it. Opposing defenses know if they shut down our running game Orton will not make the plays to win, its been that way all season.

Orton will not get better next year, he is what he is, we need a great running game and defense to win with him, right now we don't have either. Orton will not stretch the field and teams will stack everybody on line and shut down the running game and the offense.
        Prisoner of the moment again?

Let's see, week 4, he has 243 and 2 TDs, including a game winner to Brandon Marshall. The highest rushing total was Moreno at 65 yards, and they had like 110 for the whole team.

Week 5, New England. 330 yards, 2 TDs, and the game winning drive. Team had 103 yards, with Moreno having 88 of those yards.

Week 6, San Diego, 229 yards, 2 TDs. Team had 101 yards, and the highest was 46 yards by Buckhalter.

Those were three weeks out of the year where the team won, didn't have a strong running game, and Kyle had the ball.

This last week's loss was terrible. Orton was partially the reason for this, no doubt about it. The man has GOT to push it in more. Still, with that said, Denver's in a real good position right now. An upset of Philly, and Philly has about two games every year where they lose games they shouldn't, basically gives you guys a playoff berth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          This is not true.

The reason the bears are sucking is because they are trying to be less of a running team and more of a passing team. It hurt their running game and their passing game is obviously not where it needs to be to make up for the loss of the running game.
          Part of that is true I guess. The Bears have become a passing team for many reasons. One reason is because Cutler likes to give the opponent the ball and hand them an early lead. Otherwise the personnel dictates the Bears throw the ball as well. The Bears actually have decent receivers this year (unlike last year). And the only thing the line can do competently is pass block. So they end up passing the ball. Pretty simple actually, falling behind and lack of run game will dictate you pass.

Comment

Working...
          X