Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The bootleg might become a bronco staple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats again a silly comment Razor. Other teams DO use it. Just because Shanahan is using it more, or differently, than others doesn't make it a Gimmick play. I know that Tenn, Philly, Atlanta, and KC all use the boot leg, and variations of the boot leg. All teams have something they use differently than other teams. Its not like we use the boot every other play....except when its GIVEN to you (like against the Chiefs). Why woud you stop using something thats just given to you and its working? That doesn't make sense. A counter play has the running back start left and cut to the right side of the center... is that a gimmick play? Is play action a gimmick play?? No. Thats all the bootleg is. Play action with a rolling qb. The roll gives the option to pass if available, and take whats there if not... thats NOT gimmick. Thats pretty straight up football.

I will give Shanny his do when the Broncos win a Super Bowl with Jake

*laughs*... Yeah.. I see the Ravens going FAR with Boller!!! ahaahah. Come on. Its EASY to bet against ANY team in the NFL. Its an EASY bet to say they WON'T go to the SB. That doesnt take skill, nor does it take any knowledge. You obviously don't like Mike S... thats fine. But your constant remarks are ridiculous and have had holes PUNCHED through them time and time again. Shanahan has take his team to the playoffs TWICE in five years after losing a HoF QB. One of those years he did it after losing his 2000yrd rusher in week three, and his HoF TE in week 4. Two of those years, his name was in the mention for Coach of the Year. How many OTHER teams, that have lost a HoF QB in the last years, have gone back to the playoffs twice? None. SF went once. I think you are jealous of Mike S... I think you know how much everyone HATES your coach, and no one respects him. That bothers you. Just as your remarks and comments on the bootleg hold NO water, so do most of your other negative and critcizing posts. You simply like to throw out gasoline and a match. I'm not impressed.

Comment

Re: Ravage

Originally posted by Black59Razor
      Question for you...

If the Bootleg is such a great play, why is it not the staple of other offenses around the league...I mean, they have been running this play since football started, yet no one else uses it like the Broncos do...

I will give Shanny his do when the Broncos win a Super Bowl with Jake, and this play continues to be as big a part of the offense as it is now, until then, gimmick play...

i think you'd like the play if boller could acually run a boot
      sigpic
      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Re: Arapahoe

Don't play with me son...you obviopusly know nothing about Boller, and are just talking out of your a** ... one of Boller's strenghth's is his running ability...check out last Sundays game if you have any doubt...

Until you know what you are talking about, shut your piehole
        my my my did i hit a shallow nerve?

thats very typical of you, always on the insults, always on the put down, until someone says something you don't like then you automaticaly get your panties wadded up

so ya need to shut your own piehole.......son
        sigpic

Comment

hahahaha razor...

ill give you that boller is a mobile QB, and i do like that his idol is John Elway (and if you say ihe isnt you dont know what your talking about) but boller is not on the same level as plummer, and that is definate. the bootleg is NOT a gimmick play, a gimmick play is a reverse or a HB option, but the bootleg is a part of the game that is hard to perfect, and because Denvers linemen are quick and can pull to the right fast, and the TE are athletic the bootleg works in denver. if some scary LB gets in plummer's face you throw he ball away or find a short route to throw to, but he could always outrun the LB (and there is not one LB that can outrun jake, not one) sorry razor but after your KC predictions, you cannot be taken seriously,
          Blet

Comment

Raz,

I too think your offbase on the "gimmick" quote. For a lot of the same reasons mentioned. One caviat(sp) though. It only works if your running the ball effectively. The last 2 weeks Denver has not and I feel against Tampa we will see less of it as well. I really agree it is effective if you have the right personel to run it. In Jake we certainly have that. Your comment about the LB taking his head off(or something to that effect). Well they have been running it pretty consistently for a season and 3 games and I can only remember a handful of times he has even been touched.

Comment

Re: No

Look, I can take anything you can dish out, boy...

I only ask that you get it right...I am not a Boller fanatic, but what you said about his inabilty to move is just plain incorrect, in fact the reality is quite the opposite...I suspect that is because you have just followed others coments on this site, and have probably not seen Boller make one single solitary play...

The fact that you made that statement shows you have no idea of what you are talking about...

Come correct, or don't come at all...

look crow boy!! did i say boller couldnt run? i said he if he could accually run a boot ,,, denver with jake runs the boot better then any one WHY if it was just a gimmick play it wouldnt work as good as it does. denver and jake sell the bootleg, teams know we run it, teams plan for it, and it still works,,, thats not a gimmick,, SD's play pass to brees was a gimmick,,,

and so the fact that YOU made a statement like that shows you dont know what your talking about....BOY!
              sigpic

Comment

again, thats your opinion and not fact. Running the boot too many times is given to the person calling the plays,determined by what the defense gives them. I thought the bootleg was run too much vs the Chiefs.. but they just kept GIVING it to him. So how is that too much? Its not. Its not a gimmick play *laughs*.. I think you need to look up the definition for I have already punched holes in your 'gimmick' theory... and thus far, the only thing you can say to justify calling it a 'gimmick' is that you think its called too much.

ANY PLAYER can get hurt on ANY play at ANY time. So saying that you shouldn't roll your QB out because he may get hurt is suggesting that No QBs get hurt while sitting in the pocket.

Comment

and AGAIN... you are attempting to make it sound as though its a "gimmick" because it is used more often than YOU prefer. That isn't the definition of gimmick, and is only making you look stupid. Perhaps if a team throws the deep pass more than anyone else... its a gimmick? The Vikings throw the ball up high in the redzone so Moss can go up and get it, MUCH moreso than any other team in the league... thats a gimmick. The Ravens prefer to run the 'Bash" up the middle more than ANY other team in the league... so its a gimmick.
                  Jake is the greatest executuiner of the boot in NFL history?
                  Yeah, show me where I said ANYTHING like that whatsoever.

QB's in NFL history, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, etc. did not run the boot nearly as frequently...
                  but they did run it... so the frequency of the play run doesn't make it a 'gimmick'... sorry. But you are just WAY off base. Your personal opinions of Mike have clouded your reasonable thought of logic. Maybe thats why HE is considered the offensive genius, while you and Billick are not??

Comment

Originally posted by willynowei2
                    You guys make it sound too complicated....
                    You don't have to do anything to stop a bootleg....

If you're a defensive end your job is to keep a look out on the backside to prevent reverses or bootlegs and on Denvers bootleg the defensive end isnt even accounted for...you dont need anything except a Defensive end with enough intelligence to know how to take away the backside....
                    There are a handful of DEs that have the speed it takes to contain a mobile quarterback. Otherwise, I wouldn't rely on the DE to be able to chase down or contain guys like Plummer, McNabb, or Culpepper when they're out of the pocket.
                    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willynowei2
                      You guys make it sound too complicated....
                      You don't have to do anything to stop a bootleg....

If you're a defensive end your job is to keep a look out on the backside to prevent reverses or bootlegs and on Denvers bootleg the defensive end isnt even accounted for...you dont need anything except a Defensive end with enough intelligence to know how to take away the backside....
                      There are a handful of DEs that have the speed it takes to contain a mobile quarterback. Otherwise, I wouldn't rely on the DE to be able to chase down or contain guys like Plummer, McNabb, or Culpepper when they're out of the pocket.

sigpic

Comment

In regards to the intial post:

Isn't the bootleg that we have run this year, essentially the same play we have been running under Shannys entire tenure?

Sprint Right Option?

I see virtually no difference in when we had John faking to Terrel and rolling out and hitting Shannon or a WR cutting deep across the field, then I do now with Jake doing the same thing.

Obviously, Jake hasn't quite mastered the downfield game as masterfully as John did.
                        Originally posted by boltzpride619
                        What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

Originally posted by RunByDesign
                        True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

Answer: Championships.

Comment

yes.. it is the same play. Nothing different than what has been a part of this offense for years. Razor just has a person vendetta against Shanahan. I think he has a crush

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                            you can't just BLITZ linebackers all the time in expectations that the Broncos are going to bootleg... that linebacker blitzing causes holes that need to be filled. So you are saying the safety fills that hole? Then who fills in for the safety? Are you suggesting that everytime a LB blitzes it gets to the QB? Do you see that blitzing LBs make it easier to run? If it was SO easy to stop the bootleg, every defense would do it against us.
                            Incorrect. Have you ever heard of a run blitz? Blitzing weakside kills cutbacks and counter runs. A smart OLB can kill the draw before it even gets started. The weak LB is so far away from strong sweeps and power runs that he's not likely to figure heavily in those plays, but he prevents the runner from coming back the other way. It's not whether you blitz, it's how you blitz. Blitzing LBs is the BEST way to kill a run game. Secondly, you CAN blitz linebackers all the time if you like. Aggressive teams like the Redskins pride themselves on constantly pressuring the QB, and the weak LB is usually where the blitz is coming from. Or you can run 3-4 defense where the weak LB blitz 70-80% of the time. There's nothing inherently risky about blitzing a weak LB. In 3-4 nobody fills in for the LB because that's his primary responsibility, pressuring the QB and getting into the backfield to prevent cutback lanes from forming. In 4-3 the safety covers the TE and the FS covers all deep responsibility. So yeah, you can burn a team that blitzes out of the 4-3, but that's football. You concede the deep attack to pressure the QB and get into the backfield

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                            I didn't see a LB in Jakes face all game long. I saw us put up over TWICE the offensive yardage against them. I saw us accomplish what we needed to. So their "magic" defense wasn't exactly the formula to beat our bootleg. But we had the SAME problems we had last year.... the inability to put it in the endzone. I saw us able to pass the ball DOWN the field and put us in to the WINNING position...and fumble it away.
                            We did put up lots of yardage, but that had little to do with our offensive potency and everything to do with our defense keeping their offense off the field, allowing us to run 74 plays and limiting them to 40. Bootlegs had nothing to do with it.
                            Last edited by Lomax; 09-30-2004, 06:03 PM.

sigpic

Comment

you can't say bootlegs had nothing to do with it if they are part of the offense. Even if the threat of the bootleg forces them to play against it. Our offense was moving fine, nothing special by any means, but fine. It was our lack of being able to put the ball past the 3-1 or in the endzone that killed us. I didn't SAY the bootleg was the reason for ANYthing. I said you can NOT (despite your attempt to educate me on a 3-4 weakside blitz) BLITZ constantly in the effort to STOP the bootleg. Don't bring up 3-4 defenses when they don't apply. You still didn't give a lecture on how those blitzes effect the downfield coverage or how they fit into that coverage. Doesn't matter... My points were valide despite what you were attempting to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X