Champ ('06) v Woodson ('09) & Taylor-Elvis comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ ('06) v Woodson ('09) & Taylor-Elvis comparison

Charles Woodson (2009) -- 9 interceptions (three returned for TD), 74 total tackles (66 solo), 18 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, 2 sacks.

CHAMP BAILEY (2006) -- 10 interceptions (one returned for TD), 86 total tackles (74 solo), 21 passes defended, 1 fumble recovery.

=========================

Jayson Taylor (2006) -- 13.5 sacks, 61 total tackles (41 solo), 10 passes defended, 2 interceptions, 9 forced fumbles and 2 touchdowns.

Elvis Dumervil (2009) -- 17 sacks, 49 total tackles (42 solo), 4 forced fumbles, 3 passes defended.

-------------------------------------------

To be honest, I have no problem with these votes.... That JT edged Champ, or that CW blew away Elvis in the voting.

Credit to Champ & Elvis for even putting themselves in the mix.... Both had outstanding campaigns in their respective runs at the DEF MVP award.

The TDs and forced fumbles put both CW & JT over-the-top...

I've been thinking about this too. I still think Champ got robbed that year. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
      I've been thinking about this too. I still think Champ got robbed that year. Just my opinion though.
      I'm pretty sure CW just plays man (straight up).... but I could be wrong. The thing with CHAMP that year.... We had young kids playing on the other side, whereas CW had Al Harris.

I mean, I think what Champ did was incredible b/c he got his hand on 31 of the what? (50-something passes thrown his way)?

It was like they teste dhim once or twice a half, and he still was able to make a ton of plays.

Comment

I think Charles Woodson totally deserved the award. His season was phenomenal. Just to put things in perspective:

.Al Harris missed 6 regular season games. They also had to place Will Blackmon on IR. The Packers got so thin at CB they had to play with Josh Bell.

.Champ has 4 TDs in his career. Woodson scored 3 this season.

.Champ has 6 FF in his carrer. Woodson forced 4 fumbles this season.

The guy had a monster year. Add 18 deflections, 9 picks and 2 sacks... 33 years old... Wow. The guy has been really good for quite some time. 28 picks and 7 TDs in the last 4 years.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
          I think Charles Woodson totally deserved the award. His season was phenomenal. Just to put things in perspective:

.Al Harris missed 6 regular season games. They also had to place Will Blackmon on IR. The Packers got so thin at CB they had to play with Josh Bell.

.Champ has 4 TDs in his career. Woodson scored 3 this season.

.Champ has 6 FF in his carrer. Woodson forced 4 fumbles this season.

The guy had a monster year. Add 18 deflections, 9 picks and 2 sacks... 33 years old... Wow. The guy has been really good for quite some time. 28 picks and 7 TDs in the last 4 years.
          ur such a champ hater man, I agree that Woodson is great I'm the one every1 called crazy at the beginning of the year when I said he was the 3rd best corner in the game.....but you can't say Champ didn't get robbed in 06...that's what makes me mad, HE should've been the CB to break the streak, only 35 throws his way all year and he put up the numbers he did.... that's the only problem I have with this whole thing...

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
            ur such a champ hater man, I agree that Woodson is great I'm the one every1 called crazy at the beginning of the year when I said he was the 3rd best corner in the game.....but you can't say Champ didn't get robbed in 06...that's what makes me mad, HE should've been the CB to break the streak, only 35 throws his way all year and he put up the numbers he did.... that's the only problem I have with this whole thing...
            How am I a Champ hater and when did I say he did not get robbed? I just showed Woodson's stats in 2009...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              How am I a Champ hater and when did I say he did not get robbed? I just showed Woodson's stats in 2009...
              Don't get me wrong, I like most ur posts, but I just always see you tryna hate on Champ, and I partly understand y people hate on him, they expect every year to be 05 and 06 cuz we all got spoiled

but 06 was one of the greatest if not the GREATEST year ever by a cornerback in league history, especially number wise...but anyways, idc man, for the most part you have good posts so it's all good....

Here's to hopefully a great offseason and year...

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                Don't get me wrong, I like most ur posts, but I just always see you tryna hate on Champ, and I partly understand y people hate on him, they expect every year to be 05 and 06 cuz we all got spoiled

but 06 was one of the greatest if not the GREATEST year ever by a cornerback in league history, especially number wise...but anyways, idc man, for the most part you have good posts so it's all good....

Here's to hopefully a great offseason and year...

I totally agree. WITH MY OWN EYES, it was just so impressive what he did.... b/c people rarely threw at him.

CW was very good this year... He just had sexier stats (TDs, FF) much like Taylor in '06 b/c he had those 2 TDs and 11 turnovers-created.

BUT, who here feels CW is the better corner this year than D-Reevis? Let's just look at what opposing WRs did against DR this year and then compare that with the men CW covered. SURE, CW made a ton of plays, but I venture to guess WRs had better games against him.

DR just SHUT OUT OCHO in back-2-back games, while ARI scored 50+ points!

Comment

I think when it's all said and done, and Woodson and Bailey both continue to play at the level they are right now, Woodson will be known as the better corner in history. And before you say anything, Woodson was a very good corner in Oakland but once he left to GB he was a much better player because of the way they use him instead of just straight up man.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
                    I think when it's all said and done, and Woodson and Bailey both continue to play at the level they are right now, Woodson will be known as the better corner. And before you say anything, Woodson was a very good corner in Oakland but once he left to GB he was a much better player because of the way they use him instead of just straight up man.
                    Woodson might be the better cover corner but CHAMP is clearly the better all-around corner. Tackling is a big part of the game. Champ is better against the run.

CW: 616 solo tackles in 168 games
                    CB: 684 solo tackles in 166 games

Think about that. CHAMP has almost SEVENTY more tackles in two fewer games. WOW~!
                    Last edited by fraguela09; 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                      Woodson might be the better cover corner but CHAMP is clearly the better all-around corner. Tackling is a big part of the game. Champ is better against the run.

CW: 616 solo tackles in 168 games
                      CB: 684 solo tackles in 166 games

Think about that. CHAMP has almost SEVENTY more tackles in two fewer games. WOW~!
                      Okay..Cwood has much more FF, Sacks, TD's.. Champ just has tackles and I think one more INT. Cwood doesn't seem to have fallen off, seems to have actually gotten better as he's gotten older.

Champ:
                      Sacks: 2
                      Forced Fumbles: 8
                      Interceptions: 46
                      Yards after INT: 446
                      TD'S: 4

Cwood:
                      Sacks: 11.5
                      Forced Fumbles: 22
                      Interceptions: 45
                      Yards after INT: 785
                      TD'S: 9

I'm not taking any shots at Bailey because he's obviously one of the best corners of all time but I think when it's all said and done Cwood will be known as the better CB.
                      Last edited by RaiderFanSD; 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Okay..Cwood has much more FF, Sacks, TD's.. Champ just has tackles and I think one more INT. Cwood doesn't seem to have fallen off, seems to have actually gotten better as he's gotten older.

Again. It's great to create something. Strip a guy, sack another. It's all about how you're used. That's just me. How often does Champ blitz? CW? Who knows.

How often does CW miss a RB and give up a big play? Who knows.

Champ makes the tackle. Brings the guy down.

70 more tackles in 2 fewer game is significant. It tells me a lot more than a few sacks here or FF there.

As good a year as CW had this year.... ARI just lit GB up. KW had 4 incompletions and 5 TD catches. Larry Fitz had 2.

I saw CHAMP pick Brady off and win a playoff game. Let's talk about what CW has done in the post season.

Comment

Again. It's great to create something. Strip a guy, sack another. It's all about how you're used. That's just me. How often does Champ blitz? CW? Who knows.

How often does CW miss a RB and give up a big play? Who knows.

Champ makes the tackle. Brings the guy down.

70 more tackles in 2 fewer game is significant. It tells me a lot more than a few sacks here or FF there.

As good a year as CW had this year.... ARI just lit GB up. KW had 4 incompletions and 5 TD catches. Larry Fitz had 2.

I saw CHAMP pick Brady off and win a playoff game. Let's talk about what CW has done in the post season.
                          Okay, you have you're opinion and I have mine. All I know is Woodson has continued to play at a top 3 level while Bailey has been slowly fading away.

And what has Cwood done in the playoffs? Got screwed by the tuck rule..
                          Last edited by RaiderFanSD; 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Okay, you have you're opinion and I have mine. All I know is Woodson has continued to play at a top 3 level while Bailey has been slowly fading away.

And what has Cwood done in the playoffs? Got screwed by the tuck rule..
                            Maybe it had more to do with WHO they were playing, than anything else...

While CHAMP was facing P-Manning, T-Brady, P-Rivers, E-Manning C-Wood was facing SEA, STL, DET, SF.

Anyway.... all I know is I just watched CW get lit up on Sunday.

Comment

Maybe it had more to do with WHO they were playing, than anything else...

While CHAMP was facing P-Manning, T-Brady, P-Rivers, E-Manning C-Wood was facing SEA, STL, DET, SF.

Anyway.... all I know is I just watched CW get lit up on Sunday.
                              Wow, way to be selective.. You only mention the teams with bad QB's for Woodson.. And Champ has faced Russell, Cassel, Flacco, Campbell.. see how easy that is?

All I know(and most football fans would agree) is that Cwood has been be better player the last few years and is one of the best players in football in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X