Broncos tell Law he is "Welcome Back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
    How sad... But at least Ashley Lelie had a lot of talent and could have become a great weapon for us especially with Cutler at quarterback. Unfortunately he lost his mind and ruined his career after we brought Javon Walker. The guy made a lot of big plays and had amazing hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Dz-5yE4fQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjY1...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol0OPLNljd8&NR=1
    no offense, but Lelie was horrible, he could never catch the pass that hit him on the hands or chest, but if you needed that hail mary, incredible catch he was there at times....not a #1 receiver, ever

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
      This is why I think people are spazzing so much. They're judging him like a 1st round pick rather than what he actually is, a 2nd rounder.

The reality of the fact is we most likely did this because it's very, very hard to pay 4 first round picks in 2 years. It was as much of a salary cap move as a move to get a player we liked.
      If you USE a first round pick for the guy, no matter when he was taken... then he's a first round choice.

If I pay you 10 dollars, even if I'm at the 1 dollar store, how much did I really pay.... 1 or 10?

Doesn't matter that he has a 2nd round salary... what matters is we USED a 1st round pick for him... period.

So yeah.. people are going to judge him as being a FIRST round pick,because thats what we used to get him.

The reality is that we did this, because McD admitted he only had 100 players on his board. He mis-used his draft picks, and went after a guy he had on HIS first round board. I don't think it had a single thing to do with paying a first round salary.
      So if a first round pick is being beaten out by an undrafted, practice squadder.... thats bothersome.

Comment

Originally posted by 22cannon View Post
        no offense, but Lelie was horrible, he could never catch the pass that hit him on the hands or chest, but if you needed that hail mary, incredible catch he was there at times....not a #1 receiver, ever
        He wasn't horrible, in the least and he would have been a VERY good #2... as he was for us. Don't exaggerate simply because he left in a huff.

Comment

Originally posted by Neleus2 View Post
          Wouldn't you be mad if your wife's miata ran better than your bentley?
          I'd be happy I had a Bentley and a well running Miata

Comment

I wonder if one of the reasons Law would be asked back would be to work with young guys like Smith?

He may have lost a step, but he could probably teach the young guys a thing or two!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
              If you USE a first round pick for the guy, no matter when he was taken... then he's a first round choice.

If I pay you 10 dollars, even if I'm at the 1 dollar store, how much did I really pay.... 1 or 10?

Doesn't matter that he has a 2nd round salary... what matters is we USED a 1st round pick for him... period.

So yeah.. people are going to judge him as being a FIRST round pick,because thats what we used to get him.

The reality is that we did this, because McD admitted he only had 100 players on his board. He mis-used his draft picks, and went after a guy he had on HIS first round board. I don't think it had a single thing to do with paying a first round salary.
              So if a first round pick is being beaten out by an undrafted, practice squadder.... thats bothersome.
              So? We still shouldn't be judging him as if he was taken in the first round, he wasn't. Simple matter is he wasn't a first round player that year, but we thought getting him then was more important for our team than getting a CB this year. Last year was a very deep and very good cornerback class. Phonso this year would probably be a low 1st rounder anyways.

I don't mind the pick at the moment. We desperately need CB's going into the future and it was a common thing in New England to get low 1st/2nd round players, let them develop, and then they become impressive starters.

Comment

Lelie wasn't terrible on the Broncos. Did you forget the play action roll out with the Snake heaving it to Lelie on the fly. He stretched the field and was a big part of our sucess in 2005
                sigpic

Comment

I think he had amazing hands. Look at the 2006 divisional playoff game against the Patriots for example. He was making great short catches and also stretching the field.
                  sigpic

Comment

Shanny's draft was PAR at best...

You could look back at our scouts...and the later rounds is where we made our MONEY...

TD, Marshall, Gary, Anderson ect. ect. ect.

It was his first and second round picks that were BOOM or BUST...Take a look see...

I'll give you

Clady, Wilson,Mobley, Pryce, Cutler, Williams...In round #1

But then theres this...

Nash
                    O'neil
                    Middlebrooks
                    Lelie
                    Foster
                    No first in 2005...Traded

Outta those #1's 3 are still playing, 3 retired on thier terms...The others, well you know...

Second round
                    2008 Eddie Royal Coulda had...Ray Rice, Matt Forte
                    2007 Tim Crowder Coulda had... Whole 3rd round was a BUST
                    2006 Tony Sheffler Coulda had NO one...BUST
                    2005 Darrent Williams Coulda had Vincent Jax, McFadden,O.J Atogwe,Gore,Channing Crowder,Morrison,Justin Tuck...Good Draft...
                    2004 Tatum Bell Darrius Watts Coulda had... Travis Laboy, Tank Johnson,BOB SANDERS,DARNELL DOCKETT,MAX STARKS,NICK HARDWICK, CHRIS COOLEY,
                    2003 Terry Pierce Coulda had...Anquan Boldin,OSI UMENYIORA...WOW...Lance Briggs, Jason Whitten,Nate Burleson
                    2002 Clinton Portis Coulda had...Sheldon Brown, Brian Westbrook
                    2001 Paul Toviessi Coulda had...Shaun Rogers,Adrien Wilson,Steve Smith
                    2000 Ian Gold Kenoy Kennedy Coulda had...Draft was weak...
                    1999 Montae Reagor Lennie Friedmen Coulda had...Joey Porter

I'm not saying it was all bad...Becouse we won 2 Championships and drafted about 50/50...

And its really easy to look back and say...WOW what were they thinking...But on some of these it was like that...The first round is even more...***...If we coulda only...but we didn't...I say take a look back at our drafts and see some of the guys that coulda wore the Its kinda cool...
                    sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      So? We still shouldn't be judging him as if he was taken in the first round, he wasn't. Simple matter is he wasn't a first round player that year, but we thought getting him then was more important for our team than getting a CB this year. Last year was a very deep and very good cornerback class. Phonso this year would probably be a low 1st rounder anyways.

I don't mind the pick at the moment. We desperately need CB's going into the future and it was a common thing in New England to get low 1st/2nd round players, let them develop, and then they become impressive starters.

SO.. if you use a first round pick to get him, it means you LOSE a first round choice to select him. THUS... you treat him as if he was a first round pick. He has the VALUE of a first round selection, since you can no longer use our first round pick on another player BECAUSE of using it on him.

So yes.. you absolutely should be judging him as a first round pick, because thats what you used on him. If he wasn't worth a first round pick (and he wasn't) then we should NOT have used a first round pick to move up and get him. That the ONLY reason you use a first round pick to get the guy, is if you feel he's worth a first round choice.

Comment

Law was out of football, he couldn't make a team and none were interested till Denver had to sign him out of retirement
                        Law could have made a team and i believe that there were some teams interested in him, but in the backend of law's career, he still wanted to get paid like he was in his prime, so teams backed off, the only team that would pay him was the JETS, and we see that didn't last long!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                          SO.. if you use a first round pick to get him, it means you LOSE a first round choice to select him. THUS... you treat him as if he was a first round pick. He has the VALUE of a first round selection, since you can no longer use our first round pick on another player BECAUSE of using it on him.So yes.. you absolutely should be judging him as a first round pick, because thats what you used on him. If he wasn't worth a first round pick (and he wasn't) then we should NOT have used a first round pick to move up and get him. That the ONLY reason you use a first round pick to get the guy, is if you feel he's worth a first round choice.

I dont agree with you often...But I do on this...

If Smith doesn't work out like we would like, it will be a VERY BAD trade. He will always be compaired to whoever the Hawks draft this year...

Or at least I will, and I'm a PRO-JOSH guy...This is one of those moves I don't like...But then again who knows, maybe Bowlen Didn't want to pay for 2 #1's
                          sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                            I want to see what Alphonso Smith will show in 2010, the guy was a major disappointment in every aspect of the game. If he can't beat Ty Law and Tony Carter for playing time, things will get ugly especially because soon people will compare his value to the rookie that Seattle will draft with the 14th overall pick.
                            Agreed, although the only bright side in Fonzy was a lot cheaper than a 14th overall as well as our 10th in the same year. If he steps up next year, it will cure a lot of adversity still.

Comment

Working...
                            X