No announcement yet.

Is Tony Scheffler just a fan favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tony Scheffler just a fan favorite?

All the contorversy about Tony had me look up his stats.

In 2007 his best year he had 49 catches ranking him 10th best among tight ends

In 2008 he had 40 catches ranking him 19th in catches among tight ends.

Is a middle of the pack tight end really worth the fuss among fans?
    "Respect is not given it is earned dog gonit...and they don't respect us...nobody respects us...you know what you got to do in that situation? TAKE IT!!! TAKE IT!!"

Its not all about numbers. He made some of the nicest catches at the most crucial times, and stepped up big in big games.

Comment

Scheffler's decent but I'm not going to lose any sleep over him leaving this team. It wouldn't hurt to see what Richard Quinn could do... on offense that is I loved when he batted down that pass by KC's punter on 4th down.

Comment

Originally posted by TRUEBRONCOFAN24 View Post
        Scheffler's decent but I'm not going to lose any sleep over him leaving this team. It wouldn't hurt to see what Richard Quinn could do... on offense that is I loved when he batted down that pass by KC's punter on 4th down.
        Same. Hes good, but were not going to be doomed forever offensively if we dont keep him.
        LET 'ER BUCK!!!
        Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Originally posted by HurricaneDovs View Post
          Same. Hes good, but were not going to be doomed forever offensively if we dont keep him.
          I seriously think its more of a mcd vs shanny thing. People that are pro shanny are making a big deal about sheffler cause he was a shanny guy. He's just an average player
          "Respect is not given it is earned dog gonit...and they don't respect us...nobody respects us...you know what you got to do in that situation? TAKE IT!!! TAKE IT!!"

Comment

Losing Sheffler isnt abig deal. hell, last year when we trade for seattle's 2nd pick, the announcer thought we traded sheffler and I cheered for him to be gone.

I think what people are upset about is that MCd benched him before a must win game (when Marshall, and royal were out and Graham was doubtful
            ) and never had the cojones to tell TYony why he was benching him or even talk to him as a man.
            sigpic

Comment

He's not physical enough to be a blocking TE

I actually think Scheff should shed some weight, work on his speed and convert to wideout. He just isnt physical enough to be in the trenches blocking.
              Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Scheffler is a top 10 receiving TE in the league. Last year he had 40 receptions, despite Marshall having over 100 and Royal having 90+. Scheffler also missed 3 games due to injury and averaged 16.1 yards a catch last year. TE's with his talent do not grow on trees and he will be missed.

Comment

He is a fan favorite...But he is very skilled...Owen Daniels mold...If Shanny's Offense was still around he would be a top 10 TE every year...

But this isn't Shanny's Offense, and we dont do alot of bootleg...sneek the TE out on a seem route...

But I bet some one still does, oh ya Washington does

3rd rounder...DEAL!
                  sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
                    Scheffler is a top 10 receiving TE in the league. Last year he had 40 receptions, despite Marshall having over 100 and Royal having 90+. Scheffler also missed 3 games due to injury and averaged 16.1 yards a catch last year. TE's with his talent do not grow on trees and he will be missed.
                    Point is, he wont be missed in THIS SYSTEM. TE's arent a major part of the offense as receivers, they are used more as blockers. So, its likely that Scheff would be happier and a better fit somewhere else. I just hope we get a good value for him and dont just give him up.
                    Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Scheff is a beast. hes like the white todd heap
                      sigpic

Comment

the numbers dont really show how important he is to the offense he has stepped up in critical situations though but the only thing about him is that hes way to soft for a TE

you cant dent his speed and his mis matches for the opposing defense

Comment

Originally posted by Pratama View Post
                          Point is, he wont be missed in THIS SYSTEM. TE's arent a major part of the offense as receivers, they are used more as blockers. So, its likely that Scheff would be happier and a better fit somewhere else. I just hope we get a good value for him and dont just give him up.
                          Yep, I agree. In McD's system the TE is only for blocking. His talent will still be missed, as well as Marshall's and Hillis'.

Comment

If this was still Shanny's system, he would be sorely missed. But alas, it's not. The TE is hardly ever utilized in this offense. He'll be better off somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
                              Definitely wouldn't say top 10

1. Vernon Davis
                              2. Antonio Gates
                              3. Dallas Clark
                              4. Jason Witten
                              5. Tony Gonzalez
                              6. Chris Cooley
                              7. Kellen Winslow
                              8. Brent Celek
                              9. Owen Daniels
                              10. Heath Miller
                              11. Jermichael Finley
                              12. Jeremy Shockey
                              13. Visanthae Shancoe

I'd take them over him.

Then I'd stick Scheffler around the middle of the pack with guys like

Gregg Olsen
                              Kevin Boss
                              Fred Davis
                              John Carlson
                              Todd Heap

But get this, Scheff doesn't even start cause he can't/won't block to save his life. All those guys start and block pretty damn well.

So as a pure receiver, he's not top 10, and as a starter he's not even close to top 10 material.

Scheffler is not that good guys. Sorry. Do I like him? Yes. Do I hate his pathetic efforts at blocking? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X