A little blurb on Martindale, Ben McDaniels, and the new O-line coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little blurb on Martindale, Ben McDaniels, and the new O-line coaches

The Broncos are expected to divide the duties between two assistants to coach their offensive line.

Bob Wylie, a long-time NFL assistant who has spent the last three years in the Canadian Football League, will be an assistant offensive line coach as will Clancy Barone, who coached the team’s tight ends this past season.

The two will join incoming running backs coach Eric Studesville in new positions on the staff. Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has also interviewed both former Patriots assistant Dean Pees and Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale for the team’s defensive coordinator position. Martindale is expected by some in the league to get the nod.

Ben McDaniels, an offensive assistant for the Broncos and Josh McDaniels’ younger brother, has been considered for a larger role on the staff as well and is a possibility to replace Barone as tight ends coach.

The Broncos could formally announce their hires as soon as Friday.
    Link

Lots of info in this.

Somebody in this thread is going to get offended over this news, and I'll have quite a chuckle.

Thanks for the update. :salute!:
    Brock you like a hurricane!
    sigpic
    Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
      Link

Lots of info in this.
      Thanks for the update.. I like the two OL coaches. Still hope we get Pees from NE to be the DC. Let Martindale stay with the LB's.

Comment

Don Martindale

Don Martindale, a 23-year coaching veteran with experience as a college defensive coordinator and a coach on a Division 1-AA National Championship team, is in his fifth year as the Raiders linebackers coach. In 2007, Martindale’s unit included players who ranked first and second while totaling 10 interceptions. Thomas Howard led the AFC in interception return yards and was tied for fifth in the NFL with six interceptions, while Kirk Morrison had four. In addition, linebackers ranked first (Morrison), second (Howard) and fourth (Robert Thomas) in tackles.

In 2006, Martindale’s unit helped the Raiders finish first in the NFL in pass defense and third in the league in total defense. He tutored a corps that included Kirk Morrison, who finished 11th in the NFL in tackles and Thomas Howard, who placed second in the NFL among rookies in tackles.

In 2005, Martindale coached a linebacking unit that included Kirk Morrison, who led all NFL rookies in tackles. Morrison and Danny Clark each had more than 100 tackles in 2005, to rank among the league leaders and only four other teams had two linebackers in the top-25 in tackles. Under the tutelage of Martindale, Clark also finished eighth in the NFL in total stops in 2004.

Martindale spent three seasons at Western Kentucky, serving as the Hilltoppers inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator. He also helped produce a group of linebackers that were considered among I-AA’s best. In 2003 he was defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky when they ranked sixth in the nation in total defense. In 2002, his unit played a key role in helping Western Kentucky capture the NCAA Division 1 AA National Championship.

Martindale entered the coaching ranks as an assistant at his alma mater, Defiance College, in 1986. In 1987, he was defensive coordinator at Defiance and then spent the next six years coaching at the Ohio high school level.

The Dayton, Ohio native was a defensive assistant at Notre Dame from 1994-1995, helping the Irish earn a berth in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl and the 1996 Orange Bowl. Martindale then coached defensive ends at the University of Cincinnati in 1996 before spending the 1997 and 1998 seasons as the Bearcats linebackers coach and special teams coordinator.

He helped Cincinnati appear in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl as the defense was in the top five nationally both against the run and in forced turnovers. In addition, special teams topped the conference in at least one category in both seasons he mentored the group. In addition, his special teams units topped the conference in at least one category during his tenure.

In 1999, Martindale was defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Western Illinois where they were in second in the nation in total defense. His family includes wife Laura, daughter Cassie and son Ty.

Link:
        http://broncosfreaks.com/index.php/2...on-martindale/
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
          Don Martindale, a 23-year coaching veteran with experience as a college defensive coordinator and a coach on a Division 1-AA National Championship team, is in his fifth year as the Raiders linebackers coach. In 2007, Martindale’s unit included players who ranked first and second while totaling 10 interceptions. Thomas Howard led the AFC in interception return yards and was tied for fifth in the NFL with six interceptions, while Kirk Morrison had four. In addition, linebackers ranked first (Morrison), second (Howard) and fourth (Robert Thomas) in tackles.

In 2006, Martindale’s unit helped the Raiders finish first in the NFL in pass defense and third in the league in total defense. He tutored a corps that included Kirk Morrison, who finished 11th in the NFL in tackles and Thomas Howard, who placed second in the NFL among rookies in tackles.

In 2005, Martindale coached a linebacking unit that included Kirk Morrison, who led all NFL rookies in tackles. Morrison and Danny Clark each had more than 100 tackles in 2005, to rank among the league leaders and only four other teams had two linebackers in the top-25 in tackles. Under the tutelage of Martindale, Clark also finished eighth in the NFL in total stops in 2004.

Martindale spent three seasons at Western Kentucky, serving as the Hilltoppers inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator. He also helped produce a group of linebackers that were considered among I-AA’s best. In 2003 he was defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky when they ranked sixth in the nation in total defense. In 2002, his unit played a key role in helping Western Kentucky capture the NCAA Division 1 AA National Championship.

Martindale entered the coaching ranks as an assistant at his alma mater, Defiance College, in 1986. In 1987, he was defensive coordinator at Defiance and then spent the next six years coaching at the Ohio high school level.

The Dayton, Ohio native was a defensive assistant at Notre Dame from 1994-1995, helping the Irish earn a berth in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl and the 1996 Orange Bowl. Martindale then coached defensive ends at the University of Cincinnati in 1996 before spending the 1997 and 1998 seasons as the Bearcats linebackers coach and special teams coordinator.

He helped Cincinnati appear in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl as the defense was in the top five nationally both against the run and in forced turnovers. In addition, special teams topped the conference in at least one category in both seasons he mentored the group. In addition, his special teams units topped the conference in at least one category during his tenure.

In 1999, Martindale was defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Western Illinois where they were in second in the nation in total defense. His family includes wife Laura, daughter Cassie and son Ty.

Link:
          http://broncosfreaks.com/index.php/2...on-martindale/
          I like Martindale, just hope he stays with the LB's.. Would rather have Pees as DC.

Comment

Andra Davis on Martindale for DC. From Link

Not knowing who McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders have in mind as a candidate to replace Nolan surely didn’t stop Davis from offering a friendly recommendation.

“Our linebackers coach, Don Martindale, would be great. When it’s your position coach, you know them a lot more from being around them. Your relationship is more personal. The way he had us prepare, coach Wink (Martindale’s nickname) definitely knew his X’s and O’s. Hands down, Wink is one of the best coaches I have worked with,” emphasized Davis.

Davis and two other Broncos defenseman suggested coach Martindale was the best internal candidate to replace Nolan when asked on Monday.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
              Somebody in this thread is going to get offended over this news, and I'll have quite a chuckle.

Thanks for the update. :salute!:
              i found it funny when people were up in arms last year around the time of Mcd's hiring because he brought on his little brother. I don't think he would have brought him on if he didnt have some football knowledge.
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                i found it funny when people were up in arms last year around the time of Mcd's hiring because he brought on his little brother. I don't think he would have brought him on if he didnt have some football knowledge.
                Yeah, I'm just weary of the uproar caused by every little damn thing that goes on.

As long as I see results next season, I'm alright with the decisions. Not like I can change anything by getting worked up.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                  Yeah, I'm just weary of the uproar caused by every little damn thing that goes on.

As long as I see results next season, I'm alright with the decisions. Not like I can change anything by getting worked up.

I'm worried about what its going to be like at training camp next year. . . there are always a bunch of jerks there anyway who show up after downing some "liquid courage" at Rock Bottom; I wonder how many people are going to get tossed out?
                  Last edited by jetrazor74; 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM.
                  Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Pratama View Post
                    I'm worried about what its going to be like at training camp next year. . . there are always a bunch of D-bags there anyway who show up after downing some "liquid courage" at Rock Bottom; I wonder how many people are going to get tossed out?
                    Dunno. That's a long ways away for me.
                    sigpic

Comment

If Pees doesnt get the job, its because he has some health issues. I think thats part of the reason behind the 'mutual agreement to leave NE. At least that is what they said on the radio.

Mcd's brother has no real coaching experience and does not deserve to be coaching a position in the nfl at his age. Then again, Mcd had no experience when he got his break at NE, which goes to prove the old addage, its not what you know, but who you know.

Ben McDaniels
                      Coaching Assistant

Ben McDaniels enters his first season as a coaching assistant for the Denver Broncos in 2009. He was named to that position on Jan. 21, 2009, after spending three years coaching at the high school level in Ohio and working for two seasons as a graduate assistant at the University of Minnesota.

McDaniels spent the previous three years coaching high school football in Ohio, instructing quarterbacks for Massillon Jackson High School (Massillon, Ohio) in 2008 after a two-year stint coaching that position at Canton McKinley Senior High School (Canton, Ohio) from 2006-07. He began his coaching career in 2003 as a wide receivers coach at Warren Harding High School (Warren, Ohio) before coaching as a graduate assistant at Minnesota for two years from 2004-05.

At Massillon Jackson High School in 2008, McDaniels coached quarterbacks and assisted with play calling and opponent scouting. He spent 2006-07 as a quarterbacks coach at Canton McKinley, helping the school post a 12-2 record and advance to the state semifinals in 2006.

McDaniels worked for the University of Minnesota as a graduate assistant under Head Coach Glen Mason from 2004-05. The Golden Gophers posted a 7-5 record and earned a berth in the Music City Bowl during each of those two seasons with McDaniels working with the wide receivers in 2004 and the defensive backs in 2005.

While at Minnesota in 2005, McDaniels was part of its team that recaptured the "Little Brown Jug" with a victory over the University of Michigan. The last-second road win marked the Golden Gophers' first victory against Michigan since 1986 in one of college football's oldest rivalries.

McDaniels was a quarterback at Kent State University under Head Coach Dean Pees from 1999-2001 after playing for Canton McKinley, which he led to a 37-3 record and two state championships during his three years as a starter. He set school career and single-season records for passing yardage and touchdowns while helping it earn a No. 1 national ranking from USA Today in 1997.

His father, Thom McDaniels, coached him for two years (1996-97) in high school and established himself as one of the state's most celebrated coaches during his 16-year career (1982-97) as Canton McKinley's head coach. McDaniels also coached under his father in 2008 when he was Massillon Jackson High School's head coach and in 2003 when he was Warren Harding High School's head coach.

The younger brother of Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels, Ben McDaniels received a bachelor's degree in sport management from Kent State and a master's degree in sport management from Minnesota. He was born on June 6, 1980, in Barberton, Ohio.
                      hell- my coaching resume is damn impressive compared to mini mcd.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post

hell- my coaching resume is damn impressive compared to mini mcd.
                        Eh. No. Prolly not.

Comment

Ben and Josh come from a strong football background, they grew up in Canton and their father is a well respected HS coach. Of course, to find this out does take a slight effort to look up, and the haters can't be bothered with looking up Ben and Josh's background

To think that since Josh is the head coach that Ben wouldn't have any skills would be like saying since Peyton Manning is a great QB, Eli wouldn't have any skills.

I'm sure the ragers will find something to get pissed about and question their background no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                            I like Martindale, just hope he stays with the LB's.. Would rather have Pees as DC.
                            Pees has health concerns, which means Martindale is probably the favorite.

It's a great opportunity for a young coach, who knows what he can become.

Rex Ryan spend several years as a positon coach before he finally got the nod in Baltimore (he spend a couple of years under Mike Nolan).

Martindale has had a variety of experiences, so the DC opportunity makes sense for him.

Comment

Martindale would be a better selection than Pees but not as good as Nolan

Comment

Working...
                              X