X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martindale gets the nod...

Looks like wink is going to be the new DC according to the post. :go:

Lineup changes: Coaching pieces fall into place

The Broncos have not made an official announcement, but NFL sources have confirmed the following new arrivals or job changes on tap for the team's coaching staff:

Defensive coordinator.

Veteran assistant Dean Pees, like many in the league, initially believed he was the front-runner to replace Mike Nolan. But Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale, 46, appears to be the choice after meeting with coach Josh McDaniels.

The Ohio native has been a linebackers coach since arriving in the NFL in 2004 with the Oakland Raiders. He was last a defensive coordinator in 2003 at Western Kentucky.

Two league sources said Friday night McDaniels also gave a look to Patriots linebackers coach Matt Patricia, who is a candidate to be promoted to defensive coordinator in New England.

The rest of the article with more on the other coaches below.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0dQMgGVDq

sigpic

Good move IMO..

He already has a rapport with the players, he's familiar with McD and the organization, he has an idea of what we wanted to do with the D last year..good move..

Now hopefully we have a good draft and FA and finish the new makeup of our D..

Comment

I suppose this'll be alright, going with a guy already familiar with the players.

Does this mean we stay in the 3-4?
      A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
        I suppose this'll be alright, going with a guy already familiar with the players.

Does this mean we stay in the 3-4?
        Yeah, McD is a 3-4 guy all the way!
        sigpic

Comment

Martindale

I think that is a good choice. If Nolan won't stay, give someone like Martindale a shot. I don't think that Pees was the right guy, anyhow.

Comment

Anyone know how his defenses did when he was a college DC?

Comment

Originally posted by Redemption13 View Post
              Anyone know how his defenses did when he was a college DC?
              If I remeber correctly they were number 2 in the nation in DII.

In another article I saw, he was on of the finalist for the HC job in oakland when cable was retained. There were some who thought he was going to get it over cable.

I like the familarity aspect of it and I know andra davis was raving about him being one of the best coaches he's ever had. He mentioned in an article that he was hoping wink would get the position and that he knew his x's and o's.

Correction, his d was 6th in the nation DII with a national championship also.
              Last edited by elecshoc; 01-23-2010, 03:02 AM. Reason: correction

sigpic

Comment

I really do not know how to feel.Yes it is good he is getting a shot.Having a guy who has worked with the players is good.But after losing Nolan i just cant seem to get pumped up with this selection.

Comment

Pretty solid, now who's gonna be the LB coach?

Comment

Now ...

... we get to see if the Broncos want to bring in another LB coach, or just have Roman Phifer coach the backers by himself.

Ed Donatell, a former college DC himself, coaches the DBs.

Does Jay Rodgers help Donatell?
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I am excited I was really pulling for Martindale but I would have been happy with Pees. I am really happy Martindale is getting his shot what he has done with LBs everywhere he's been is amazing now I am really excited to see what he can do with the entire defense.

Comment

Originally posted by elecshoc View Post
                        Looks like wink is going to be the new DC according to the post. :go:
                        I love it.... all offseason I will get to pontificate if this D will be in tops or bottom of the league.... as we know, there in no middle ground for this squad...
                        A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dakotabroncofan View Post
                          I really do not know how to feel.Yes it is good he is getting a shot.Having a guy who has worked with the players is good.But after losing Nolan i just cant seem to get pumped up with this selection.
                          He is getting his first chance to run an NFL defense. I guess when you have a rookie HC, and a rookie gm...its time to hire a rookie DC.

None of us know how he will do....its totally unpredicatble at this point.
                          sigpic

Comment

Im kind of glad Pees wasnt the choice. His defenses were always really up and down.

Hopefully Martindale is up to the job, and we dont see a drop off from the backers.
                            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Nice. Glad to see an inside hire. It creates much more stability without bringing in somebody brand new, and a lot of defensive guys were suggesting him for the job.

I really like the pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X