No announcement yet.

Denver Broncos fans lack true spirit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos fans lack true spirit...

Found this link on MHR from BShrout. A neat little article about the authors perspective on state of "Mile High Magic."

Arapahoe Herald (Arapahoe High School)

:salute!:

Denver Broncos Fans Lack True Spirit
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 By Anna Dreiling

Broncos Country has lost a legend. Tim McKernan, better known as the Barrel Man, died on Dec. 5, and with him died the last remnants of classic Mile High Magic.

My family has been attending Denver Broncos games since 1960. We bought season tickets in 1963, and since then, the Broncos have been an integral part of our family dynamic.

We’ve loved the team through ups and downs, wins and losses, Super Bowl victories and playoff failures.

In all our 50 years of fanship, we have seen the team change and develop in many ways, for better and for worse. In the past few seasons, however, the changes have been significantly negative, but not because of anything the men playing the game have done. Rather, the problem lies in the twelfth man.
    The problem is the fans… and lack thereof.

In the early years of Broncos country, five or six thousand hardy fans showed up in the cold and wet to watch a barely mediocre team battle unsuccessfully. These early fans set the tone for the thousands of hard-core fans who began to surface in later seasons, even as Denver struggled to win.
    As the years went by, opposing teams began to dread “Mile High Magic” – the thunder of stomping feet, the craziness of the South Stands, the joyous “IN-COM-PLETE” after every failed pass.

The opposing teams knew that this enthusiasm somehow persisted, no matter the Broncos’ record, the team’s ability or even the temperature. No other place personified such a classic home field advantage as Denver and its Mile High Stadium.

After years of struggling, the 1997 season finally allowed fans to share success with their beloved Broncos. The team won Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII, and in the months and weeks after each season, few would have been surprised if Coloradans had elected John Elway the governor and permanently changed the state flag to orange and blue.

It was the high point for Mile High Magic. The Broncos fans were many, proud and active.

But somehow, in the years since the Super Bowl victories, the Broncos fans have lost their spirit. The home team advantage has all but disappeared.

Now, any given Broncos’ home game is likely to have half the stadium filled with opposing team fans. The season ticket holders sell off their tickets to the eager opposition, leaving the rest of us true Broncos fans to put up with the obnoxious, loud fans that fill their stead.

Most of the people who still attend the Broncos games agree that the change was caused by a generational gap. The fans who are inheriting tickets now never understood what it felt like to be supporting a true underdog team, and therefore don’t value or appreciate the responsibility of being a true fan.

If we are ever to gain back Mile High Magic, Denver fans will need to step it up. We cannot continue to sell tickets to opposing team fans at the rate we are now, and when we do come to the games, we cannot slack on cheering.
    If Denver fans work harder, we can win back the title of twelfth man. If we do so, the Barrel Man’s memory will live on forever, just as he would like it: as Mile High Magic.

sigpic

Good freakin post, i Agree! Im 26 now been a Bronco fan since they made orange n blue clothes for toddlers.Ive been to 3 gms YELLEN my Butt off come to find .............not alot of fans behind me but the ones cheering for oppppppp.......I look like an idiot ...But who gives a raiders a** not me! I CHEEEEER LOUDER !! unfortuneally I cant offord season ticks But 4 All dat do STEP IT UP 4 REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:go:
    sigpic Tha100%RetuRN...

Comment

I read this, and the truth hurts sometimes! Its sad that there isnt some rule saying that you can sell tickets to opponents fans (I know there's no way to enforce it, I just thought it would be nice.)
      Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

The real crime is that we've booed our own team at a practice showing. The real crime is that we booed Simms when he appeared on the jumbotron during the Thanksgiving game.

Fans who boo their team are trash - there's no redemption for them either. A true fan will never do that.
        Brock you like a hurricane!
        sigpic
        Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
          Fans who boo their team are trash - there's no redemption for them either. A true fan will never do that.
          Guess there arent many true fans on here because people do that all the time on these forums. I can understand when you criticize a guy, but to many people just are on here that come out and just say this player sucks or this player was stupid to draft, and then claim to be a bronco fan. I 100% agree with your statement.
          sigpic

Team Tebow #267

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyBronco24 View Post
            Guess there arent many true fans on here because people do that all the time on these forums. I can understand when you criticize a guy, but to many people just are on here that come out and just say this player sucks or this player was stupid to draft, and then claim to be a bronco fan. I 100% agree with your statement.
            You can say you want a guy to play better. You can say you want somebody else instead. You can even say you don't like the direction of the team.

But you never disrespect the Broncos on the field.
            Brock you like a hurricane!
            sigpic
            Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Booing is good when players don't show effort. Most of the time though thats not the case.

Comment

I tend to look at it this way.

Once we got those Super Bowl victories it was like the monkey was off our backs. The weight had been lifted off the shoulders of the entire organization and we the fans could hold our heads up high for the first time and claim to be World Champions.

But good things can be bad.

It set a tone and fans started demanding perfection, constant success, or a dynasty if you will.

Since we have not basked in the glory of hoisting a trophy for so long now, the natives have been restless just itching to get back to the top and criticizing the team for their imperfections and failure to be the top dog on the block.

But 12 years isn't really that long if you think about how long it took to get the job done in the first place. Bronco fans should remember there are several teams and their fans that have never reached the pinacle. (Stole that word from Elway)

We got spoiled winning back to back and until we actually do win another Super Bowl, many will continue to practice their negative ways. But even then, the bar will be raised once again.

I for one support this team and everyone on it regardless.

I'm A Broncoholic.
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm.... unfortunately this article does seem to reflect some of the Broncos younger teenage/youth fans. Yet, I'm a fan of the younger generation and I don't hate on our players. Sometimes I think certain players aren't quite ready for the NFL i.e. [Chris Simms] and the like, but I don't hate on them because they aren't good. I find in a lot of my friends who are Bronco fans they tend to like the team when they're winning and ditch the team in hard times.

I am still going to support Denver all the way, and am saving up to buy a new jersey.
                  sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

But you never disrespect the Broncos on the field.
                    Exactly! Never ever disrespect the Broncos! I tried to cp you, but it wouldn't let me right now so I owe you one. :go:

Comment

Originally posted by broncosgal24 View Post
                      Exactly! Never ever disrespect the Broncos! I tried to cp you, but it wouldn't let me right now so I owe you one. :go:
                      Agreed. Fargo made an outstanding statement and I gave him a CP to cover us for now. :salute!:

:usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

The Pittsburgh game last year on Monday night proves this although Steelers fans have been doing this for years with no credit to their fan base.

Comment

I agree with the OP 100%. I think there are four major factors as to why we are losing the homefield advantage.

1. Invesco's 'club' level. There are about 10,000 seats that are so highly priced that real loud fans, the ones that hollar and get rowdy, just cant afford them. Those tickets go to coportations who dont even use them half the time. Bowlen sold a bit of the mile high magic for more money and I don't ever see him changing that.

2. Aging fan base- From my experience at thegames, about half of the season ticket holders are over 50 years old. They just dont have the energy to be 'loud and rowdy' like they use to. I count tell you how many times older fans have asked me to 'sit down'. (I tend to jum up during big plays)

3. Inherited season tickets. If you sat on a waiting list for 5 years to get your tickets, you are going to be much less likely to sell them to fans of opposing teams than if you inherited them. Many people who have season tickets never even intend to go to a game all season.

4. economy- times are tight and some people have no choice but to sell their tickets.

The glory days of Mile High Stadium are gone, but that doesnt mean that Invesco cant get loud. The AFC championship game against Pittsburgh was as loud as any game I remember in Mile High.

Basically, Denver is like every other city now. They have to provide a product that gets the fans excited. Four non playoff seasons in a row isnt going to do that.
                          sigpic

Comment

The real crime is that we've booed our own team at a practice showing. The real crime is that we booed Simms when he appeared on the jumbotron during the Thanksgiving game.

Yea, I was at that practice game during TC when the fans were boo'ing....I was pretty upset by it. IMO opinion, it shows poor sportsmanship to boo your team in that capacity.....We as Bronco fans are spoiled and petulent, and we need to learn what it means to stand by the orange and blue again. We used to know, but we lost it somewhere along the line. It makes me sad.

People who boo their team on a regular basis will say things like "it's my right to show how I feel about the direction of the team".....but it usually doesn't stop at just "booing"...it also usually involves lots of negative and disparaging remarks.....but if you really love your team, why would you do that? Would you do the same thing to a person you loved?

I'm just sayin', if you really care about your team, and you have any idea what sportsmanship is.....than you are probably NOT one of those guys that spends alot of time booing and talking poo about the Broncos.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
                              Booing is good when players don't show effort. Most of the time though thats not the case.
                              Really?? So have you ever been down on a field of play and everyone was booing YOU.....did that make you want to try harder?

Comment

Working...
                              X