Old School Broncomania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Broncomania

Driving home last night I was listening to the Zoo Crew on KOA who were talking about how the fans have changed. I realized that I've become quite spoiled with the recent success of the Broncos.

I remember that when I was younger it didn't matter how ugly the win was as long as Denver won. Everyone celebrated the win instead of criticizing the performance of particular athletes and/or coaches. The important thing was the win. Those were much happier days for me even though we never saw much post-season play and didn't even think the Super Bowl was anything but a dream.

This past season (and especially this week) I've seen my fanaticism for the Broncos wane into criticism of players and am going to stop the slow slide into cynicism that I've seen take root in my family when we lost 3 super bowls in 4 yrs! I will not let it happen and from this day forward I will celebrate the wins and grieve the losses but will not criticize any personnel in the Broncos organization for their performance in each!

No more will I be critical of who did what or who didn't do what. In the end I'm not good enough to be out there so I don't have any authority to comment. The coach has forgotten more football than I've ever learned and the players have athletic abilities that I can only dream of. I have no right to be critical of their performance or decisions. It is my duty to support the team I love regardless of what happens each week. Therefore, I am returning to the days of my youth when watching the Broncos play was the greatest joy on Sunday afternoons whether it ended in victory or defeat.

Long live the Broncos!!!

Nice read, GF!
    I too remember it the way you do.....can't LIVE in the past......but we can bring some positives from it!
    Thanks for a reminder of why and HOW I should love dem Broncs!
    GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ron

Comment

GF: It's a new age and a different time. Fans are more critical then ever! We have chat rooms, message boards and stupid expert writers!

Of course we're going to start bashing players....you know why? Because they get paid to do it.

If I was doing bad at work, I'm sure my bosses will complain. It's a part of life now and football is a business...so if a short stack running back has the case of the butter fingers....fans will say something about it.

Now if he does good (and like in the real world), nobody will notice it.

But I do get your point though. Those 3 Super Bowl losses hurt then, but since the Broncos are built to win EVERY YEAR, you have nothing but high expectations and if something goes wrong, you'll hear about it.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
        GF: It's a new age and a different time. Fans are more critical then ever! We have chat rooms, message boards and stupid expert writers!

Of course we're going to start bashing players....you know why? Because they get paid to do it.

If I was doing bad at work, I'm sure my bosses will complain. It's a part of life now and football is a business...so if a short stack running back has the case of the butter fingers....fans will say something about it.

Now if he does good (and like in the real world), nobody will notice it.

But I do get your point though. Those 3 Super Bowl losses hurt then, but since the Broncos are built to win EVERY YEAR, you have nothing but high expectations and if something goes wrong, you'll hear about it.

I agree that the NFL and its fans have changed over the past 20 years which in some respects is sad.

To carry your anology further, we aren't the bosses of the players or coaches so we don't have a right to criticize. We are the consumers of their product (games on Sunday.) If we don't like the product we can consume someone else's product if we like and yes we can complain.

But realistically, complaining isn't going to do much as the coaches & players are doing their best to make the best product they can already where in the business world consumer complaints are used to motivate the producer to make a better product. That's already happening in the team regardless of how much we complain. If anything complaining makes it harder for the players and coaches to make the best product they can.

Comment

Awww yes. I have some very fond and very bad memories. I remember Elway's first years and how frustrating that was at times. I sat in Mile High Stadium numerous times without season tickets. Every Sunday we would dress up in our Bronco gear and head to the stadium without tickets. We ALWAYS found a scalper selling and not once did we have to go back home.

We had some rough years there for a while and then when TD came on board to help us (and John) get those Super Bowl wins it was really quite special. The thing that sucked was I was living in Las Vegas during the SB wins and missed out on all of the hoopla and celebrations.

I remember when we beat the Browns with "the Drive" we went down to the airport to meet the team when they got home. Um... us and about 50,000 other people too!! LOL! I-70 was a parking lot, the streets around the Stapleton airport were totally blocked because people left their cars in the middle of the road because they thought they would miss seeing the team. Tow trucks everywhere, people everywhere and I had never witnessed anything like that. Truly crazy. Broncomania was known world wide.

Broncomania was alive then and and once we got those SB wins it was raised to a new level. We got spoiled and everyone expects us to win every year. Expectations are very high and whether we win or lose, I LOVE THE BRONCOS!

I am a Bronco Maniac for life!!
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I've notcied the same thing myself. I don't want to be critical of other fans but I think people would just have more fun in general if they celebrated wins and mourned losses rather than mourning close wins and going into a rage of criticism at a lost. People need to chill out because every team is going to lose which means every team is gonna have players who screw up.
            My Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey

Comment

Every week 32 teams hit the field (obviously bye weeks come into play here) and 16 of these teams are going to lose. Bottom Line. Every city would love their team to go 16-0 but that just isn't facing reality.

And that goes for us too. We are going to lose games. Period. Finger pointing and bad mouthing isn't going to change things.

Shanny is the coach and he making his game plan from week to week to give us the best oportunity to win. Players are going to have good games and bad games. Offenses will struggle and then explode. Defense will control and then allow.

I think the excitement level and anticipation of game day is what makes this sport so great. I grin ear to ear for a week after a win and get sad after a loss.

So live on Broncomania!! I for one am here to support our team regardless of the outcome.

sigpic

Comment

that is until next year when we go undefeated.
                My Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey

Comment

%95 of the NFL players play for money....

Comment

Originally posted by Lynch Bailey247
                    %95 of the NFL players play for money....
                    I think that that maybe part of the problem. Obviously you guys get to see more of games than I do ( I might see 2 games this season on TV), so you are in a better position to criticise than I am only listening to the KOA feed. However long gone are the days where a player like Snow Goose, for example, are picked up in the tai lend of the draft & stay for their entire careers. As with soccer in the UK, because it is so much easier, for a variety of reasons, for players to move on & not show loyalty, fans also are harder on every mistake that a guy will make.

Way back when, Players would be looked at 'Well he played 13 good game and 3 bad ones, so let's see if he can better that next year', nowadays it would be ' He lost us 3 games this year, lets get rid'

I don't particuarly think that it's just an attitude with sport, it's life in general.
                    The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                    You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Thanks Glue for starting this thread. Perhaps those people complaining would read our comments and put Broncomania into perspective.

I really do miss those good ol days but at the same time love the now!

sigpic

Comment

2 words...

Great post.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you. I'm tired of the BS bickering about this and that. Let's get back to basic fanaticism - celebrate the wins and grieve the losses. Many teams would die to have the success the Broncos have had. We need to appreciate the hard work the players & coaches give.

Comment

you are also viewing and hearing the criticism from the view point as an adult now.. and not a kid. You have more understanding of the game.. and more understanding that the players DO have faults that you don't want to accept...as opposed to when you were a kid.

Comment

Actually, I'm just tired of the criticism from myself. I will comment on what I thought of the game but will not be critical of what the players or coaches did (refs are exempt) by saying he should have dont this or that.

I might from time to time express frustration at something but that's as far as I intend to go, ie why didn't Shanahan call more sweeps against the Jags? That was frustrating but I'm not going to call for SHanny's head for it either. Just expressing my frustration at a loss (ie grieving.)

Comment

Working...
                              X