X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still like giving up our 2010 1st round pick for a 2009 2nd round pick

In another thread someone brought up the idea of having this OL

Clady Iupati Pouncey Kuper Harris

Personally I think that would be a great foundation for a solid offense for years.

If we had two 1st rounds picks would could take 2 of these players

Iupati
    Pouncey
    McClain
    Dez
    Kindle

Outside of Kindle I think all of them would definately be better for the Broncos then Alphonso Smith and imo they all would start in 2010 while Smith is probably not even going to be the starting nickel back. Kindle may be a better player but he essentially would have the same role as Ayers.

If the team was really worried about salaries then take the two OL. OL (specially Guards and Centers) do not get paid as much as other players drafted in the first round. Clady was not even in the top 10 of highest paid players on the team in 2009.

Think it is pretty obvious that trading our 1st rounder in 2010 for a 2nd in 2009 was a bad idea.
    Yes
    29.07%
    No
    70.93%
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    In another thread someone brought up the idea of having this OL

Clady Iupati Pouncey Kuper Harris

Personally I think that would be a great foundation for a solid offense for years.

If we had two 1st rounds picks would could take 2 of these players

Iupati
    Pouncey
    McClain
    Dez
    Kindle

Outside of Kindle I think all of them would definately be better for the Broncos then Alphonso Smith and imo they all would start in 2010 while Smith is probably not even going to be the starting nickel back. Kindle may be a better player but he essentially would have the same role as Ayers.

If the team was really worried about salaries then take the two OL. OL (specially Guards and Centers) do not get paid as much as other players drafted in the first round. Clady was not even in the top 10 of highest paid players on the team in 2009.

Think it is pretty obvious that trading our 1st rounder in 2010 for a 2nd in 2009 was a bad idea.
    I don't think it's obvious it was a bad idea, and I don't think it was a bad idea. Drafting players is a crapshoot, and let's say we still had that pick and the player busts, everybody would be wondering why we didn't take the proposed trade to get Alphonso Smith. Just because all of those players did well in college doesn't mean they are going to be amazing in the NFL, why don't we just wait and see Smith's improvement before we start saying he was a "bad idea"?

Comment

Poll needs a 'never liked the trade' option. They knew how deep this year's draft was going to be before last year's draft.

Comment

Add this thread to the bazillion other threads that disapprove of last years trade. It's to early to tell how A. Smith will turn out, so why pick a scab and get everyone all fired up again.

I honestly didn't like the trade when it happened then but we still don't know how it will turn out yet. As others have said in older threads, Mike Jenkins looked like a bust for the Cowboys when they drafted him, but now he is a pro-bowler.

Just don't understand why we have to beat a dead horse.

(I personally like horses)
        I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
        I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
        I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
        "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
        God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
        Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

hindsights 20/20 isnt it

but who's to say that pouncey or whoever busts and smith becomes a pro bowler
          Last edited by SBboundBRONCOS; 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM.
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
            hindsights 20/20 isnt it

but whose to say that pouncey or whoever busts and smith becomes a pro bowler
            This ain't hindsight. Everyone knew 2010 was a boomer draft. Trading a 2009 2nd for a 2010 1st was Al Davis-level stupid in 2009. It's still Al Davis-level stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Spanky View Post
              This ain't hindsight. Everyone knew 2010 was a boomer draft. Trading a 2009 2nd for a 2010 1st was Al Davis-level stupid in 2009. It's still Al Davis-level stupid.
              umm not really id still say smith would be a top 2-3 CB in this draft so w/e

i dont like the value but we needed a CB mcd had him rated as a first rounder so he gave up a first rounder to get him

i dont think its the end of the world
              sigpic
              -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                i dont think its the end of the world
                That would be December 2012
                I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
                I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
                I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
                "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
                God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
                Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

If we didn't take a corner last year we'd still need a corner this year.

And we don't need Iupati and Pouncey. Olsen was hand picked last year and he's gonna get the chance to start at LG. All we need is a Center. Lets get Walton or Tennant in the 2nd/3rd.

Comment

Oh it's not the end of the world at all, just a really, really boneheaded move.

There are better ways to get a corner than by gutting a 1st pick in the 2010 draft.

Comment

There are better ways to get a corner than by gutting a 1st pick in the 2010 draft.
                      Uhh yeah like drafting one with our 1st pick in the 2010 draft?
                      Last edited by Hoserman117; 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Yea I agree.

This has nothing to do with hindsight.

People knew last year this draft was going to be deep in talent in many different spots.

We did not know last year we were going to need OL help but we were aware we may need a QB or DL.

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
                        It's to early to tell how A. Smith will turn out, so why pick a scab and get everyone all fired up again.
                        I do agree things can still work out but do you really think it is likely Smith is going to go from a DB who struggles to be starter at the nickel spot to a quality starter in the league.

Not saying it cann't happen but I am saying it is very unlikely.

Poll needs a 'never liked the trade' option. They knew how deep this year's draft was going to be before last year's draft.
                        yea probably should have put that in there but figured a simple no would be enough.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure you say that now. If you look at the first 6 games of 2009-10 you wouldn't be complaining about Phonzo.

Some guys take a while to develop and corner is one of the tougher positions to play.

I believe Smith will be a good corner. He just needs time. And at the moment we have players a head of him who can allow him to get that time.
                          sigpic
                          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                            Yeah, I'm sure you say that now. If you look at the first 6 games of 2009-10 you wouldn't be complaining about Phonzo.

Some guys take a while to develop and corner is one of the tougher positions to play.

I believe Smith will be a good corner. He just needs time. And at the moment we have players a head of him who can allow him to get that time.
                            I was complaining about reaching for Phonse when they did it

He may very well turn in to a good corner. Way too early to call him a bust. It is not too early to call that we reached for him, and gave up a cherry pick in a kinghell good draft in 2010 for it.

eta: I do think it's pretty funny that we traded with Seattle for him though. They're supposed to be the ones obsessed with slow, short corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                              If we didn't take a corner last year we'd still need a corner this year.
                              Apparently we still need a corner even after drafting Smith.

We signed two CBs during the 2009 season who played more then Smith during the last half of the season.

Plus we signed a CB in the 2010 free agency.

So we gave a 1st round pick to get a CB and still have needs at CB even though the starters we have (Champ and Goodman) are pretty good.

Imo it is pretty obvious the move was a failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X