No announcement yet.

Still like giving up our 2010 1st round pick for a 2009 2nd round pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like the trade because we would be able make a lot of things with two 1st round picks. It would be easier for us to trade down and get extra picks. Also, we could have kept Dre' Bly and Jack Williams. Or even DJ Johnson. So far Alphonso Smith has not proved he is better than any of those guys. Actually, he was outplayed by Ty Law and Tony Carter, going down the depth chart. He needs to step up and show he was a good pick for the Broncos. As I said before, the pressure will only grow now that he is not a rookie anymore and our former 1st round pick will finally turn into a player making plays in the NFL.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
      I do agree things can still work out but do you really think it is likely Smith is going to go from a DB who struggles to be starter at the nickel spot to a quality starter in the league.

Not saying it cann't happen but I am saying it is very unlikely.
      Nnamdi
      Mike Jenkins
      Brent Grimes
      Zach Bowman
      Leigh Bodden
      Tramon Williams
      Antonio Cromartie (He still kinda stinks, but he's okay)

And many, many more.

Comment

Apparently we still need a corner even after drafting Smith.

We signed two CBs during the 2009 season who played more then Smith during the last half of the season.

Plus we signed a CB in the 2010 free agency.

So we gave a 1st round pick to get a CB and still have needs at CB even though the starters we have (Champ and Goodman) are pretty good.

Imo it is pretty obvious the move was a failure.
        The two CB's we signed were Ty Law who has a 2% chance of making the final team this year and Tony Carter who we got off our practice squad.

The CB we signed in the 2010 free agency is Nate Jones who also plays special teams and safety. He's a versatile player who gives us youth and depth at multiple positions and signals the end of Law. It allows us to activate fewer secondary players on gamedays since he can play both safety and corner, giving us an additional spot to activate a DL player since we're most likely going to use a heavy rotation.

Right now as corners we have: Champ, Goodie, Jones, Phonso, and Carter. Carter is most likely never going to get gameday action except maybe in the Colts game.

If you think you seriously think one bad rookie season for a corner means the move is a failure then I shouldn't be talking to you

Comment

Remember when Alphonso's great speed was going to be an asset on special teams... anyone?

It's not to early in that aspect to call him a bust.

I'll chalk it up to a rookie mistake by McD.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post
            Remember when Alphonso's great speed was going to be an asset on special teams... anyone?

His great speed was deflated in the combine. He ran linebacker-speed.

eta: and even coaches get to make rookie mistakes, so there you have it

Comment

Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post

Nobody ever raved about his speed

Again, if you're going to make assumptions on rookie seasons then Mark Anderson (who?) is the best DE in the NFL and Brent Grimes should be riding the bench in the UFL.

Comment

Ughh, give Smith time. Jeez, he was a ROOOKIE, ROOKIE.. CB is one of the toughest positions transition to in the NFL. Even if we dont take Smith, we still have a need at CB. He would be the 2nd or 3rd best CB in this draft behind Haden. For the OL, Olsen was hand picked and will have the opportunity to start at LG. All we need is a OC, so im hoping we get Walton, i'd like a playmaker with our 1st rounder.

Comment

And the crying continues. At last moan about something that matters to the Broncos now.

Comment

What is it you hope to accomplish with this thread, other than inciting a a fight? It's awfully easy to say something like this after the fact......

Bottom line: we don't have that pick anymore, and it doesn't do anyone any good to look back. Why don't we just get behind Alfonso and hope he becomes the player they hoped he would be when they used that pick to get him.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      Nnamdi
                      Mike Jenkins
                      Brent Grimes
                      Zach Bowman
                      Leigh Bodden
                      Tramon Williams
                      Antonio Cromartie (He still kinda stinks, but he's okay)

And many, many more.
                      Those pages do not tell the full story but since you want to go there lets do it.

You do realize a few of those guys were actually starting their rookie years? They are NOT in the same boat as Alphonso Smith

Even if you count the 2 guys who seemed to struggle as much as smith that still supports my point.

You found 2 or 3 guys in all of the 64 starting DBs and 32 more starting nickels who struggled as much or more then smith then went on to start in the NFL.

I am sure you could find allot more then 2 or 3 DBs who are out of the NFL with those similiar struggles.

Like I said it can happen but it is very unlikely at this point.

Originally posted by 4th Amigo View Post
                      What is it you hope to accomplish with this thread, other than inciting a a fight? It's awfully easy to say something like this after the fact......

Bottom line: we don't have that pick anymore, and it doesn't do anyone any good to look back. Why don't we just get behind Alfonso and hope he becomes the player they hoped he would be when they used that pick to get him.....
                      1. Allot of people did not like this when it was done; me included.
                      2. Obviously by the posts in this thread some people STILL think it was a good idea
                      3. If we do not learn from our mistakes we will keep making them
                      4. Discussion is fun

Originally posted by sntnl View Post
                      And the crying continues. At last moan about something that matters to the Broncos now.
                      Not having the number 14 pick in 3 weeks with so many players available at that spot we could probably use seem pretty "now" to me
                      Last edited by Hadez; 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Those pages do not tell the full story but since you want to go there lets do it.

You do realize a few of those guys were actually starting their rookie years? They are NOT in the same boat as Alphonso Smith

Even if you count the 2 guys who seemed to struggle as much as smith that still supports my point.

You found 2 or 3 guys in all of the 64 starting DBs and 32 more starting nickels who struggled as much or more then smith then went on to start in the NFL.

I am sure you could find allot more then 2 or 3 DBs who are out of the NFL with those similiar struggles.

Like I said it can happen but it is very unlikely at this point.
                        I found guys who came out to be very good players, if you want me to go through all 96 starting corners and nickel corners I promise you I can find WAY more who struggled as rookies.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          I found guys who came out to be very good players, if you want me to go through all 96 starting corners and nickel corners I promise you I can find WAY more who struggled as rookies.
                          not the point....there is still the fact that smith may very well have been on the board when our next pick came up

secondly i can take a guy like jack williams struggling...or darrent...but when you spend what amounts to a overall 14th pick in the first round...cause we need a solid nickle, you expect him to produce!!!....instead we have to pull a undrafted guy from practise squad and bring in a over the hill vet to play the position

Comment

NO, that was the move that sealed Josh's fate in my mind....

I don't even believe it was done with Football interests in mind, but rather financial.

Comment

The Broncos had Smith graded as a first round pick so I'm fine with the trade. It's not like they had him graded as a second round pick and gave up a first round pick to get him.

Whether his play justified the trade is irrelevant. There have been plenty of players whose play didn't seem to justify where they were picked or how it was that the team was in a position to pick them. The fact is, Smith's play in college justified the grade the Broncos had on him. If he doesn't turn out to be a good NFL player then so be it. It wouldn't have been the first nor will it have been the last time that a team got burned by drafting a player, thinking that he would help them win football games.
                              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                              You Mad Bro?
                              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                                hindsights 20/20 isnt it

but who's to say that pouncey or whoever busts and smith becomes a pro bowler
                                exactly, it is still too early to tell if Smith is going to be good or not. I'll save my judgement untill I know for sure that the trade was a good one or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X