No announcement yet.

Still like giving up our 2010 1st round pick for a 2009 2nd round pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it. Phons is gonna be a monster once the coaching staff moves him outside.

Comment

I'm all for giving players chances but no I would never have done this trade again.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Josh View Post
        NO, that was the move that sealed Josh's fate in my mind....

I don't even believe it was done with Football interests in mind, but rather financial.
        But you also have to understand that, even if we had that 14th overall there's no guarantee that player is going to perform well either. I say let's just wait and let Smith develop, he was only a rookie :salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by KnockoutOrton8 View Post
          But you also have to understand that, even if we had that 14th overall there's no guarantee that player is going to perform well either. I say let's just wait and let Smith develop, he was only a rookie :salute!:
          True, if it pans out might not be a bad deal, but many tend to believe we did not even need to make that trade to get him. he was horrible last season, had we not vested so much in him he would have been cut, rather then Jack when Ty came on board.

Comment

Invalid poll as it sets up a false dichotomy. It's not just a yes or no answer.

How about: too early to tell yet, need to see what happens with Alphonse.

You don't ever really know what will happen with a rookie and how long it will take them to develop. When you draft someone in the low rounds, you HOPE you are getting someone who can contribute right away, but that's not always the case for a lot of reasons.
            You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Personally I dont hate the move but it made me scratch my head at first. I like Smith a lot and think he is going to come up big for us this season. With all that said its hard not think about the idea of us having the #11 & #14 picks this year with such a talented draft class. But that idea needs to get out of everyones head and just accept that Smith is on the team and we need to give him our support!!!

I would also like to add that the whole trading this years #1 for Smith may not have been all McDaniels choice. With us paying for Moreno & Ayers last year and paying for 2 #1 choices this year may have caused Bowlen to call up McDaniels and tell him he cant really afford to pay for 4 #1 picks in 2 years. Its not necessarily true but just think about that idea!

Either way :go:
              sigpic

Comment

Let's ...

... revisit the question in two years. :salute!:
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post

You don't ever really know what will happen with a rookie and how long it will take them to develop. When you draft someone in the low rounds, you HOPE you are getting someone who can contribute right away, but that's not always the case for a lot of reasons.
                  I concur, although in theory you can have a poll that just says yes or no, leaving out all of the possibilities. In that regard, the yes / no concept is really not doing this thing justice. I can not believe people know anything more than this:

Alphonso may turn out to be a pro bowler.....Whereas whoever we would have picked may not.

I also don't like rehashing this thing. If it was a mistake, so be it! Life goes on. In that regard, remember all the smart picks as well, including the good FA signings over the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    I concur, although in theory you can have a poll that just says yes or no, leaving out all of the possibilities. In that regard, the yes / no concept is really not doing this thing justice. I can not believe people know anything more than this:

Alphonso may turn out to be a pro bowler.....Whereas whoever we would have picked may not.

I also don't like rehashing this thing. If it was a mistake, so be it! Life goes on. In that regard, remember all the smart picks as well, including the good FA signings over the last 2 years.
                    Good point Can, I agree buddy.
                    sigpic

Comment

Can not make everyone happy.

Someone else did not like the fact I did not include the option they never liked it from day one. Almost put that one in but left it out.

You want to me to allow people to vote "ask me later" and then when I do ask you later someone else will say "Why are you asking this again!!"

Do not like it...then do not vote...pretty simple

Btw every poll fails on some level or another

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      I have not forgotten the good. Dawk, Gaffney, Goodman and imo most of the signings this year will turn out for the better. Also until you brought this up I did not bring up Chris Simms...did you realize Chris Simms was in the top 10 in Bronco player salaries in 2009? Neither did I OMG!

You should not expect it to be swept under the rug when the pick we gave up has not even been used yet. Even after the draft is over I am sure it will come up again even if I do not bring it up.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Did you guys actually watch Smith last season? He looked utterly lost, especially in the red zone. If you're going to trade a first for a second round pick, you better be darn sure that player is going to come in and make an immediate impact. A first rounder from this year at the 14th position by most accounts would be able to make a difference for this team. That is a "NOW" issue.

Dominique Foxworth should be here and we should never be having this conversation. I miss Foxy
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post
                          Did you guys actually watch Smith last season? He looked utterly lost, especially in the red zone. If you're going to trade a first for a second round pick, you better be darn sure that player is going to come in and make an immediate impact. A first rounder from this year at the 14th position by most accounts would be able to make a difference for this team. That is a "NOW" issue.

Dominique Foxworth should be here and we should never be having this conversation. I miss Foxy
                          I don't miss Foxy. Foxy isn't a very good cover corner. He plays off his guy around 10-15 yards and gives up the short stuff all day long. Go back and watch the AFCCG when we played Pittsburgh and watch how the Steelers abused him.

As for your claim that "you better be darn sure that player is going to come in and make an immediate impact," that's nonsense too. The fact of the matter is that when you draft, you don't know for sure if the guy you draft will make an immediate impact or not. Look at Ryan Leaf, for example.

It's one of the reasons why the owners are balking at the escalating costs of rookie contracts. They pay outlandish amounts of money to players taken in the first two rounds that have perhaps a 50% chance of having an NFL career. And fewer than that will start or have "an immediate impact."

Of course, when you draft that high, that's what you WANT, but there is no guarantee of it.

And I'm sure Smith is aware of the fact that the Broncos didn't trust him to be able to make an impact this season either, from their off-season acquisitions. He either has to figure out how to adjust to the pro game and make an impact and earn playing time or he can figure that after this season he could be gone.

Comment

We're gonna have to wait and see.

Chill out peeps.

Comment

I don't miss Foxy. Foxy isn't a very good cover corner. He plays off his guy around 10-15 yards and gives up the short stuff all day long. Go back and watch the AFCCG when we played Pittsburgh and watch how the Steelers abused him.

As for your claim that "you better be darn sure that player is going to come in and make an immediate impact," that's nonsense too. The fact of the matter is that when you draft, you don't know for sure if the guy you draft will make an immediate impact or not. Look at Ryan Leaf, for example.
                              I think Foxy had a great season in 2009. I thought that 10 yard gap off the LOS was the system for Coyer?

Ryan Leaf. When all else fails in logic talking the draft, use Ryan Leaf. To even attempt to parable that example with AS, it would have been like the chargers trading their 99 and 2000 first rounders for that pick. Did they do that? Denver traded away a pick what 20-30 spots higher and got a player who failed to do much of anything, and was not only replayed by Ty Law, but also TONY CARTER, who btw I thought played ok given his circumstances, you know being far from essentially a first round draft pick.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post
                                I think Foxy had a great season in 2009. I thought that 10 yard gap off the LOS was the system for Coyer?
                                He wasn't much better in Atlanta, as they got rid of him the next season. Where is he now? He's a backup corner somewhere else now, I believe.

Ryan Leaf. When all else fails in logic talking the draft, use Ryan Leaf. To even attempt to parable that example with AS, it would have been like the chargers trading their 99 and 2000 first rounders for that pick. Did they do that? Denver traded away a pick what 20-30 spots higher and got a player who failed to do much of anything, and was not only replayed by Ty Law, but also TONY CARTER, who btw I thought played ok given his circumstances, you know being far from essentially a first round draft pick.
                                Which simply proves my point. First, anyone who thinks they are getting something great in the draft besides a great gamble is fooling themselves. Only AFTER a player has played a few seasons in the NFL and shown that they aren't a one season wonder or never-was can you pronounce them a success.

As for Leaf, I use him as one of the most spectacular examples of a team drafting someone high, thinking they have solved their problems, and then discovering that they were mistaken. You can plug in the draft bust of your choice. I suppose I could use Jarvis Moss, but there are still some diehard Moss fans who want to give him a bit more time.

I myself point out that the same Chargers thought Drew Brees was going to be a bust and drafted/traded for Phillip Rivers. Of course, the season that Rivers was drafted was the season Brees finally broke out and showed the kind of QB he was capable of being. That was, what, his fourth or fifth season?

Comment

Working...
                                X