Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still like giving up our 2010 1st round pick for a 2009 2nd round pick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Foxy in 2009 started every game for the Ravens, could easily start again next year, and had 3 ints in the last three games of the season. I would say starting on a high caliber defense like the Ravens is doing ok for yourself. Just another magical example of we mishandled player personal in the last part of the decade. We received a hill of beans for him, while we struggle to find another corner to fill his spot.

    I'm not going to the point of calling AS a bust yet (except I will his "speed"), but I didn't see anything that looked encouraging, from the play of the field, to coaches comments etc etc. I'm failing to see his upside. I hope he proves me wrong this season.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post
      I'm not going to the point of calling AS a bust yet (except I will his "speed"), but I didn't see anything that looked encouraging
      As far as I remember Alphonso never was known for having great speed. His size and speed were concerns while his instinct and ball skills were his strenghts (playmaking ability).
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post
        Foxy in 2009 started every game for the Ravens, could easily start again next year, and had 3 ints in the last three games of the season. I would say starting on a high caliber defense like the Ravens is doing ok for yourself. Just another magical example of we mishandled player personal in the last part of the decade. We received a hill of beans for him, while we struggle to find another corner to fill his spot.

        I'm not going to the point of calling AS a bust yet (except I will his "speed"), but I didn't see anything that looked encouraging, from the play of the field, to coaches comments etc etc. I'm failing to see his upside. I hope he proves me wrong this season.
        Smith was never supposed to have great speed.

        And yeah, I still don't know why we traded Foxworth for so little.

        Comment


        • #49
          Hind sight is 20/20

          Speculation and second guessing doesn't change anything. For all any of us know Alphonso Smith will develope into an all-pro.While the guys the OP would love for us to draft will be complete flops. The draft is a crap shoot no matter the round or pick. Look at Jamarcus Russel for gods sake.
          Originally posted by baphamet
          are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by IA_Broncosfan53 View Post
            Foxy in 2009 started every game for the Ravens, could easily start again next year, and had 3 ints in the last three games of the season. I would say starting on a high caliber defense like the Ravens is doing ok for yourself. Just another magical example of we mishandled player personal in the last part of the decade. We received a hill of beans for him, while we struggle to find another corner to fill his spot.

            I'm not going to the point of calling AS a bust yet (except I will his "speed"), but I didn't see anything that looked encouraging, from the play of the field, to coaches comments etc etc. I'm failing to see his upside. I hope he proves me wrong this season.
            And everyone agreed the Ravens weak link was the corners http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-the-buck/
            Originally posted by baphamet
            are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              Hind sight is 20/20
              Speculation and second guessing doesn't change anything. ...
              Good point, but two "busts" (Ayers, Quinn) and three "maybe back-ups" (Moreno, Smith, McBath) is inexcusable.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by sage View Post
                Good point, but two "busts" (Ayers, Quinn) and three "maybe back-ups" (Moreno, Smith, McBath) is inexcusable.
                Calling Ayers and Quinn busts at this point is totally unfounded, don't you think?

                Comment


                • #53
                  I hate that we did it only because if Smith doesn't pan out i'll have to hear about it from these boards for another 5 years...

                  Still love that we did it though! Phonz was my favorite player prospect out of the 09 draft
                  Winner of the 2012 Broncomania GM game

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    The thing about this is that you cant really acuse people of second guessing. There was so much criticism of this even then that a lot of, if not most, people who complain now were also most likely first guessing it when it happened.

                    But contrary to what Pat says, its hard to not imagine that it was done for money.

                    Its a great time to be a Broncos fan. [Rolle eyes]

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Mr Spanky View Post
                      This ain't hindsight. Everyone knew 2010 was a boomer draft. Trading a 2009 2nd for a 2010 1st was Al Davis-level stupid in 2009. It's still Al Davis-level stupid.
                      Yeah, you know I'm sure McDaniels was sitting in the draft room last year thinking of the 2010 draft. 99% of teams do not even think of the next year's draft, they go year by year and when McDaniels saw a guy he liked who had a legitimate 1st round grade on him fall well into the 2nd he pounced.

                      With that being said, I hated when he did it and I still hate it to this day. Do I think Smith will be a very solid player, yes, I believe he will be a starting CB on our team by 2011. I don't blame McD too much for this trade, but it would have been nice to have picks 11 and 14 this year, real nice!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Still like giving up our 2010 1st round pick for a 2009 2nd round pick

                        No 45 72.58%
                        Yes 17 27.42%



                        Last edited by LarryDean; 04-11-2010, 06:01 AM.
                        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Well Hindsight is 20/20 vision, all I can say is that CB would have been a huge need this draft had we not drafted Alphonso, and probably would have picked up Kyle Wilson or Haden this season anyways.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by sage View Post
                            Good point, but two "busts" (Ayers, Quinn) and three "maybe back-ups" (Moreno, Smith, McBath) is inexcusable.
                            Wow, just wow. I didn't realize that you were such a good evaluator that you could see bust written all over these guys so soon, kudos to you sir, you're smarter then the rest of us!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                              Wow, just wow. I didn't realize that you were such a good evaluator that you could see bust written all over these guys so soon, kudos to you sir, you're smarter then the rest of us!
                              Thank you for the acknowledgement. CP to you sir.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                "Moreno saved this grade from being an "F": D-" USA Today.......

                                It's not hindsight, it was soundly criticized long before Smith did next to nothing in the 2009 season, long before he lost playing time to an undrafted rookie and yet another over-the-hill former Patriot. The "hindsight" argument is letting this organization off the hook for the kind of mistakes that got the last regime fired.

                                It was incredibly stupid then, and it's incredibly stupid now, Alphonso Smith has to at least earn the nickle job in 2010 and a starting job after Champ Bailey is eventually let go and Denigrated for this to trade to ever be considered anything but incredibly stupid.

                                We're talking about a team that has no use for existing players that actually have proven themselves at a high level, so the same goes for Moreno and Ayers, they must make significant contributions this year or you/me/the Broncos all have to consider them a bust.

                                I expect much better from somebody that is (Allegedly) so bright and intelligent.......

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X