Educate Me: Pat Bowlen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate Me: Pat Bowlen

I have read so many posts here seeming to imply that Mr. Bowlen does not want to part with the cash to pay premium talent to stay. Where is this idea coming from?

I am a pretty regular reader of the forums here and do not recall ever reading an article or post showing that Pat is financially strapped and having to cut back on expenses for the Broncos.

Will someone please explain where this idea came from or show me proof that demonstrates whether or not he is financially distressed?

Thanks in advance!!

People think that since we didnt give marsh 50 mill and havent extended dooms contract yet that bowlen is pinching pennies
    sigpicTeam Tebow number 1043!
    Prepare to be TebOWNED!

Comment

he paid travis henry

Comment

This has been rumored by local sportstalk dj's for a few years now who say they get their info from their sources inside dove valley.
        sigpic

Comment

Quite frankly, this is the kind of stuff that Pro Football Talk was built on, inside whispers and rumors that simply can't be corroborated by the real media. It doesn't mean it's true, it doesn't mean it's not true.

But given the amount of money that Bowlen wasted on Mike Shanahan's free agent mistakes, the amount of whispers/rumors (Where there is smoke there is fire) and the state of our economy, I am inclined to believe that a lack of funds had a lot to do with the Cutler, Marshall and Alphonso Smith situations, at least that's what I tell myself when I try to understand the sheer stupidity of it all.......

Comment

I'm sure he's losing some money just because of the economy but not enough to where we're letting guys like Marshall go just because of money.

Marshall doesn't fit with our team goals. In my opinion, that's the only reason.

Comment

I posted at least three separate articles on this very subject a few months back.

Nobody is trying to make the argument that Bowlen is broke or anything close to it.

The argument is that Bowlen is cash strapped or has cash flow issues and has since he has owned the team. The Westword had a very good article on it and you can start there. The writer explains that the luxury boxes at the old Mile High were to improve the cash flow issue. The partial sale to John Elway was a cash flow problem. The economy is a cash flow problem. The next tv contract will most assuredly be for less money (which Bowlen heads the TV committee for the league).

Finally, as someone else has pointed out, Bowlen had an open wallet policy for Shanahan. Many have indicated that a big part in McDaniels hiring was the fact that their "system" doesn't pay for guys. If anything, they get a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
                I have read so many posts here seeming to imply that Mr. Bowlen does not want to part with the cash to pay premium talent to stay. Where is this idea coming from?

I am a pretty regular reader of the forums here and do not recall ever reading an article or post showing that Pat is financially strapped and having to cut back on expenses for the Broncos.

Will someone please explain where this idea came from or show me proof that demonstrates whether or not he is financially distressed?

Thanks in advance!!

It's the only scenario that makes sense. Also, last year it was rumored that the Broncos were up for sale or at least Bowlen was throwing the idea out there. It don't take a genius to see that the Broncos are unloading all their talent towards the end of their contracts, instead of paying them fair compensation.

Comment

When Pat Bowlen ...

... gave total control of the Broncos to Mike Shanahan, he proceeded to make a plethora of FA signings with guaranteed money to players who were subsequently released. To make matters worse, these players were still being paid, and their contracts counted against the salary cap.

After firing Shanahan, Bowlen has taken charge of his team. Josh McDaniels is the face of the franchise, but has little to say in fiscal matters which are negotiated by Brian Xanders, but with Pat Bowlen's final approval.

In addition to bad financial deals, Shanahan grew very lax on discipline and increasingly defended bad behavior on the part of his players (e.g., Travis Henry). Pat Bowlen found these incidents very embarrassing and he brought McDaniels in to clear away the malcontents and discpline problems in order to establish a real team atmosphere in which all work together for a common goal.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

In addition to bad financial deals, Shanahan grew very lax on discipline and increasingly defended bad behavior on the part of his players (e.g., Travis Henry). Pat Bowlen found these incidents very embarrassing and he brought McDaniels in to clear away the malcontents and discpline problems in order to establish a real team atmosphere in which all work together for a common goal.
                    ...and McD immediately went out and drafted a RB that wanted big money before he ever played a down in the NFL. MOreno went so far as to hold out of training camp, which eventually hurt the team because Moreno was not in any shape to play when he finally did get in the game and got hurt. Moreno is self-centered, selfish and acted like a diva.

...and McD has stated Dez Bryant, a player with many character issues such as being a liar, being unmotivated and being immature, is on the Broncos draft board.

So much for your character issue argument.

Comment

I think he is just being careful at spending his money. After he let Shanahan spend so much and produce very little, he got fed up. Now he wants Bang for his Buck. He's not like Jerry Jones or Shneider(sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by bahn View Post
                        I think he is just being careful at spending his money. After he let Shanahan spend so much and produce very little, he got fed up. Now he wants Bang for his Buck. He's not like Jerry Jones or Shneider(sp?)
                        You can't get much more bang for the buck than Marshall. Only 1 WR has more catches than Marshall over the last 3 years. Marshall is now getting paid excatly what his production on the field warrants.

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
                          ...and McD immediately went out and drafted a RB that wanted big money before he ever played a down in the NFL. MOreno went so far as to hold out of training camp, which eventually hurt the team because Moreno was not in any shape to play when he finally did get in the game and got hurt. Moreno is self-centered, selfish and acted like a diva.

...and McD has stated Dez Bryant, a player with many character issues such as being a liar, being unmotivated and being immature, is on the Broncos draft board.

So much for your character issue argument.
                          Character has next to nothing to do with it, all teams look passed a players attitude when it comes to building what they hope to be a Championship team, the notion that McDaniels will be any better at building a Championship team with nothing but a bunch of Kyle Orton's than Mike Shanahan was with supposed malcontents is absolutely laughable. Every team has character issues, the Broncos are no different.

Character is just a cliche that people throw out there when their favorite team is making incompetent moves that defy common sense, I believe that deep down inside everybody knows that these moves have as much to do with money and a dysfunctional head coach as it has to do with dysfunctional players and DC's.

Rod Smith had character issues at one point, for Pete's sake.......

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
                            You can't get much more bang for the buck than Marshall. Only 1 WR has more catches than Marshall over the last 3 years. Marshall is now getting paid excatly what his production on the field warrants.
                            Bowlen ( and everybody else ) knows BM is a great talent but BM is 1 infraction away from getting a long suspension. My guess is Bowlen doesnt want to take the risk on BM after what he experienced with Shanny.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                              Character has next to nothing to do with it, all teams look passed a players attitude when it comes to building what they hope to be a Championship team, the notion that McDaniels will be any better at building a Championship team with nothing but a bunch of Kyle Orton's than Mike Shanahan was with supposed malcontents is absolutely laughable. Every team has character issues, the Broncos are no different.

Character is just a cliche that people throw out there when their favorite team is making incompetent moves that defy common sense, I believe that deep down inside everybody knows that these moves have as much to do with money and a dysfunctional head coach as it has to do with dysfunctional players and DC's.

Rod Smith had character issues at one point, for Pete's sake.......
                              Yea..character issues are everywhere in the NFL and on every team. At least 73 players on NFL rosters during the 2008 season were arrested on charges of driving under the influence, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X