RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Why do a lot of People on here keep questioning who should play or who shouldn't play at Running Back? Don't you guys realize that it doesn't matter who's back there if the Offensive Line can't open up holes?

Yeah, sure I'm rooting for Quentin Griffin to do well just because he's an underdog Player. Guys his size aren't supposed to be playing in this League but he does it and I want him to prove all the doubters wrong. But if he isn't in there I'd be rooting for Tatum Bell or Garrison Hearst or whoever is back there getting the ball handed to them. Just leave the Running Back situation alone because they are not the problem.

Re: RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Originally posted by Broncos28
    Why do a lot of People on here keep questioning who should play or who shouldn't play at Running Back? Don't you guys realize that it doesn't matter who's back there if the Offensive Line can't open up holes?

Yeah, sure I'm rooting for Quentin Griffin to do well just because he's an underdog Player. Guys his size aren't supposed to be playing in this League but he does it and I want him to prove all the doubters wrong. But if he isn't in there I'd be rooting for Tatum Bell or Garrison Hearst or whoever is back there getting the ball handed to them. Just leave the Running Back situation alone because they are not the problem.
    The offensive line may very well be the problem. But that cant really be changed at this point. We dont have much depth at the line to begin with. And our o-line coach is in Atlanta. Therefore, I really hope it's the running back. Q can bounce back and have a great year. Bell or Hearst can step up. I just dont see many or any options for the O-line. The system wont change, atleast not until the offseason. So hopefully it's just the back.

Comment

Re: Re: RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
      The offensive line may very well be the problem. But that cant really be changed at this point. We dont have much depth at the line to begin with. And our o-line coach is in Atlanta. Therefore, I really hope it's the running back. Q can bounce back and have a great year. Bell or Hearst can step up. I just dont see many or any options for the O-line. The system wont change, atleast not until the offseason. So hopefully it's just the back.
      I'm not asking to change anybody on the Offensive Line. I'm just saying they need to get their rear in gear when it comes to run blocking. But I guess with Jake Plummer success in the passing game lately the Defense should back up with all the 8 Man fronts that they've seen the past two Weeks.

Comment

Notice to the believers: Shany is looking at OL free agents.

Somebody else thinks the same.
        Broncos forever!! :clap:
        \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

Originally posted by jmjk
          Notice to the believers: Shany is looking at OL free agents.

Somebody else thinks the same.
          :jumping:

Comment

Re: Re: Re: RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Originally posted by Broncos28
            I'm not asking to change anybody on the Offensive Line. I'm just saying they need to get their rear in gear when it comes to run blocking. But I guess with Jake Plummer success in the passing game lately the Defense should back up with all the 8 Man fronts that they've seen the past two Weeks.
            I believe that our o-line really misses Gibbs. However, it's hard for me to believe that Nalen, Neil, Lepsis, Hamilton, and Foster arent getting it done. But if all they need is to get in gear, then Q is about to run for 1500 this year. I think it may be more than getting in gear though.

Comment

hey!

BleedBlueOrange! It is the same guys who played against KC. It is not only the line. It is ALL the Offense, but mainly it is the game plan. Shanny, god love him, needs to lose the Dan Reeves Sammy Winder up the gut mentality. Broncs did great against KC running Q outside, having Jake do the naked bootlegs, showing many plays. Tires out the D, makes 'em wonder what is next, makes 'em hesitate, which is enough to have success. Q broke a big play up the gut against KC AFTER running outside repeatedly and Jake scrambling on bootlegs. I would love to see a halfback pass to Jake (remember Brees catching one?) in order to force the D to commit a spy to Jake. Make these guys wonder and hesitate and it benefits the WR's and the TE's and the Backs. Where is Champ? He lines up on offense, the opposistion gets confused. Especially this year with a group of scatbacks, and Anderson on the bench all season, shanny needs to show us all why he is called the mastermind. It killed me to see him emulate Dan Reeves last week. Do not pound Q up the gut early and often. Adjust, think, respond instead of react. We need Shanny's brain now more than ever.
              - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                I believe that our o-line really misses Gibbs. However, it's hard for me to believe that Nalen, Neil, Lepsis, Hamilton, and Foster arent getting it done. But if all they need is to get in gear, then Q is about to run for 1500 this year. I think it may be more than getting in gear though.
                Well, I also think Mike Shanahan has to call a lot better running plays. We just can't keep pounding it up the middle if we ain't getting anything up there. We have to find a way to get this thing going again but I know the RB's aren't the problem.

Comment

Re: hey!

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE
                  BleedBlueOrange! It is the same guys who played against KC. It is not only the line. It is ALL the Offense, but mainly it is the game plan. Shanny, god love him, needs to lose the Dan Reeves Sammy Winder up the gut mentality. Broncs did great against KC running Q outside, having Jake do the naked bootlegs, showing many plays. Tires out the D, makes 'em wonder what is next, makes 'em hesitate, which is enough to have success. Q broke a big play up the gut against KC AFTER running outside repeatedly and Jake scrambling on bootlegs. I would love to see a halfback pass to Jake (remember Brees catching one?) in order to force the D to commit a spy to Jake. Make these guys wonder and hesitate and it benefits the WR's and the TE's and the Backs. Where is Champ? He lines up on offense, the opposistion gets confused. Especially this year with a group of scatbacks, and Anderson on the bench all season, shanny needs to show us all why he is called the mastermind. It killed me to see him emulate Dan Reeves last week. Do not pound Q up the gut early and often. Adjust, think, respond instead of react. We need Shanny's brain now more than ever.
                  I cant imagine how frustrated Shanny is that he cant even run up the middle for a yard. A team cant simply run sweeps on short yardage situations. KC has proven that any thing works against their D. However, I do believe Shanny should come up with some creative plays to better utilize Q's skill set.

But running up the middle is first grade football. It all starts there, and we wont be very successful if we cant get 3rd and 1

Comment

Hey

Dude, you are correct. However, my previous post outlined a method by which the Broncos can succeed in doing so with their scatbacks. Broncos gotta adjust. we got no Okoye, or Holmes, or Tomlinson, or Portis. I agree with you, but the Broncs gotta set up the middle, not simply pound it.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Re: Hey

Dude, you are correct. However, my previous post outlined a method by which the Broncos can succeed in doing so with their scatbacks. Broncos gotta adjust. we got no Okoye, or Holmes, or Tomlinson, or Portis. I agree with you, but the Broncs gotta set up the middle, not simply pound it.
                      I agree, except there are defensive tackles that dont move. You can run outside all you want with success and failure. If defenses know that you dont have the ability to run up the middle, than the linebackers are gonna position themselves mighty wide. On 3rd and 1 it is more about being physical than the play calling. You can fool some teams in that situation, but sooner or later trickery will fail.

Comment

Yaba

Point taken. However, I believe that trickery early in the game causes hesitation by the D which can be capitalized on as the game progresses. A guy like Q or Bell only needs one hole, one time to smoke down the field for 6. My point is, pounding the scatbacks up the gut early and often will NEVER achieve such an outcome. Creative play calling and scrambling get the big guys in the middle anxious and nervous enough to make mistakes. Broncs need to be smarter than ever before precisely because they do not have a single power back on the roster. It is foolish to run plays as if they have the talent to do so.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Re: Yaba

Point taken. However, I believe that trickery early in the game causes hesitation by the D which can be capitalized on as the game progresses. A guy like Q or Bell only needs one hole, one time to smoke down the field for 6. My point is, pounding the scatbacks up the gut early and often will NEVER achieve such an outcome. Creative play calling and scrambling get the big guys in the middle anxious and nervous enough to make mistakes. Broncs need to be smarter than ever before precisely because they do not have a single power back on the roster. It is foolish to run plays as if they have the talent to do so.
                          I dont really get the concept. Can you name a team or a player where this is successful?

Comment

We will get a chance to see the Oline against the Bucs. Im not sure yet- Ill state Anderson would be getting more yards than Q if he didnt get hurt. Oh well!

Comment

Something else to consider

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but sorry if it's a repeat.

Think back to TD's hayday. Not always, but often, who was on the field with him? A fullback providing a lead block.

I have yet to see this happen this year, and I can't think of why.

Another idea that Shanny is hopefully considering...

Comment

Working...
                              X