RB Is Not The Problem, OL Is!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bleedbluorange ,
    I agree, I would like to see Bell carry the ball a few times also. I don't agree, however, that anyone could have done what Q did against KC. I can't say that they could NOT have done it, but I also can't say for certainty that they could have. I just think we utilized Q's abilities in the first game and did not on the other two. You can't go into 5 WR sets, bring q to the backfield with 5 blockers on 8 in the box, and expect him or anyone else to do anything. It's just impossible. Now, if you watch KC run the ball, their OL is shifting outside, giving Holmes his chance to view the blocks and THEN cut up field. After a defense watches that happen enough, they are going to spread the LBs out a little, leaving a more open area right behind the D Line. THAT is when you run Q up the middle and start getting big holes.

I do however think someone else is going to have to start carrying the ball on short yardage situations. Q doesn't have the size to run it with the defense stacking against the run on short yardage.

If we put Bell in, however, it will seriously affect the passing game, in my opinion. If a D sees him in the backfield, they are going to run blitz constantly. If we do a play action, bell better be able to read the blitz or Plummer will be hurting big time. He just isn't ready, IMHO, to be the every down back.
    Have a good time, all the time, always eat the worm.---Coconut Pete

Comment

Originally posted by macca
      bleedbluorange ,
      I agree, I would like to see Bell carry the ball a few times also. I don't agree, however, that anyone could have done what Q did against KC. I can't say that they could NOT have done it, but I also can't say for certainty that they could have. I just think we utilized Q's abilities in the first game and did not on the other two. You can't go into 5 WR sets, bring q to the backfield with 5 blockers on 8 in the box, and expect him or anyone else to do anything. It's just impossible. Now, if you watch KC run the ball, their OL is shifting outside, giving Holmes his chance to view the blocks and THEN cut up field. After a defense watches that happen enough, they are going to spread the LBs out a little, leaving a more open area right behind the D Line. THAT is when you run Q up the middle and start getting big holes.

I do however think someone else is going to have to start carrying the ball on short yardage situations. Q doesn't have the size to run it with the defense stacking against the run on short yardage.

If we put Bell in, however, it will seriously affect the passing game, in my opinion. If a D sees him in the backfield, they are going to run blitz constantly. If we do a play action, bell better be able to read the blitz or Plummer will be hurting big time. He just isn't ready, IMHO, to be the every down back.
      Of course you know Q isnt in the class of Holmes yet. And KC has maybe the best o-line in the business. They can run inside or outside at will. The fact is on short yardage situations the have the ability to run up the middle. Anyway Shanny is gonna run up the middle whether Q likes it or not. It the system Shanny runs plain and simple. You know he's not gonna change it. So either Q steps up or Shanny will find someone who will

Comment

Fair enough. I know Shanny likes the downhill style runner. And Bell is more of that style. But even Bell would be running downhill into a brick wall the way these teams are stacking the box. And if teams are starting to stack the box, one way, in my mind, to open up the box is to spread it out. KC does have the best in the business, but Denver's ain't too shabby. Even KC, though, realize to open the middle, you have to keep the defense honest laterally. If Holmes was run constantly up the middle, he would not have near the #'s he has gotten in the last 3 years. If you don't want to compare Holmes and Griffin, how about Houston. Perfect example of zone blocking for DDavis. They bounce him outside and let him use his vision to decide when to cut upfield. Then when the defense is thinking the sidelines run, they punch him up the middle and the holes are huge.(watched alot of DD when I had him on my fantasy team last year) Even with Portis and TD, he ran them outside quite a bit, then punched them up the middle. We don't have brutes up front, we have athletes. I personally don't think, with the exception of the KC game, that we are using their athletic ability in our blocking schemes.

Remember, I think you are right about alot of what you said, I just think alot of people are faulting Q for things that are out of his control. The fumbling is not one of them, though.

Just my humble opinion and my .02.

Comment

Fair enough. I know Shanny likes the downhill style runner. And Bell is more of that style. But even Bell would be running downhill into a brick wall the way these teams are stacking the box. And if teams are starting to stack the box, one way, in my mind, to open up the box is to spread it out. KC does have the best in the business, but Denver's ain't too shabby. Even KC, though, realize to open the middle, you have to keep the defense honest laterally. If Holmes was run constantly up the middle, he would not have near the #'s he has gotten in the last 3 years. If you don't want to compare Holmes and Griffin, how about Houston. Perfect example of zone blocking for DDavis. They bounce him outside and let him use his vision to decide when to cut upfield. Then when the defense is thinking the sidelines run, they punch him up the middle and the holes are huge.(watched alot of DD when I had him on my fantasy team last year) Even with Portis and TD, he ran them outside quite a bit, then punched them up the middle. We don't have brutes up front, we have athletes. I personally don't think, with the exception of the KC game, that we are using their athletic ability in our blocking schemes.

Remember, I think you are right about alot of what you said, I just think alot of people are faulting Q for things that are out of his control. The fumbling is not one of them, though.

Just my humble opinion and my .02.
          In the past our backs have the option of going outside or cutting back inside. Who's to say Q isnt reading the blocking well? In college Q took the ball from the shot gun alot. Shanny said he has to get used to recieving the ball going downhill. Maybe that also applys to how he reading the blocking

Comment

Good point. Oh well, I am hoping and praying that Q gets some confidence this week, holds onto the ball and runs hard. I guess I just want to see the little guy succeed, but I want the running figured out foremost. I just look at all of the backs having trouble(hearst was even a downhill runner in SF) and I have to think you can only run into a wall so many times before you have to start trying to run around the wall. Oh well, neither of us know for sure. Hopefully it all gets rolling again this weekend.

Comment

Good point. Oh well, I am hoping and praying that Q gets some confidence this week, holds onto the ball and runs hard. I guess I just want to see the little guy succeed, but I want the running figured out foremost. I just look at all of the backs having trouble(hearst was even a downhill runner in SF) and I have to think you can only run into a wall so many times before you have to start trying to run around the wall. Oh well, neither of us know for sure. Hopefully it all gets rolling again this weekend.
              yeah, Go Broncos

Comment

Two things:

1) If there is no hole, nobody can break it. So if they want to put 8 in the box, throw deep.

2) Our line is not the best, Q is not a good short yard back. Calling plays that don't work that have always worked means either we are not good enough to run, or we need to change it up a bit.
                Broncos forever!! :clap:
                \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

Re: Re: hey!

Originally posted by Raiderjoe
                  Problem is your not going to find a defense as porous as the KC Chiefs. Just because you were able to rush football on the worst defense in footbal dosen't mean you can do it on better defense.
                  You can make all the excuses you want but Denver is serious trouble(Raiders have to be the favorite to win the AFc West). I see alot of fans say that teams have been putting eight man fronts to stop the run and Broncos have been good enough to pass on those teams. Well reality time, what defense(Chiefs, Jaguars and Chargers are that great against the pass. Yes Jaguars are very stout against the run but when your starting a D Washington(Cut by steelers defense) and Rashean mathis as your starting Cbs than you are in trouble.

By the way, Teams always stacked the line of scrimage to stop Broncos running game and they were still sucessful.(how times have changed) When you face better teams(ie Oakland) Your not going to be able to run football and unlike the team you played, Raiders have a secondary to make your passing game a non factor.

YO JOE I think we just found the worst defense in football, what say you? Talk about a porus dline and man your secondary RANKS IT UP also!

Comment

Re: Re: hey!

Originally posted by Raiderjoe
                    Problem is your not going to find a defense as porous as the KC Chiefs. Just because you were able to rush football on the worst defense in footbal dosen't mean you can do it on better defense.
                    You can make all the excuses you want but Denver is serious trouble(Raiders have to be the favorite to win the AFc West). I see alot of fans say that teams have been putting eight man fronts to stop the run and Broncos have been good enough to pass on those teams. Well reality time, what defense(Chiefs, Jaguars and Chargers are that great against the pass. Yes Jaguars are very stout against the run but when your starting a D Washington(Cut by steelers defense) and Rashean mathis as your starting Cbs than you are in trouble.

By the way, Teams always stacked the line of scrimage to stop Broncos running game and they were still sucessful.(how times have changed) When you face better teams(ie Oakland) Your not going to be able to run football and unlike the team you played, Raiders have a secondary to make your passing game a non factor.
                    What was that about pourous defenses Moronjoe? You are a joke and the Faiders are prentenders.
                    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                    X