Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

many people worried about the offense, what about the d....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• many people worried about the offense, what about the d....

i think many people overlook since we lost marshall and etc, that Mike Nolan has also left, also because of Josh MCdaniels, but thats beside the point. Our offense isnt going to be the only side of the ball struggling now. The players really need to step up and gel on defense if they are gonna wanna get it done this year.

The defense will be fine. We're going to be running a more agressive version of last year's scheme, and we've made smart moves to shore up the places where we broke down last year:

- On the point of attack, we've replaced Fields with Williams. That's like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac.

- On the non-Doom pass rush front, we've added or made starters three guys who will be able to get sacks and/or collapse the pocket: Williams, Ayers and Green.

- We've fixed our nickel corner problems with Nate Jones

- For run stuffing, we replaced the mediocre Davis with Hagan, who is MUCH stouter.

The D has been improved a ton this off season

Comment

glad you can reassure me, i was pretty worried, i felt nolan was a big part of our defense last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBang7 View Post
        glad you can reassure me, i was pretty worried, i felt nolan was a big part of our defense last year.
        Nolan did a very good job. Considering that he started with 2 usable players on his entire roster, and was given only 1 high pick to work with, he pulled off a miracle. I think he'll be successful in the league for a long time.

Everyone thinks highly of Wink though. Also, McD came from the defensive side of the Pats house despite eventually being their OC. He knows defense, and I think what we saw last year was at least 50% his creation. So that provides some consistency. And I REALLY like the moves we've made on D. They just make good football sense. That suggests to me that we're in good hands whoever is making the decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big D View Post
          And I REALLY like the moves we've made on D. They just make good football sense. That suggests to me that we're in good hands whoever is making the decisions.
          :go:

agreed, draft will be the tell tell tho

Comment

Offense, Defense....I'm worried about the Team.
            New England Patriots GM

Comment

as long as our defense remains aggressive, we should be fine. they single-handedly lost our home game against the raiders because they stopped blitzing and sat back in the prevent. hate to break it to ya, but you blitz jamarcus russell, every. single. play.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueOrange7 View Post
                :go:

agreed, draft will be the tell tell tho
                I don't think we're going to draft much D in the early rounds. In theory we don't need to - DL has acceptable backups, LB has a horde of guys or may need one OLB (depends on whether we continue the Moss experiment another year), CB's OK assuming Alphonso can play decently outside, and S is good to go.

We might not draft D until round 4...

Comment

Originally posted by BigBang7 View Post
                  i think many people overlook since we lost marshall and etc, that Mike Nolan has also left, also because of Josh MCdaniels, but thats beside the point.
                  Sigh. It's been pointed out numerous times that Nolan alone didn't make our defense. In fact, Nolan wanted to do the same thing with our defense that he did with San Francisco's when he was the head coach, and SF's defense wasn't anything special. McD told Nolan that we would do a 3-4, that the 3-4 would be our primary defense and the basics of what he needed from Nolan. McD then went out and got us the personnel we needed for that defense, and the assistant coaches we needed for that defense, including SD's defensive line coach, Wink for the linebackers (Wink is from the Rex Ryan tree of coaching and understands aggressive, attacking defenses as well as Nolan).

And, another thing pointed out is that no one who actually knows the individuals involved blame anyone for what happened. Nolan is a very smart, very stubborn man who just came from being The Man (HC) of the 49'ers and he often locked horns with a very smart, very stubborn man who is the current head coach of the Broncos on what the defense is supposed to do and be.

By all accounts they are both good men, smart men and very stubborn men and when there is a difference of opinion, the boss wins. Plain and simple. Nolan wanted to go somewhere he could run his defense the way he wants with a lot less input from others. McDaniels felt that if Nolan needed to run the defense with a lot less input, he needed to do it elsewhere. Nolan went elsewhere. No fault to anyone.

And, let's remember that our defense was made up of head coach, defensive coordinator, assistant coaches and players. We lost ONE piece of the pie. Anyone who thinks that defense we had last year was Nolan's alone wasn't paying attention.

And while we're on the defense, let's also remember that defense couldn't stop anyone in 6 of the last eight games, including the Chiefs and the Raiders. At home. So, let's not pretend that the defense was great and didn't need additional work.

I like the selection of Martindale. I also liked the selection of Coyer by Shanny a few years ago. I think Wink will be a fine defensive coordinator as long as we can provide him with the people he needs, and McD has already started by giving him a whole new defensive line.

Our offense isnt going to be the only side of the ball struggling now. The players really need to step up and gel on defense if they are gonna wanna get it done this year.
                  I think the defense is going to be fine. They got a major rebuild last year and still needed some more tweaking. This offseason we have made major changes on the line and are still making some changes in the linebacking corps and adding to the secondary. The defense will be just fine.

The offense, on the other hand, still need to finish rebuilding our line so we can complete making the change to the power blocking scheme that McD wants to run and which would mostly fix our problems in short yardage and goal-line situations. We also need some depth to the line so if Ryan Harris goes down again we have an option besides our current backup RT who couldn't scare a girl scout.
                  You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

I don't think we're going to draft much D in the early rounds. In theory we don't need to - DL has acceptable backups, LB has a horde of guys or may need one OLB (depends on whether we continue the Moss experiment another year), CB's OK assuming Alphonso can play decently outside, and S is good to go.

We might not draft D until round 4...
                    Or, we could get McClain in the first to replace Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                      Or, we could get McClain in the first to replace Davis.
                      Why would we do that? Hagan played VERY well last year and will fit very well at ILB due to his size. Why would you go out of your way to bench a mid-aged vet who's playing the best football of his life?

Comment

The defense will be fine. We're going to be running a more agressive version of last year's scheme, and we've made smart moves to shore up the places where we broke down last year:

- On the point of attack, we've replaced Fields with Williams. That's like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac.

- On the non-Doom pass rush front, we've added or made starters three guys who will be able to get sacks and/or collapse the pocket: Williams, Ayers and Green.

- We've fixed our nickel corner problems with Nate Jones

- For run stuffing, we replaced the mediocre Davis with Hagan, who is MUCH stouter.

The D has been improved a ton this off season
                        - More aggressive? Everything I heard said that McDaniels butted heads with Nolan because Nolan was TOO aggressive with his blitzing.

- Jamal Williams is GREAT. But he is only a 2-down player at this point, and don't expect him to last through the season.

- You guys did a good job bolstering the line, and Nate Jones is a solid pickup.

It'll be interesting to see how Pees does with this unit. Us Charger fans gave a ton of credit to Nolan for what he did last year, but if your D continues to improve, perhaps the credit should go to McDaniels. I'll be curious to see how that aging (but star-studded) secondary holds up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                          - More aggressive? Everything I heard said that McDaniels butted heads with Nolan because Nolan was TOO aggressive with his blitzing.

- Jamal Williams is GREAT. But he is only a 2-down player at this point, and don't expect him to last through the season.

- You guys did a good job bolstering the line, and Nate Jones is a solid pickup.

It'll be interesting to see how Pees does with this unit. Us Charger fans gave a ton of credit to Nolan for what he did last year, but if your D continues to improve, perhaps the credit should go to McDaniels. I'll be curious to see how that aging (but star-studded) secondary holds up this season.
                          Pees went to Baltimore to coach their LBs.
                          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Why would we do that? Hagan played VERY well last year and will fit very well at ILB due to his size. Why would you go out of your way to bench a mid-aged vet who's playing the best football of his life?
                            Well, here's why:
                            Strong-side OLB also has to be able to come up and close off the outside against the run. Ayers made some strides in that department last year but still isn't up to playing that position on obvious running downs. Ayers is a good pass rusher, like Doom on the other side (who also isn't a good run stopper).

Moving Haggan to the inside means we don't have him out there stopping the run.

Now, we could keep Reid out there on the OLB spot. He's big, strong and fast and can definitely play the run. And perhaps that's what McD and the defense are thinking.

But if we got McClain as the other ILB, with our new line and once we get McClain up to speed on the inside, that gives us two very fast. aggressive and strong ILB's to help plug the middle or drop back in zone coverage to confuse opposing offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Chargerbomb View Post
                              I wasn't necessarily referring to blitzing. I expect we will blitz less this year because Williams can collapse the pocket, and that makes a standard 3 + OLB (with possible stunt or weird alignment) rush very dangerous.

Where we'll be more aggressive is against the run. Haggan inside plus Williams gives us options we never would have dreamed of last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X