Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Denver Post 09-11-03
    Adam - With RB Quentin Griffin and TE Jeb Putzier currently injured and unable to contribute, I am wondering why the Broncos did not place one or both on the physically-unable-to-perform list? My understanding is that a player that is placed on the PUP list must miss the first six games, but can return after that. Is my understanding correct, and why was this not an option for the Broncos? They never seem to use this list. Is there a downfall to it? Thank you.
    -- Joe Wiedemann, Denver

Joe, Denver didn't place them on PUP for a simple reason. They intend to use them a lot sooner than then. In fact, Putzier was active for Sunday's game at Cincinnati, and Griffin should be ready to play Sunday at San Diego. So why would you put those players on a list that would sideline them for six weeks when they

Comment

The Q comes into a great situation at Bronco Running Back University. Portis has a great style but having Griffith healthy will really deliver a change up. I'm anxious to see how he will be used in a game plan.

I don't have anything against Cecil Sapp but he did go undrafted. Regardless of his pre season performances, when he was cut every other team in the league had the option to look at him again. I wouldn't say being put on the practice squad is all that bad of deal for him. Gives him a chance.

Comment

I agree

I agree, not a bad deal at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Treze
          The Q comes into a great situation at Bronco Running Back University. Portis has a great style but having Griffith healthy will really deliver a change up. I'm anxious to see how he will be used in a game plan.

I don't have anything against Cecil Sapp but he did go undrafted. Regardless of his pre season performances, when he was cut every other team in the league had the option to look at him again. I wouldn't say being put on the practice squad is all that bad of deal for him. Gives him a chance.
          It doesn't matter he went undrafted! Cecil stayed healthy, Quentin didn't. Cecil 1, Griffin 0
          Cecil led the team in rushing. Quentin led the team in water served. Cecil 2, Griffin .5 (the water was cold!)
          Cecil has a cool name. Quentin (geek!) Cecil 2.5, Griffin .5
          Cecil has power, Quentin has speed. Cecil 3.5, Quentin 1.5

Final Score- Cecil "The Diesel" Sapp: 3.5 Quentin: 1.5

With all due respect to Griffin, he has to prove himself in the NFL. Cecil has already done that.

Go CSU! Kick some Weber State butt!
          "I don't have a girlfriend, I just know a girl whod get really mad if she heard me say that."
          "I think a rotisserie is like a really morbid ferris wheel for chickens."
          "I chewed a piece of Care-free gum, but afterwords i was still worried."

- Mitch Hedberg, 1967-2005

- I adopted CECIL SAPP

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs_323
            It doesn't matter he went undrafted! Cecil stayed healthy, Quentin didn't. Cecil 1, Griffin 0
            Cecil led the team in rushing. Quentin led the team in water served. Cecil 2, Griffin .5 (the water was cold!)
            Cecil has a cool name. Quentin (geek!) Cecil 2.5, Griffin .5
            Cecil has power, Quentin has speed. Cecil 3.5, Quentin 1.5

Final Score- Cecil "The Diesel" Sapp: 3.5 Quentin: 1.5

With all due respect to Griffin, he has to prove himself in the NFL. Cecil has already done that.

Go CSU! Kick some Weber State butt!
            Being from Fort Collins I think you have rose colored glasses. Cecil is good, but Griffin has shown a lot more in mini-camps and the first of training camp. Griffin in Oklahoma was unstoppable. He is also a totally different back then Sapp and is much more exciting. By the way I live in Loveland and I have seen Sapp play...
            Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

LOL

What kind of stupid point system is that? I believe Quentin had more rushing and recieving yards then Cecil in 2002. I rest my case.

Comment

September 11 Update

MAX 'Q': Quentin Griffin returned to practice for the Broncos prior to the final preseason game two weeks ago. But this week, the rookie running back has ramped up and hit full speed after being deactivated at Cincinnati.

"He's starting to look like he's back to normal," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He had a couple of cuts today that were very impressive. You can see that he's trying to get his legs back (to where) he feels comfortable getting back with football-related drills and just getting the feel of the system."

Getting back to full speed physically was the biggest challenge. When it comes to the mental part of the NFL, he'd managed to stay adept.

"Even though he wasn't getting a lot of reps, he was in all the classroom work, and didn't miss a whole lot there," Shanahan said. "But until you actually get back in football shape, it's a little bit tough. He's done everything we've asked him to do."

Comment

Until "Q" make headlines for the Broncos...then I will give him some cred, but as of now...he's just another player on the bench.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                  2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

You know what is interesting? He made the cut and he didn't play most of pre-season. Someone must think he is really good.
                    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

I agree

Someone indeed. I think he will turn many of heads once given the chance. Who knows maybe this Sunday.

Comment

Liek I said, he makes a good 3rd down back and come in for Portis and we wouldn't lose a step.....2 of the best tailbacks in the 2000-2001 college era plays for us!

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                        2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing "Q" run and hopefully we might see it this weekend. As far as Cecil if we ever had to go that deep to sign a back from the practice squad at least we would know that there was a viable one there.

Comment

God, you are all funny.

the CSU people want Cecil, the Okies want Q

As if the college they went to has anything to do with this.

FACT: Sapp is more of a power runner, Q is more of a speedy slasher

FACT: Sapp had a better preseason, and Q was injured

FACT: Q makes more MONEY, thus justifying his roster spot to Bowlen

FACT: Q is not as good as Portis, and if he wants to start, it will either be because of injury or a trade to another team. The same for Sapp, except he is futher down the depth chart than Q

FACT: Shannahan doesn't give a rats ass who did what in college against what type of comepetition. All any NFL coach cares about is performance. Sapp, so far, has outperformed Griffin.

I think Sapp got shafted, but ulimately, Griffin is a better fit for what Shannhan wants to do with running backs in the offense now. The philosphy changed a bit when Elway retired. Less betweeen the tackles, and more screens, outside stuff, and play action. He made his choice, and that is that.

Sorry for sounding so heavy handed today, I will try to be my usual funny self tomorrow. Maybe I just need coffee.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                            You should check these guys out

Comment

FACT: Q makes more MONEY, thus justifying his roster spot to Bowlen

Isn't that the truth!!!! Mo money

Comment

A summary of stats

Well lets take a look at the stats. That should help and keep in mind the teams that each rb had to go up against.

Quentin Griffin Rush Rec Total

Opponent Yds Yds Yds
                                Tulsa 237 -1 236
                                Alabama 3 18 21
                                South Florida 10 25 35
                                Missouri 105 44 149
                                Texas 248 3 251
                                Iowa St. 111 11 122
                                Colorado 128 0 128
                                Texas A&M 141 6 147
                                Baylor 152 53 205
                                Texas Tech 207 27 234