An average football team....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An average football team....

Well guys, I love our Denver Broncos and I always will. I was born and raised in Denver and when I was young I would cry when they lost. However I have to be honest in saying that with no running game we are an average football team. We cant put teams away. We had an opportunity to put the chargers away last week as well as yesterday up 10 to zero and then each time the game turns into a nail biter. We should have had no problem with the buccaneers, they are not a good football team. If it wasnt for the defense we would be a .500 team right now. I think we're in trouble, how are you guys feeling about it? I think the loss of Alex Gibbs is starting to take its toll, we have NEVER struggled on the ground like we are now. Can we turn it around?
    http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

I agree. It just doesnt feel like were firing on all cylinders without a steady running game, and without the run it makes it much harder to run the bootlegs and roll outs and such. We need to establish a running game and our offense needs to step up and become the force it has potential to be.

Comment

You just can't say without the defense we would have lost. That does not make us an average team, just a defensively oriented one! If you say our defense is overrated and our offense sucks as bad as advertised, then yeah, we're an average team.

In my view, we are a good defensive team that will be top calibur once we get a running game, but it takes a well rounded team to get far in the playoffs, and I have no doubt that by January we will be in contention.

Comment

IMO we are lucky to be 3-1 and not the other way around. Our offense can't ever seem to sustain a drive, and when we finally do, we only get 3 points out of it. FGs aren't gonna win playoff games, and neither is 138 passing yards and 66 yards from our feature back. Shanny has to do something to get this team in the endzone more consistently, or we'll have to sit through another January with no BRONCOS football.

Comment

Although I feel our running game is suspect, being able to control the 4th quarter yesterday was impressive. I believe we had the ball for 13 mins and 20 secs. We did it by running the ball. We did not have a great average or any big plays, but Denver showed at least some promise that the running game will be improved.

I do not beleive that Q is the answer at RB. I hope Bell gets healthy fast because I would love to see what he can do. I think he is our future at this point. The injury to Anderson is still huge though, and we feel it every week.
          Where does the abuse of end? Where?

Comment

Here is my take. The Broncos have been used to winning by offense for too long. This is what defensive football is like. There are very little offensively dominating wins. We knew the direction the Broncos were going starting when they made the Portis/Bailey trade. The offense has to play just well enough to win. No turnovers and win field position. I would say that we better get used to these type of games.
            Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Re: An average football team....

Originally posted by JHoward
              Well guys, I love our Denver Broncos and I always will. I was born and raised in Denver and when I was young I would cry when they lost. However I have to be honest in saying that with no running game we are an average football team. We cant put teams away. We had an opportunity to put the chargers away last week as well as yesterday up 10 to zero and then each time the game turns into a nail biter. We should have had no problem with the buccaneers, they are not a good football team. If it wasnt for the defense we would be a .500 team right now. I think we're in trouble, how are you guys feeling about it? I think the loss of Alex Gibbs is starting to take its toll, we have NEVER struggled on the ground like we are now. Can we turn it around?
              Although I miss the run and we all do (being spoiled for the last 8 years or so) The run game is not as important as you think to make it far in the playoffs. The run would make us an awesome team to go with our passing game, I would say 16-0 but it is not as important as you all think.

Look at the Patriots last year. They had a RB that went for around 600 yards for the season. Now this number was just something I remember but i know for sure it was not 1000. Just think Griffin has almost 300 yards rushing. That's almost half way there from the Patriots running back (who for the life of me I can't remember and I am too lazy to look it up) anyway just trying to make our running back situation seem better.

by the way, If you look at the scores of the Patriots form last year a lot of their wins were ugly especially against us and against our 3rd string QB. They won by a solid defense and an above average passing game. I for one think our D is better than the patriots ever have been.

It's not the end of the world, there is hope. We got Tatum just waiting to be given a shot, and we got Q who will not give up his job without a fight. That right there says our running game is back on track. Q is making good progress and despite not breaking the 100 yard mark yesterday, he DID NOT FUMBLE.

Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

Comment

yall need to realize that tampa bay have a good defense. they may had lose john lynch and warren sapp but they still have one of the top defenses in the nfl............it is there offense who is letting them down trying not to make excuses for them but it is the truth
                I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Although I miss the run and we all do (being spoiled for the last 8 years or so) The run game is not as important as you think to make it far in the playoffs. The run would make us an awesome team to go with our passing game, I would say 16-0 but it is not as important as you all think.
                  very good post. You go on to say that the Patriots have no running game and still win and I agree full-heartedly. We are more like the Patriots this year than any team Shannahan has coached before. We don't need to win by 14 points, we just need to win. The Ravens have been going to the playoffs year in and year out without a passing game. Why? Because they have a dominant defense. The Bucs won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson passing and Pittman running. Are either of these guys good? not at all, but they were good enough to score more points than their defense gave up. As long as the Broncos keep the turnovers low on offense (heck, we've turned it over and still won, but we're getting better with the turnovers) , we'll win more games than last year.

Comment

Just My opinion. Average teams dont make 7minute drives at the end of the game starting on their own 10 yard line against good D's like the bucs. Despite the fact we arent scoring touchdowns we are winning games we should win. That is a sign of a team that is good, not average.

Comment

Originally posted by luvdembroncs
                      Here is my take. The Broncos have been used to winning by offense for too long. This is what defensive football is like. There are very little offensively dominating wins. We knew the direction the Broncos were going starting when they made the Portis/Bailey trade. The offense has to play just well enough to win. No turnovers and win field position. I would say that we better get used to these type of games.
                      I totally agree

Comment

Lets get back to reality fellas, why couldnt John Elway win a super bowl? NO RUNNING GAME. T. Davis comes on the scene, back to back super bowl wins. I love Jake but 13 for 31 with 138 yards will not cut it! If we do not find some way to get at least 100 yards on the ground per game (not just one back getting 100 but all of them, Griff, Droughns, Bell, Hearst) we will not go deep in the play offs let alone the super bowl. Plummer cannot put up the passing yards that Elway did during those super bowl years. On numerous occasions Jake had guys open down field yesterday and just cant find a way to get them the ball. And by the way, Tampa Bay does not have a good defense. Show me some numbers if you can prove otherwise.
                        http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Comment

I've said it before, it will take a while to recover from the loss of Sharpe, Portis, McCaffrey and even Alex Gibbs. Shanahan and Kubiak are really good at their jobs but it's got to be extremely hard to just replace that kind of contribution to the offense.

I would say we're an above average team but not yet a definite playoff team. I think around week 8 or so we'll be seeing our true Broncos' offense and we'll have a much better idea what our post-season chances will be.

Right now, our offense is still struggling to find its identity. We need a couple of the young guys to step up and declare themselves ready for prime time, week in and week out. Until that happens, I expect our offense to continue to have a lot of ups and downs.

Hopefully, our defense is good enough to keep us in playoff contention while our offense finds itself.
                          "You can't take the sky from me..."
                          ------
                          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Lets get back to reality fellas, why couldnt John Elway win a super bowl? NO RUNNING GAME. T. Davis comes on the scene, back to back super bowl wins. I love Jake but 13 for 31 with 138 yards will not cut it! If we do not find some way to get at least 100 yards on the ground per game (not just one back getting 100 but all of them, Griff, Droughns, Bell, Hearst) we will not go deep in the play offs let alone the super bowl. Plummer cannot put up the passing yards that Elway did during those super bowl years. On numerous occasions Jake had guys open down field yesterday and just cant find a way to get them the ball. And by the way, Tampa Bay does not have a good defense. Show me some numbers if you can prove otherwise.
                            And yes the running game was so key for the Patriots as well. How about the Eagles? Oh and yes the key to the Colts must be the running game. My argument is that it can go both ways. Good teams win games. There is not one formula for success. You need good players and good chemistry. I think we are developing that. I really like our chances to win the division and be in a good playoff position.

While the Bucs are not that good of a team they have kept all of their games relatively close and Shanny had never won a game in Florida. I think that was a big win and we pulled it out.

Comment

The difference is that those old Bronco teams did not have a dominant defense. You are comparing apples and oranges. Two completely different game sets.
                              Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Working...
                              X