Smith in backfield on third downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith in backfield on third downs

I am really concerned about production on third down, when Shanny doesnt trust any of our backs on third down. Time after time smith was in the backfield on third down. That says alot. He has always done this, but only a couple of times in a season. But he was in alot yesterday. I think that may be why Shanny activated Luke to return punts. I cant believe how bad the offense has gotten in one year. BTW Luke did ok for his first nfl game.

Our O is really a Problem... we're not producting.... One RB must step up and make our O better, or we must trust just in our D!

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Originally posted by Helderht_
      Our O is really a Problem... we're not producting.... One RB must step up and make our O better, or we must trust just in our D!
      And look at the changes that O has gone through in the offseason. New WRs, TE & RB. The only consistency from last year is the line, QB and Rod. It will take a little time for all that change to settle as the offense gels into a unit.

It always takes time for a unit of individuals to become an individual unit. Be patient and you will see the offense get better - even without Bell starting.

Comment

Re: Smith in backfield on third downs

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
        I am really concerned about production on third down, when Shanny doesnt trust any of our backs on third down. Time after time smith was in the backfield on third down. That says alot. He has always done this, but only a couple of times in a season. But he was in alot yesterday. I think that may be why Shanny activated Luke to return punts. I cant believe how bad the offense has gotten in one year. BTW Luke did ok for his first nfl game.
        Actually, I wouldn't read too much into that. I think it was just a variation of the empty backfield set because, if I remember right, Rod never stayed in the backfield. I think it was just designed to throw a little wrinkle into the defense's coverage schemes.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Javalon is correct.

Notice, at times, they'd move Smith (from the backfield) to the side where the tight end was; that could royally screw up your coverages if your not disciplined. Shanahan was just trying to at least get a freebie from the Tampa defense.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
          - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
            Javalon is correct.

Notice, at times, they'd move Smith (from the backfield) to the side where the tight end was; that could royally screw up your coverages if your not disciplined. Shanahan was just trying to at least get a freebie from the Tampa defense.
            Yeah, I never saw him stay in the backfield either. He always went into motion.

Comment

Actually that was my point. No running back on third down. I new he went in motion and lined up at reciever. But that still means no rb in on third down for several plays

Comment

Re: Another Goofy Formation

Originally posted by Black59Razor
                This formation I don't get...

I don't understand what sort of matchup advantage the Broncos were hoping to gain...

Sorta like that formation they ran VS Indy in the playoffs last year when they lined CP up wide...then ran him all the way back into the backfield just beforwe the snap
                Shanny does that constantly. He has done that several times in everygame this year. I dont understand it. I'd rather have a full back instead of these single back formations.

Comment

Whats wrong with running a no back set on 3rd and long?? Seems pretty logical to me to get as many people into the patterns as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                    Actually that was my point. No running back on third down. I new he went in motion and lined up at reciever. But that still means no rb in on third down for several plays
                    He does this set in hopes that a LB (which usually picks up a RB in coverage) will pick up #80... that creates a really bad mismatch putting a LB up to defend your #1 receiver. This will usually work if the defense is running a cover two or 3 and the RB (or Rod in this case) runs a short route underneath the safties.

There is your football lesson for the day...

Comment

Originally posted by aaronheeb
                      He does this set in hopes that a LB (which usually picks up a RB in coverage) will pick up #80... that creates a really bad mismatch putting a LB up to defend your #1 receiver. This will usually work if the defense is running a cover two or 3 and the RB (or Rod in this case) runs a short route underneath the safties.

There is your football lesson for the day...
                      hehe, word for word what I explained to my brother in law this past weekend.

Nice analysis
                      "There's only one guy in the world that could make that throw..."

Comment

Working...
                      X