Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great nickname for the defense?

The rocky mountain locusts.

Before you laugh and are disgusted. For those who dont know.
    In 1875 the species formed the largest recorded locust swarm in the history of humankind, 1,800 miles long and 110 miles wide, equaling the combined area of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. Thousands of farm families threw in their shovels and gave up.

A mere 28 years later, this seemingly indestructible enemy vanished. The last collection of a live Rocky Mountain locust was made 100 years ago, in 1902.

Now a century after the last entomologist laid hands on one of these squirming, flitting creatures, scientists say they are beginning to piece together the story of how the species may have disappeared. While still far from consensus, researchers are finding clues in places like remote glaciers and farmers' planting records in the 1880's.

''When it comes to extinction, we all hear about species that are taking a nose dive,'' said Dr. William Chapco, evolutionary biologist at the University of Regina in Saskatchewan. ''But a species that was so plentiful at one time, that is no longer with us, that's a real mystery.''

The disappearance of the Rocky Mountain locust, also known as the Rocky Mountain grasshopper, has inspired no end of theories among scientists. (Locust, in fact, is simply a term used to describe beefy grasshoppers that gather in perilously large and hungry swarms.)

The steel curtain,

The purple people eater,

Orange crush,

the rocky mountain locusts.....

a pesky infesting insect.........while devistating in large numbers, it is cumbersome on the tounge, and requires lots of explination to ensure that it's not derogitory......

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post
      The steel curtain,

The purple people eater,

Orange crush,

the rocky mountain locusts.....

a pesky infesting insect.........while devistating in large numbers, it is cumbersome on the tounge, and requires lots of explination to ensure that it's not derogitory......
      Yeah, I know. There were the "killer bees."

Seems like the worst infestation of a SWARM ever recorded should be something, considering that it was from the roocky mountains.

The key word is SWARM.

The swarm was literally biblical. It was an actual regional event that is mysterious in nature. Esepcially how they just disappeared.

Comment

Rocky Mountain Locusts doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
        sigpic

Adopted Posters:
        Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
        Adopted By:
        Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
        Broncbeat

Comment

Originally posted by thenewera44 View Post
          Yeah, I know. There were the "killer bees."

Seems like the worst infestation of a SWARM ever recorded should be something, considering that it was from the roocky mountains.

The key word is SWARM.

The swarm was literally biblical. It was an actual regional event that is mysterious in nature. Esepcially how they just disappeared.
          I tried to CP you for the research in the original post, and it was thought out well (I'll get you after my 24 hour reload). I wasn't trying to hammer, you, and it was a devistating phenomanon....

So was the depression, the dustbowl, the pleague, and aids, but not really something i want to chant at a game, during a critical juncture.......

Comment

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
            Rocky Mountain Locusts doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
            Maybe too many syllables.
            Most defense nicknames have 3 or less.

That has 6, so you are probably right.

Just saw it on Animal Planet and it just made me think.

The greatest swarm ever recorded, regional event, biblical, mysterious, all kind of got me excited.

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post
              I tried to CP you for the research in the original post, and it was thought out well (I'll get you after my 24 hour reload). I wasn't trying to hammer, you, and it was a devistating phenomanon....

So was the depression, the dustbowl, the pleague, and aids, but not really something i want to chant at a game, during a critical juncture.......
              Yeah. Although lets be honest. Most nicknames conjure up something devestating.

How about the Avalanche. Or Hurricanes.

Doomsday defense.

Chanting " Locusts!.......locusts!.......locusts!.......locus ts!"

The speakers with the sound of a buzzing that isnt quite bees. Can I say Vuvuzela???

Comment

Doomsday defense.

The speakers with the sound of a buzzing that isnt quite bees. Can I say Vuvuzela???
                The Legion Of Doom - An ode to my Saturday morning cartoon addiction in the 70's and 80's.
                sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                Adopted By:
                Broncbeat

Comment

Doomsday defense.

If that crap starts at invesco, I'll go postal........

Comment

I tried to get "The Blue Glue" going, but got shot down.

Orange Crush still works.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                      I tried to get "The Blue Glue" going, but got shot down.

Orange Crush still works.
                      I don't think we wear the orange jerseys enough to warrant that nickname.

Too bad, I kind of like the orange a little more than the blue jersey.
                      sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                      Adopted By:
                      Broncbeat

Comment

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
                        I don't think we wear the orange jerseys enough to warrant that nickname.

Too bad, I kind of like the orange a little more than the blue jersey.
                        Seems like they lose more in orange to me.

The most memorable losses I can think of, have been in their orange. Of course that includes the old orange too.

But.....

I stil like the orange better.

I am surprised they have never dressed in a white jersey with the dark blue pants.

The orange stirpe could extend from the dark bkue pants to the jersey.

I dont know if you could picture that, but that would look sharp to me.

Comment

In 1875 the species formed the largest recorded locust swarm in the history of humankind, 1,800 miles long and 110 miles wide, equaling the combined area of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. Thousands of farm families threw in their shovels and gave up.

A mere 28 years later, this seemingly indestructible enemy vanished. The last collection of a live Rocky Mountain locust was made 100 years ago, in 1902.

Now a century after the last entomologist laid hands on one of these squirming, flitting creatures, scientists say they are beginning to piece together the story of how the species may have disappeared. While still far from consensus, researchers are finding clues in places like remote glaciers and farmers' planting records in the 1880's.

''When it comes to extinction, we all hear about species that are taking a nose dive,'' said Dr. William Chapco, evolutionary biologist at the University of Regina in Saskatchewan. ''But a species that was so plentiful at one time, that is no longer with us, that's a real mystery.''

The disappearance of the Rocky Mountain locust, also known as the Rocky Mountain grasshopper, has inspired no end of theories among scientists. (Locust, in fact, is simply a term used to describe beefy grasshoppers that gather in perilously large and hungry swarms.)
                          Sounds interesting, but rocky mountain swarm?

When I think of Colorado, I think of huge, powerful, heavy mountains. I think of the inexorable pull of gravity pulling snowfall down in a huge avalanches of heavy, wet snow that buries everything in it's path, snapping trees like toothpicks.

When I think of Broncos, I think of powerful stallions, riding down everything in their way, then pulling away from you and leaving you in the dust.

I don't really think of insects, even killer bee swarms.

Though it's an interesting image. Let's conjur on it some more...
                          You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

I think we need a new nickname for sure ..... grasshopper

But swarm just doesn't quite do it for me either.

We'll come up with something, well horsey, just remember "The Ox is slow, but the earth is patient .... "
                            Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
                            sigpic
                            I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
                            Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

How about "Chinook" - based off of Chinook winds.

They're stronger than hurricanes in many cases. They can melt and evaporate a foot of snow in under 10 minutes.

When they have hit in the past, the temperature went from −54 °F to 49 °F, a 103 °F change in temperature in under 24 hours.

In another instance on record, the temperature was -4°F, then the Chinook hit and the temperature went to 45°F, a change of 49° - in under two minutes.

When that same Chinook faded after a day, the temperature went from 54°F to -4°F, a change of 58 degrees that took less than 28 minutes.

The "Autumn Wind" ain't got nothin' on the Rockie Mountains.

PS: If you've ever been caught in one of these suckers, you know damned well it's the scariest thing you're ever going to experience. I got caught in one once and was pretty sure I was gonna die. I've only felt that way twice in my life, and frankly, I think I felt that way for pretty good reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X