Receiving Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving Corps

The way I see it, there are four receivers who are guaranteed to be on the team:

1. Demaryus Thomas
    2. Jabar Gaffney
    3. Eddie Royal
    4. Eric Decker

That leaves one or two spots for three receivers (excluding Matthew Willis et al.). So who will go?

Brandon Lloyd - Player who has made some great catches and can stretch the field with his speed.

Kenny McKinley - McDaniels draft pick who has great speed and good size, but hasn't done much yet.

Brandon Stokely - Shanahan holdover who is a savvy veteran, good blocker and possession receiver.

Here are the roles as they were in New England

Tall, fast, field-stretching, Randy Moss-type, #1 receiver -- Demaryus Thomas, Kenny McKinley

Quick, Wes Welker-type #2 receiver -- Eddie Royal, Brandon Lloyd, Brandon Stokley

Tough, blocking, possession-type #3 receiver -- Eric Decker, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Stokley

Looking at it this way, I think Stokley is the odd man out. He's no longer quick enough to be the #2, and while he's a good blocker and reliable possession receiver, he is undersized compared to Gaffney and Decker.

Other opinions?

I definitely think there will be 6 total receivers.

I hate to say Stokley, but I wonder if it is his year. I dont think they would have signed Lloyd for two years with no intension of keeping him.

I almost would mind seeing McKinley go after watching him shy away from contact and look so tenative on returns last season, but with Stokes history of concussions as well as his injuries tending to linger longer and longer............

Wait, screw it, boot McKinley and keep Lloyd and Stokes. Thats it. I cant let Stokes go!
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

I don't think Demaryius Thomas will be readu to start right away. He has too much to learn in too short a time period. He will be better served coming off the bench, and growing into the job.

The starters should be: Jabar Gafney, Eddie Royal and Brandon Lloyd, with Thomas and Decker as reserves. The final spot TBD, with Stokely and others battling for that spot.

To me, McKinley is useless. Her looks too small and frail, and does not play to his timed speed, and he is not a kick returner.

Stokely will make it if he is physically able to play and practice.

Matthew Willis is an interesting guy to watch as a darkhorse.

Comment

i love seeing people say that DT wont start? he most definitely WILL. regardless of him being raw, hes at least ready to do somewhat of what we need of him, be big and fast and run past small corners to stretch the field, and at least pose a threat of it happening, to open up other recievers like royal, and gaffney. lloyd to me is no different then brady quinn, he has potential to help us, but as good as he look to be able to be, its hard imagining that he will do much to help us, with all of the time he has been in the league and not really done a whole lot. and cutting mckinley in his 2nd year is gonna happen, they'll at least give him another year.

starters:
        DT
        royal
        gaffney
        decker
        mckinley
        (then from here it is up for grabs)
        stokely
        lloyd
        willis

...........we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcrill View Post
          i love seeing people say that DT wont start? he most definitely WILL.

He'll probably start because McD has to prove Marshall was expendable. He'll ride Thomas like he did with Moreno last year, even if it hurts the team. Thomas isn't ready but he might be able to make a few plays.

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
            He'll probably start because McD has to prove Marshall was expendable. He'll ride Thomas like he did with Moreno last year, even if it hurts the team. Thomas isn't ready but he might be able to make a few plays.

Like how he rode Moreno last year? Moreno had 247 carries, and was the starter for just 9/16 games last season. McD has no record of leaning on rookies to prove something, so I don't see why you'd assume he'd do it with DT.

If anything last year he showed that he will not make a rookie start if he isn't ready. Robert Ayers... Alphonso Smith... Darcel McBath... Knowshon Moreno... Seth Olsen... pretty much every draft pick actually.

There was opportunity at all of the positions these guys played to start, but he instead handed the jobs to vets. There is no reason McD would all of a sudden do it this year unless the player was more than ready. If anything your post appears to just be a poorly thought out jab at McDaniels.

Comment

As far as my opinion on the WR's go, I think McKinley definitely makes the team.

Several players have talked about his quickness in and out of cuts (Quinn mentioned he was a standout during a radio interview the other day). I think Lloyd makes the team but I wouldn't be surprised if McD hangs on to Stokes instead.

I think the game 1 lineup looks like this I think

WR1. Jabar Gaffney
              WR2. Eddie Royal
              WR3. Demaryious Thomas
              WR4. Eric Decker
              WR5. Brandon Lloyd
              WR6. Kenny McKinley

Comment

I think Stokes is the odd man out

He's been a great Bronco, but he has a lot going against him to make the team.

Thomas, Decker, Lloyd, Gaffney, and Stokley offer very little special teams value, and I doubt we carry seven receivers. One of those five will not make the team. Due to Brandon's injury history and big contract he just makes the most sense IMO.

I think we keep these six:
                D. Thomas
                J. Gaffney
                E. Royal
                B. Lloyd
                E. Decker
                K. McKinley

I wouldn't be shocked if Willis beats out Kenny for the 6th spot however.

Comment

Lloyd?...really Brandon Lloyd over Stokes? Are you guys serious? Lloyd sucks! Ive seen him drop many passes...especially when he played is Washington. How has he proven that he is better than stokes?

Comment

Originally posted by Syvari View Post
                    Lloyd?...really Brandon Lloyd over Stokes? Are you guys serious? Lloyd sucks! Ive seen him drop many passes...especially when he played is Washington. How has he proven that he is better than stokes?
                    He's younger, less injury prone, and just signed a new two year contract. He played well when given the chance last year.

Comment

He's 34 and went through a stretch last year where he had 7 catches in 11 games, and Royal and McKinley both project as a slot receiver and have more athleticism and upside than him.

Comment

To me, Lloyd is just like Gafney....a veteran guy who is getting better with age.

He looked like he could fit right into the core in the game he played in last season. To me, Lloyd fits right in to the general mold of the type of receivers the Patriots got good production from, and the Broncos have with players lke Gafney and Stokley.

I seem to like Brandon Lloyd more than others around here, but from what I have heard, the coaches like him as well, which is why he was signed to a two year extention.

Comment

If Decker and Bey-Bey pan out like we think they can, the Broncos are going to have an absolutely deadly WR trio that are all under 25... Not just that but their combination of size and speed would make them a nightmare for any defense.

1.) Thomas- 6'3 225lbs and runs a 4.38? Nuff said.

2.) Royal- Perfect slot receiver that also runs a 4.3. He will make nickel CB's and LB's want to retire after covering him...

3.) Decker- 6'3 217 lbs with hands like glue and runs precise routes. Seems like a sure lock to become a top 5 #2 WR in the NFL for years to come.

I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Comment

I think we could possibly carry 7 recievers.

Gaffney
                            Lloyd
                            Thomas
                            Decker
                            McKinley- being deactivated some games
                            Royal
                            Willis- being deactivated some games

I think this is when the versatility of players come into affect. Which will Free up a couple of roster spots.

Nathan Jones CB/S
                            Josh Barrett S/OLB (if they're still trying him at OLB)
                            Chris Baker DT/DE

And multiple O-Lineman that can play more than one position.
                            sigpic

Comment

We start 3 WR's, correct?

Thomas will be starting a few games into the season then.

Decker will be worked in, Lloyd will be irrelevant in terms of production, barring an injury to Gaffney.

Get the young guns out there...

Comment

Working...
                              X