Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting to know our newest Bronco Joe Mays....your going to like him!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to know our newest Bronco Joe Mays....your going to like him!!

Since we have picked up this LB from Philly, broncos fans are trying to figure out who this guy is. I have done some looking around, and I do not think that we are going to be disapointed. I compiled all the info I could and it can be found via links below. He is a firey competitior, who hits HARD and adds another nasty punch to a quickly improving defense. Enjoy!

Here is Joe Mays' Draftgys profile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW98PdZuX7Q

Maybe my favorite link on the guy. It is from a Philly writer that talks about the prospect of him starting in 09' and how he was a fan favorite there.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...eagles-in-2009

He's made some big hits, take a look!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gwL69VhM4

Great compelation of his hits and plays.(very good watch!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBTDYX09wM&feature=

Get ready Broncos fans, this guy might not be an all pro, but I have a feeling we are going to like this guy!

sigpic

By the way, there are a few more youtube links, but you can see those videos when you link to the others.
    sigpic

Comment

I think Joe Mays has the potential to be one of those special guys on defense.

Now let me clarify, I'm not sure that he'll be the next great linebacker for us. Hell he may be very good one day, but that's not what I am saying. I think in every good or great defense, you have the stars, and then have your solid, backup type players who can step up and make plays when needed. Players who you dont usually expect to step up and make a play, but do because thats what a great defense does.

I think if we get Mays into the system, he has the potential to be one of those players. Now I'm not saying I have high high hopes for the kid, but I think he could make some plays this year if he gets he chance.
      Just a diehard Broncos Fan trying to make it living in Charger/Raider country (SoCal)

Comment

This is great information....
        I didn't know much about this guy before this and your post made me understand and want to see him in action!
        Thanks!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrend View Post
          I think Joe Mays has the potential to be one of those special guys on defense.

Now let me clarify, I'm not sure that he'll be the next great linebacker for us. Hell he may be very good one day, but that's not what I am saying. I think in every good or great defense, you have the stars, and then have your solid, backup type players who can step up and make plays when needed. Players who you dont usually expect to step up and make a play, but do because thats what a great defense does.

I think if we get Mays into the system, he has the potential to be one of those players. Now I'm not saying I have high high hopes for the kid, but I think he could make some plays this year if he gets he chance.
          This is true. I remember when we lost John Mobley and Ian Gold in the same year, and we had to depend on Jashon Sykes and Donnie Spragan. I think we finish that year with the #4 Defense in the league. Those guys did great for us, but i would have to give alot of credit to the fact that Al Wilson was the heart and soul of the defense.
          sigpic

Comment

Watching those highlights I'd say that we stole him from the Eagles!
            Go Broncos!!!

Comment

AL WILSON....................Man I miss him..............

Comment

When he had the opportunity to play, seems like he was always around the ball making plays. A lot of folks are excited about his ST's abilities, and that's a huge plus. Nice trade, I like it....

He absolutely trucked Crayton in one of those highlights...:thumb:

Comment

Well he looks like a monster in those vids! Hopefully he can be consistent, I'm really looking forward to see him play in the orange & blue!! CP for the hard work researching to make things easier for us! haha

Comment

I like this quote from the article..
                    "Once he wraps his arms around a player or a part of a player, there is not much hope for escape—he is just too strong. Ball carriers don't have a chance in Mays' grasp. He can just lift them off of their feet and throw them to the ground.
                    "
                    I hope he does well for the broncos!

Comment

I like this. The idea of having two bruisers on ST now with Larsen and Mays make me happy.

Comment

It would be awesome if he could play well but...thinking we found some diamond in the rough is just wishful thinking. At the very best he'll make a few tackles on ST.

Comment

Originally posted by I Eat Staples View Post
                          It would be awesome if he could play well but...thinking we found some diamond in the rough is just wishful thinking. At the very best he'll make a few tackles on ST.
                          Exactly. By all means, I would love to see him become something special on 'D', but to think we've got a diamond in the rough might be wishful thinking. Are the Eagles that dumb to let a high caliber player go so cheaply? I doubt it. While those vids show some great plays, it doesn't mean we've got a pro-bowler either.
                          sigpic

Comment

Eagles fan here. We had a lot of hope for Mays going into 2009 - he racked up some very impressive tackle numbers as a rookie during the preseason in '08, it seemed like he was always around the ball on defense in those games. However, he wasn't able to do much on ST and was deactivated for most of 2008. In '09, MLB Stewart Bradley blew out his knee and a lot of fans were expecting Mays to step up and take the job, but he wasn't able to make the next step and spent most of the year only playing parttime on ST. After we drafted a couple of LBs this year, there wasn't much room left for him.

He could be a player that needs a change of scenery to come around, he pretty much used up all his chances in Philly. He's still young and did start off very impressively in '08, it just never came together for him as an Eagle. He's got a good motor, but that never seemed to translate into production, especially on ST where he needed to shine last year. I wish him well, but as with Arrington, there's reasons why he was traded.

Here's another fan's take on Mays.
                            Last edited by tagryn; 07-31-2010, 08:22 PM. Reason: added bottom link

Comment

Hopefully he comes to Denver with a fresh mindset and delivers the goods. He'll need to get better on ST though to get a real shot. Hopefully he rebounds. Thanks for the info.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X