Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it foolish to really think Jamaal Williams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bucking bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    No, NT was not the weakest spot last year. Both DE spots were much worse than the NT spot. Fields was average against the run for us. The DEs were horrible.

I disagree. The DEs were barely average for sure but NT was just a huge gaping hole the second half of the season. In a 3-4 if the NT doesn't hold his position, which Fields did not, it's ball game over. Most of the long runs in the latter part of the season were straight up the gut. Whether Fields was tired, I don't know. I know he isn't very big for a typical 3-4 NT. I do know that. Baker and Williams definitely have the more prototypical size to take on multiple line-men and not get pushed backwards.

Leave a comment:

• #1BRONCSFAN
    replied
    Guys remember Jamaal Williams did not play last year. He had the hole season and off season to rest.

Jamaal Williams even said he didint know why the chargers let him go because with that big of rest he feels really good for the season. He will be fine in the ROTATION.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
    If Williams fails the entire D-line will fail. NT was the weakest spot last year, by far...(Fields raise your hand)...and is still the biggest question mark. I would love to see Baker become a viable backup option and eventually the starting NT but he needs playing time to see where he's at.
    No, NT was not the weakest spot last year. Both DE spots were much worse than the NT spot. Fields was average against the run for us. The DEs were horrible.

Leave a comment:

• bucking bronco
    replied
    If Williams fails the entire D-line will fail. NT was the weakest spot last year, by far...(Fields raise your hand)...and is still the biggest question mark. I would love to see Baker become a viable backup option and eventually the starting NT but he needs playing time to see where he's at.

Leave a comment:

• expatRick
    replied
    Williams essentially had a year off to recuperate. He should be fine for 25-30 snaps. I'd bet the house they'll see a ton of nickel on first down until they prove they can stop the run in that package.

Leave a comment:

• Br0nc0Buster
    replied
    I dont think they are going to play Jamaal a ton this year

if healthy he will provide a huge boost in our run defense, but outside of running downs I doubt they plan to keep him out on the field

Having Jamaal will also help Fields as he wont take quite the pounding this year, and hopefully Baker gets in there as well to keep all three NTs relatively fresh throughout the year

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    He has only missed 6 games since 2003 not counting last season. He tore his tricep to miss last season, it's not like he had his knee replaced, broke his leg or something like that. I see no reason why Jamal doesn't start at least 14 games for us next season.

Baker may not even make the team and McBean might actually start at RDE. I hope Baker has the potential to make it but he is in a big group of players competing for 1 or 2 spots.
    I agree with your take on Jamaal. I think its in his best interest to be on the pup list right now. Nunelly has coached him for many years and Jamaal doesn't need the wear of TC on his body. I almost wonder if him missing TC was planned. The younger guys like Baker, McBean and Thomas need those reps much more than Williams does. This will give them an opportunity to get a good look at the younger guys and decide who they want to keep.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by JayJack View Post
    I think that you fell to realize that Williams will be in a rotation, something that we didn't have enough depth to do effectively last year . I would probably agree with you if we were depending on him to take every snap for 16+ games, but thats not the case. I expect Williams to take about 65% of the snaps. But thats just my opinion.
    I don't think you can truly have a rotation at NT. If we force a lot of long 3rd downs or if teams feel they can spread our defense out and pass on us then yeah theoretically it would be possible for him to take 65% of the snaps but our strength is our secondary and pass rush so I don't think teams will try to attack us there until we prove our run D can hold up. And it's not like Jamal Williams will be able to sprint off the field to make a quick substitution unless the offense makes one as well to go to more of a passing formation.

I really expect teams to just come out and line up in running formations and run right at us, or at least right at Dumervil until we prove that we can stop it. If we do good at stopping the run then it's no problem. If we don't then big problems start. I do think we'll be better than last year on defense but I don't think it'll be top 10 defensively. For run defense, I'm just shooting for top 16. It'd be a huge improvement for us.

I'm kind of rambling right now, but I'll say that Jamal Williams will take 75% of the snaps barring injury.

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    Going into his 14th season as a NT where he's played over 330 his whole career. Knees start to become a problem for anyone at this point in their career. By soon I don't mean this season, he could still have 2 seasons before his knees start acting up but they will start acting up
    I think that you fell to realize that Williams will be in a rotation, something that we didn't have enough depth to do effectively last year . I would probably agree with you if we were depending on him to take every snap for 16+ games, but thats not the case. I expect Williams to take about 65% of the snaps. But thats just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    I read a report that said he was not at the OTA's because he was working out on his on, trying to get to 295 to play DE. Then he did a interview with Josina Anderson, which he said he put on a few pounds so he could play Nose Guard. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7tun1v3G4
    hmmm....I hadn't seen that before. He will definitely have to step up his game if he plans on playing NT. I agree with you that he would be a better fit at DE.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    I read a report that said he was not at the OTA's because he was working out on his on, trying to get to 295 to play DE. Then he did a interview with Josina Anderson, which he said he put on a few pounds so he could play Nose Guard. Here's the link.

I don't think Thomas knows what he wants to play, or maybe he really wants to play DE but he got lazy while working out and started gaining weight and he tried to save face by saying he wanted to play NT. Either way he wasn't very good when he played last season. He's gained and lost so much weight now, it's hard to really tell who he is anymore. I know for sure he isn't the guy we drafted to play UT in the 4-3. If he could get back to 295 he'd make a good DE but I'm not sure it's possible for him anymore

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    As you say, he hasn't had any knee problems yet. Why would they start up all of a sudden?
    Going into his 14th season as a NT where he's played over 330 his whole career. Knees start to become a problem for anyone at this point in their career. By soon I don't mean this season, he could still have 2 seasons before his knees start acting up but they will start acting up

Leave a comment:

• JayJack
    replied
    Thomas is playing DE this season.

Last edited by JayJack; 07-31-2010, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Meh he's at the point in his career where playing football at 330+ for your whole career starts to wear down your knees, he hasn't had knee problems yet but it is coming soon.
    As you say, he hasn't had any knee problems yet. Why would they start up all of a sudden?

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    If J. Will gets injured, i think the starting D-Line would be: Green Fields bannan. I would love to say Baker would be the starting NT, but i think they may use him in a DT/DE rotation. Fields was the least of our problems on our line last year. He held his own but he wore down from the lack of "bad" rotation. I like Marcus Thomas, but he is a 4-3 DT/3-4 DE. He is not a NT at all.
    Thomas is playing DE this season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X