No announcement yet.

Is this the year Jarvis Moss blows up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be suprised if this is a smokescreen and McDaniels pulls off a trade for a couploe conditional picks.

Comment

if we can get play our of ayers and moss thats great news. and if it happens our d will be alot more domiante.
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

This has become a common theme every offseason since we drafted Moss. There's always that glimmer of hope that seems to spark everyone into believing that "this is the event that turns it around." Last year it was the Arizona preseason game where he looked like he belonged on the field. The year before it was the fact that Moss added more bulk to his frame. This year it's Darrell Reid giving him props, along with Ayers being relegated to waterboy during OTAs and Jarvis Moss stepping into his spot. Most people around here who read my posts will deem me as a unphased optimists, but this is one thing I simply can't buy just from hearing about it.

Jarvis Moss has the athletic ability. We all know this. Guys dont get drafted in the middle of the first round if they don't have the athletic ability to be an NFL player. But, there's more to football then potential. And when that potential has shined through for such a small fraction of an NFL player's career, it's about time you start realizing that that player simply can't put it all together. I can only hope I'm wrong, but after getting the hopes up over such miniscule production/write-ups/positive moments, I'm ready to simply play the part of sitting back and not buying anything until the production and potential shine through on the field, and on a consistent basis.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snarfalicious View Post
          This has become a common theme every offseason since we drafted Moss. There's always that glimmer of hope that seems to spark everyone into believing that "this is the event that turns it around." Last year it was the Arizona preseason game where he looked like he belonged on the field. The year before it was the fact that Moss added more bulk to his frame. This year it's Darrell Reid giving him props, along with Ayers being relegated to waterboy during OTAs and Jarvis Moss stepping into his spot. Most people around here who read my posts will deem me as a unphased optimists, but this is one thing I simply can't buy just from hearing about it.

Jarvis Moss has the athletic ability. We all know this. Guys dont get drafted in the middle of the first round if they don't have the athletic ability to be an NFL player. But, there's more to football then potential. And when that potential has shined through for such a small fraction of an NFL player's career, it's about time you start realizing that that player simply can't put it all together. I can only hope I'm wrong, but after getting the hopes up over such miniscule production/write-ups/positive moments, I'm ready to simply play the part of sitting back and not buying anything until the production and potential shine through on the field, and on a consistent basis.
          I can respect what your saying to the fullest. But, i'm mainly hanging onto the fact that last year McD had not ties to Moss what so ever, Moss was very close to "retiring" or "giving up" and it would've been very easy for McD to release him, but he didn't. Is it because he got a soft spot in his heart for Moss, or did Moss just work that damn hard? Who knows. Although McD is going into his 2nd season as the HC. I've been more impressed with his evaluation of talent overall (draft/free agency) than i was with Shanny in the last 3 to 4yrs.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
            I can respect what your saying to the fullest. But, i'm mainly hanging onto the fact that last year McD had not ties to Moss what so ever, Moss was very close to "retiring" or "giving up" and it would've been very easy for McD to release him, but he didn't. Is it because he got a soft spot in his heart for Moss, or did Moss just work that damn hard? Who knows. Although McD is going into his 2nd season as the HC. I've been more impressed with his evaluation of talent overall (draft/free agency) than i was with Shanny in the last 3 to 4yrs.
            If we know anything about McD, it's that he doesn't really have a soft spot for players. He's very much like Belichick in that regard, this is a business, a business of winning, if you aren't on board, you're out of the fold.

If you look at the depth of OLB last year, it was extremely thin. We had 5 guys there, none of which had any experience playing in the 3-4 (Doom, Ayers, Reid, Haggan, and Moss). I would attribute one of the main reasons we kept him was a combination of his performance during the Arizona Cardinals preseason game (if Moss brought that intensity week in/out he would have the same amount of sacks Doom has in his career or at least close) and the lack of quality depth.

Also, it is extremely hard to give up on a player that you drafted in the first round after 3 years. I'm sure McD was well aware of Moss being touted as a 3-4 OLB coming out of college, and wanted to give him a year under the system to see if he could realize at least some of that potential. I am in no way rooting against Moss, but it's about time he puts something out on the field and not just when he is on the chopping block (Arizona Preseason game).
            sigpic

Comment

I am trying to figure out how he would get in with out someone getting injured, or if they are just horrible.

I think he would flourish in the system. He has the length and athleticism to get after that QB.

We have been saying for 3 years now, and who knows what the Tebow effect will be on Moss. I am suspecting there is some effect.

BTW, that in itself is another thing that I think is lost in the analysis of Tebow by his critics.

Just what his influence is on everyone around him. It apparently has an intangible effect that cant be measured. However, it is indeed there.

:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                It's unlikely, but you can't say he's never going to be good.
                No I think that you can definitely say that Moss has never been a good player and he never will be a good player
                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                  No I think that you can definitely say that Moss has never been a good player and he never will be a good player
                  You can't say for certain he'll never be good. Plenty of players have started lower and done worse their first few seasons and ended up as good players.

Comment

I remember criticizing the Moss pick. To me, he had bust written all over him. Of course, like always, you couldn't find a person on here that didn't love that pick at the time. Just like all the people who got excited over the Quinn trade. "Oh, he has sooooo much potential"..."oh, McD is the QB Guru Quinn never had"...Bwahahaha! Now he can't even beat out a rookie with bad mechanics for the 2nd string position. It makes me wonder what the average age on here is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                      You can't say for certain he'll never be good. Plenty of players have started lower and done worse their first few seasons and ended up as good players.
                      Yeah no I can honestly say that unless he joins some mens beer league flag football team....He is never going to be good. He is going into his 4th season and Ayers has burried him on the depth chart and Ayers wouldnt start on 25 teams in this league..... that is pretty telling right there
                      Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
                        I remember criticizing the Moss pick. To me, he had bust written all over him. Of course, like always, you couldn't find a person on here that didn't love that pick at the time. Just like all the people who got excited over the Quinn trade. "Oh, he has sooooo much potential"..."oh, McD is the QB Guru Quinn never had"...Bwahahaha! Now he can't even beat out a rookie with bad mechanics for the 2nd string position. It makes me wonder what the average age on here is.
                        And I guess i've calmed down just a bit. But I still hate the pick. First of all, I realize there is a thing called weight gain. But Jarvis Moss was drafted here mainly because he is very quick, and very fast. Now, if he can keep his speed relatively intact while gaining weight, I may be a bit happier. But at the moment i don't like it.
                        That's me after the Jarvis Moss pick.

EDIT:

Notice the lack of unnecessary whining, complaining, name calling, etc?
                        Last edited by Hoserman117; 08-01-2010, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                          Yeah no I can honestly say that unless he joins some mens beer league flag football team....He is never going to be good. He is going into his 4th season and Ayers has burried him on the depth chart and Ayers wouldnt start on 25 teams in this league..... that is pretty telling right there
                          It doesn't matter who you are or what your opinions may be, nothing is guaranteed. There is no "for sure" or "never".

Comment

I am not here to debate what has gone on with Moss because I haven't been around to see what has happened. I can tell you he was considered an athletic freak at Florida. He could do amazing things for someone his height.

So, can you guys educate me on what seems to have been his problem? Scheme, position, ability, desire, injury, effort, etc. ?
                            sigpic

Comment

Maybe if you cover him in gasoline and light a match (though you'll have to light it for him he won't put the effort in)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                                I am not here to debate what has gone on with Moss because I haven't been around to see what has happened. I can tell you he was considered an athletic freak at Florida. He could do amazing things for someone his height.

So, can you guys educate me on what seems to have been his problem? Scheme, position, ability, desire, injury, effort, etc. ?
                                Laaaaaaaaaazy

Comment

Working...
                                X