Is this the year Jarvis Moss blows up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post

Notice the lack of unnecessary whining, complaining, name calling, etc?
    That's terrific but in the end, Moss did end up as a huge draft bust as I said he would. Soooo....sometimes looking at something from an objective viewpoint helps, which is what I try to do. Moss is very tall (6'6") and weighs little more than a blade of grass. Now, I know what the Broncos were trying to do....make Moss into the next Jason Taylor. The thing is Taylor was an athletic freak and athletic freaks don't come around very often. Moss simply does not have the strength to play DE in a 4-3. And he is too tall which equates to NOT QUICK ENOUGH to play LB in a 3-4. The thing everyone was impressed about Moss was his 40 time and height. Being an objective observer, I don't get wrapped up in 40 times and such. Do you ever see a short 100m runner in the Olympics? Hell no. But they're fast! In the NFL QUICKNESS off the snap and leverage is what matters to DEs and rush LBs. That's why a shrimp like Doom remains consistently good.

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
      That's terrific but in the end, Moss did end up as a huge draft bust as I said he would. Soooo....sometimes looking at something from an objective viewpoint helps, which is what I try to do. Moss is very tall (6'6") and weighs little more than a blade of grass. Now, I know what the Broncos were trying to do....make Moss into the next Jason Taylor. The thing is Taylor was an athletic freak and athletic freaks don't come around very often. Moss simply does not have the strength to play DE in a 4-3. And he is too tall which equates to NOT QUICK ENOUGH to play LB in a 3-4. The thing everyone was impressed about Moss was his 40 time and height. Being an objective observer, I don't get wrapped up in 40 times and such. Do you ever see a short 100m runner in the Olympics? Hell no. But they're fast! In the NFL QUICKNESS off the snap and leverage is what matters to DEs and rush LBs. That's why a shrimp like Doom remains consistently good.
      Yeah, everyone argues leverage for Doom and that's part of it, but he also has arms much longer than the average for his height and that's a bigger part. Moss has those same long arms, he just has to work on shedding blocks better so he has to work on hand placement and stuff like that. Doom never beats an OT if he doesn't get his hands on him first, it's hard for any pass rusher to beat an OT if they don't get their hands on first. Being 6'6" isn't his problem, because standing will actually help him keep his quickness and his speed. Moss coming out of a 3 point stance was terrible, he lost all his advantages and he wasn't strong enough to get off a block. Now as an OLB he can use all of his advantages and OTs won't be able to immediately get their hands on him.

Also don't forget that it Jim Bates was the DC when we drafted him. His 4-3 scheme would have used Moss to the best of his abilities but we didn't have the DTs to run his scheme. Ideally we would have needed to 315+ guys in the middle for it to work. We had that but they were old and weak for their weight.

As I've already mentioned d-linemen take about 3 seasons to develop. And when you have a different scheme every season, it's hard to work on your technique and improve your overall game because you have to re-learn a whole new playbook. Not much time for improvement. Now that Moss is in his 2nd season in a system that is a great fit for him, we should see him on the field as a situational pass rusher and I think he'll get at least 5 sacks.

Comment

I remember criticizing the Moss pick. To me, he had bust written all over him. Of course, like always, you couldn't find a person on here that didn't love that pick at the time. Just like all the people who got excited over the Quinn trade. "Oh, he has sooooo much potential"..."oh, McD is the QB Guru Quinn never had"...Bwahahaha! Now he can't even beat out a rookie with bad mechanics for the 2nd string position. It makes me wonder what the average age on here is.
        How do you know who will be 2nd string? I don't think anyone, even McD, knows what the pecking order will be yet since they haven't even run through in pads yet.
        sigpic

Comment

How is he too tall? Moss and Jason Taylor are about the same size.
          sigpic

Comment

if he blew up, that means ayers wouldn have the season i want him to have. i would rather see ayers have an amazing year than moss, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              How is he too tall? Moss and Jason Taylor are about the same size.
              I've already explained that. Taylor is a athletic freak. Moss is not. Sometimes simple questions have simple answers.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                How do you know who will be 2nd string? I don't think anyone, even McD, knows what the pecking order will be yet since they haven't even run through in pads yet.

HaHa....I guess we shall see. Is there any doubt McD will run a few trick plays for Tebow? Tebow will see more playing time than Quinn...can we agree on that statement?

Quinn is lucky to even have a job in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                X