Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rule of 26-27-60 helps predict NFL quarterback success or failure

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
    Just where has McDaniels said that? Just give us a single, credible link that quotes McD saying that Timmy is Kyle's REPLACEMENT, please.

    Now why would McD say that? Did Shanny say Cutler was drafted to be Plummer's replacement? It's just obvious.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
      I would like to see a chart of all QB's and how they line up on that chart before I give this a whole lot of credibility. He list some very good QB's that met the "Test" but state that is some of them. OK - show me all of them. If they are all successful that would mean a great deal more as a standard. If there are many that met this "test" but failed then this is just hyperbole. Conversely, how about all the QB's that failed but were successful instead of picking some examples. If not saying this is wrong or inaccurate but show me the whole truth not state a position and pick examples that fit for your theory.

      Interesting though even if not totally accurate.

      Well, I think it's more of a general "rule of thumb" than an absolute and inflexible standard.

      Several examples were provided of those who did NOT meet ALL of the criteria (only the 26 games I think) that have gone on to NFL success. But what able the inverse? Are the QBs who met ALL of the rule who became NFL busts? Aside from injuries, that is...
      "That's a crap question."
      - Kyle Orton

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
        Well, I think it's more of a general "rule of thumb" than an absolute and inflexible standard.

        Several examples were provided of those who did NOT meet ALL of the criteria (only the 26 games I think) that have gone on to NFL success. But what able the inverse? Are the QBs who met ALL of the rule who became NFL busts? Aside from injuries, that is...
        Well lets face it - the NFL and the so called experts have a terrible track record at picking winners. Anything that would approach 50-50 would be decent. If this concept is better than 50-50 it is reasonable to explore the possibilities. I think we need a statistics major hone this down a bit. :thumb:

        P.S. That first sentence reminded me of the line from "Pirates of the Carribean" - "The pirates code is more like guidelines than actual rules."
        Last edited by Nimrod; 08-01-2010, 08:44 AM.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          The main problem with this entire article is, what's the measure of success? Some define success only by the elite level of play by the top QBs in the league. And thus, failure as the inverse, or everything not elite. So QBs who won a lot of games and have accomplished a lot would by that measure be considered failures. QBs like Matt Hasselbeck, Trent Green, Drew Bledsoe, Chad Pennington.

          With such a wide variance of the measure of "success", using a strict measure to determine QBs who will reach it is sort of pointless.
          "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Lomax View Post
            The main problem with this entire article is, what's the measure of success? Some define success only by the elite level of play by the top QBs in the league. And thus, failure as the inverse, or everything not elite. So QBs who won a lot of games and have accomplished a lot would by that measure be considered failures. QBs like Matt Hasselbeck, Trent Green, Drew Bledsoe, Chad Pennington.

            With such a wide variance of the measure of "success", using a strict measure to determine QBs who will reach it is sort of pointless.
            I think that most here can tell the difference between the failures of Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf & company and even moderate successes of Matt Hassellbeck, Trent Green, etc.
            "That's a crap question."
            - Kyle Orton

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
              Just where has McDaniels said that? Just give us a single, credible link that quotes McD saying that Timmy is Kyle's REPLACEMENT, please.

              The contract Tebow just signed keeps his salary around $2.24M per year if he stays on the bench. About $750,000 per year LESS than what they paid Simms to sit on the bench...
              Drafting a QB in the 1st round is a 100% indicator that he is intended to be the eventual replacement of the current starter, and also the long-term solution. He doesn't have to say it because nobody has EVER drafted a QB in the 1st round to be a backup.

              Don't know what you're trying to say about Simms making more than Tebow. Simms had been in the league for a while so it makes sense that he made more.
              sigpicthanks Freyaka

              Comment


              • #22
                I think of the 3 stats used the wonderlic score is the least reliable. Technically, the questions asked don't relate directly to football. Tebow scored about average on it, so I'm thinking that, combined with him finishing high school early and having a 3.5+ GPA at Florida, show he is plenty intelligent to play in the NFL.

                More important are the other 2 statistics, games played and completion %. Those are actually very good indicators.
                sigpicthanks Freyaka

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
                  Just where has McDaniels said that? Just give us a single, credible link that quotes McD saying that Timmy is Kyle's REPLACEMENT, please.
                  Here's one source: Link

                  Pay attention to the video description, particuarly:
                  25th overall pick

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by england4broncos View Post
                    Originally posted by neckbeard
                    Just where has McDaniels said that? Just give us a single, credible link that quotes McD saying that Timmy is Kyle's REPLACEMENT, please.
                    Here's one source: Link

                    Pay attention to the video description, particuarly:
                    25th overall pick
                    Sorry, but I paid very close attention to that entire video. No where in it did I see or hear Josh McDaniels say that Tebow was the starting QB or that he will replace Orton. I didn't hear any of the babbling idiots from ESPN quote McD as having said that either.
                    "That's a crap question."
                    - Kyle Orton

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
                      Sorry, but I paid very close attention to that entire video. No where in it did I see or hear Josh McDaniels say that Tebow was the starting QB or that he will replace Orton. I didn't hear any of the babbling idiots from ESPN quote McD as having said that either.
                      Kyle? Is that you?

                      I suppose you can be excused from training camp, I mean you are the starter and you don't have anyone behind you who could be a possible replacement.

                      How's the wife?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
                        I think that most here can tell the difference between the failures of Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf & company and even moderate successes of Matt Hassellbeck, Trent Green, etc.
                        Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, the article doesn't distinguish. Either a QB is A. successful or B. not successful. So a colossal failure like Russell isn't distinguished from a guy who enjoyed lots of early success who never was the same after injury in Culpepper. Or Vick, a guy who has 3 pro-bowl appearances and made the NFC Championship game.
                        Last edited by Lomax; 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM.
                        "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by england4broncos View Post
                          Originally posted by neckbeard
                          Sorry, but I paid very close attention to that entire video. No where in it did I see or hear Josh McDaniels say that Tebow was the starting QB or that he will replace Orton. I didn't hear any of the babbling idiots from ESPN quote McD as having said that either.
                          Kyle? Is that you?

                          I suppose you can be excused from training camp, I mean you are the starter and you don't have anyone behind you who could be a possible replacement.

                          How's the wife?
                          So what you mean to say is, "Oops, you're right. JOSH MCDANIELS NEVER SAID THAT," right?
                          "That's a crap question."
                          - Kyle Orton

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            26-27-60? Sound like some bean counter's quantitative measure for success.

                            Qualitatively speaking, 1) coachability, 2) maturity) and 3) inate football instincts are more of a measure of a QBs success, of which Tebow has in spades. :thumb:

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X