• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krieger: Broncos lack real offensive weapon

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15656024

Krieger: Broncos lack real offensive weapon
    By Dave Krieger - The Denver Post

When the Broncos' first practice of training camp was over, the top two running backs on the depth chart were already on the shelf.

So that went well.

Depending on the severity of the injuries, this would be an issue for any team, but it's especially problematic for the Broncos for one reason:

If you had to designate a first-team offense right now, it wouldn't include a single playmaker who scares opposing defenses.

Knowshon Moreno, the team's top running back and top draft pick of a year ago, was at least a candidate to become such a player this season. He still might, depending on the extent of his injury and whether it lingers. But as omens go, carting off your starting running back on the first day of training camp is not what you're looking for.

Nor did it help that his principal backup, the oft-injured Correll Buckhalter, also had to leave practice with a leg injury that was later characterized as a back issue.

"Certainly you don't want to see two of your guys that you really count on in the same position to come off the field on the first day of training camp," coach Josh McDaniels allowed.

It was just last week that the Broncos traded running back J.J. Arrington to Philadelphia for Joe Mays, a linebacker who makes his mark on special teams.

Remaining on the depth chart after Moreno and Buckhalter are, in alphabetical order, Toney Baker, Lance Ball, Bruce Hall and Kolby Smith.

Or, to put it another way: Uh-oh.

In his first 18 months on the job, McDaniels has reconstituted the Broncos' offense by jettisoning the best-known playmakers of Mike Shanahan's final roster, including quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall.

Whatever you thought of those guys, they made the Pro Bowl, and opposing defensive coordinators had to game plan for them. As if to rub it in, Armando Salguero of The Miami Herald issued this report on Twitter from Dolphins camp Sunday: "Practice over. Another big day for Brandon Marshall. Tough day for DBs . . ."

Former practice-squad receiver Matthew Willis made a couple of nice catches at Dove Valley, but the Broncos' first practice didn't have a star, unless it was rookie quarterback Tim Tebow running the ball through tacklers not allowed to tackle him. The quarterbacks wear orange jerseys to remind defenders they are untouchable.

The Broncos introduced Marshall's replacement when first-round draft pick Demaryius Thomas made his debut after coming to terms on his first pro contract. As a receiver who played in a triple-option offense at Georgia Tech, Thomas has a longer learning curve than many rookies. He also missed most offseason work with a foot injury.

So the question remains: Who on the Broncos' offense is going to scare opposing defenses? Who will opponents game plan to stop?

McDaniels has made the case that an offense doesn't need stars to be productive. Rather, it needs team-oriented, hardworking guys who will devote themselves to executing complex plays precisely.

It's a nice theory, and in the age of the athlete as narcissist, one we'd all like to believe. Still, experience tells us that the better NFL offenses almost always have at least one player who presents matchup problems for the opponent because of size or speed or all-around ability.

If you had to draw up a depth chart for the Broncos' offense right now, the starting receivers would probably be journeyman Jabar Gaffney and third-year player Eddie Royal, with perhaps veteran Brandon Stokley in the slot.

A young player such as Thomas, Eric Decker, Kenny Mc- Kinley or even Willis might blossom in the preseason and move up. But for now, this is not a group likely to inspire fear around the league.

The starting tight end is Daniel Graham, a fearsome blocker and honorary offensive lineman. But his career high for receptions in a season is 38.

Kyle Orton has proved to be a steady hand at the wheel, but to this point he has not been a quarterback who keeps defensive coordinators up at night.

And now, with Moreno and Buckhalter hobbled, the Broncos are in the position of searching other rosters for surplus running backs who might be waived or traded as teams cut down in preparation for the season opener.

With any luck, the Broncos will get them back sooner rather than later. But the dual injuries highlight the team's need for offensive game-changers as camp gets underway.

---------------------

Thoughts?

I think our success moving the ball, and scoring points, depends more on the revamped O-Line than what skill positions we send out to attack opposng defenses.

Losing Marshall hurts, for sure. He's one of the most difficult WRs in the NFL to defend & tackle. But we've been here last year, when we replaced Cutler with Orton.

Cutler is a QB a defense must be aware of.... His arm is soemthing they gameplan to defend. This isn't the case with Orton. We really didn't see much of a drop off in production, even if it was obvious Orton didn't possess the arm of Jay.

This is not to say we really lit up the scoreboard, or that we improved... It's just that we had troubling scoring points with Cutler and with Orton. We surely moved the ball more under Cutler, but points wins games right?

ANYWAY, sorry to veer of course. Point is if the OFFENSE LINE does it's job, and protects the QB.... opens holes.... Then we'll survive with average skill players. A solid OL makes a decent WR look good, while a mediocre OL makes an all-pro WR look average. Simple as that.

Toss in Moreno. Possibly Royal. The hiccup Tebow might provide in certain packages... We have the makings to eb an above average offense.

I guess what matters most is the OL (and the Mcd schemes). Gulp!

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15656024

Krieger: Broncos lack real offensive weapon
    By Dave Krieger - The Denver Post

... McDaniels has reconstituted the Broncos' offense by jettisoning the best-known playmakers of Mike Shanahan's final roster, including quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall....
    This guy is a clown - his entire story comes down to the whine above, which I am sick and tired of hearing about.

McD "jettisond" a couple panzies that were a cancer to the team - period. Now someone please tell the writer that playmakers are MADE - they dont just appear - tomorrows HoF receiver/RB/QB is a no-name today.

So for all he knows we have a roster full of threats.

Sick and tired of these guys that can't generate an article with an original thought behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoXplant View Post
      This guy is a clown - his entire story comes down to the whine above, which I am sick and tired of hearing about.

McD "jettisond" a couple panzies that were a cancer to the team - period. Now someone please tell the writer that playmakers are MADE - they dont just appear - tomorrows HoF receiver/RB/QB is a no-name today.

Sick and tired of these guys that can't generate an article with an original thought behind it.
      Exactly.....this entire article can be summed up as: "I'm still pissed that McD traded away Marshall and Cutler". C'mon Krieger, I think it's time to come up with a new excuse to bash the team....

I wonder how long it's going to take before people just decide to move on....

Comment

Originally posted by 4th Amigo View Post
        Exactly.....this entire article can be summed up as: "I'm still pissed that McD traded away Marshall and Cutler". C'mon Krieger, I think it's time to come up with a new excuse to bash the team....

I wonder how long it's going to take before people just decide to move on....
        I know.... That;s why you have to be fair and (as a journalist) you must report on the production DEN got with Cutler and with Orton; b/c if this is all about team, and the Mcd system, then there is correlation here.

Marshall to Gaff = Cutler to Orton

Gaff-Orton might not be near the players Marsh-Cutler were, but perhaps in this system we see the same production. No?

Go look at points scored for DEN in 2008 & 2009, compare Orton to Cutler last year.... there you go.

OBVIOUSLY, a defense coord doesn't stay up nights worried about Gaff. But he did put up a monster game against KC.

Comment

I have to agree. I get sick of these "EXPERTS" thinking they are smarter than Coach McDaniel. He got rid of the cancer and brought the word "TEAM" into the game plan. I also get sick of "sunshine" fans who think they know better that all the Broncos coaches and openly whine about their every movement! If you know so darn much, go hire in as a professional football coach and show the world how smart your really are! What? You can't get a job as a professional coach! Maybe because you are not qualified! They why are you trying to tell professional coaches who are qualified, how to do their jobs!
          Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

Comment

The 1000 yards receiving in a season is overblown stats. I really don't know how this is a benchmark of being elite WR.

To get 1000 yards in 16 game season you have to produce 63 yards per game and there are some games where WRs produce 100+ yards which brings yards per game down further i.e in the range of 40-50 yards. Which I think a decent WRs can produce.

This purely biased opinion but I can understand this knee-jerk reaction since Marshall is no longer here.

Comment

Kreiger is right - with Moreno out, we have Thomas and that's pretty much it.

Time to fire Orton so we can put in Tebow, who IS an offensive weapon

Comment

The Denver Post lacks a guy who really know's how to study X's & O's........

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bob View Post
                  I have to agree. I get sick of these "EXPERTS" thinking they are smarter than Coach McDaniel. He got rid of the cancer and brought the word "TEAM" into the game plan. I also get sick of "sunshine" fans who think they know better that all the Broncos coaches and openly whine about their every movement! If you know so darn much, go hire in as a professional football coach and show the world how smart your really are! What? You can't get a job as a professional coach! Maybe because you are not qualified! They why are you trying to tell professional coaches who are qualified, how to do their jobs!
                  Go Broncos!!!:thumb:
                  I agree. So remember not to tell me who the Broncos should have because you're not qualified.

Also remember, another coach (Shanahan) that has actually won a Superbowl liked those players and that other coaches/GMs that are qualified also liked those players and gave Mcd lots of value for those players.

GMs like Mike Holmgren wanted Hillis and not Quinn. Bill Parcells was willing to have Brandon Marshall play for him. Mike Martz loves Jay Cutler.

So while I may not be qualified, I see some pretty qualified people that were willing to take these players off Mcd's hands, and Shanny, Holmgren and Parcells have certainly proven a lot more than Mcd has at this point in their careers.

And IMO, we don't have a single player now on offense that can make the probowl this year other than Clady, and he's coming off an injury, and maybe Marino, which is exactly what Kreiger said. No one on this offense has any special talents that will scare coordinators, except Tebow. Let's see how Gafney does when he's the #1 and teams have a week to prepare and can game plan for him like they did for Marshall.

Even Tony Sheffler was a unique player that require a little extra attention, as he was the best downfield TE in the NFL, which is why he lead the TEs in YPC. Sure, he can't block but D's still had to be aware of his special speed as a TE. What TE does that now?

The OL's two best players were inured and don't forget that Wiegmann was a probowl center just year before last and Dan Neil was a solid run blocker/starter. He didn't play well last year, but was a solid starter for 9 years.

ON top of that, we changed schemes. How will Clady and Harris do in a power scheme? Are we really going to start two rookies on the OL?

Not to mention, we lost Dennison and Bobby Turner as coaches. It's hard for me to believe they won't be missed, at least a little.

Comment

"McDaniels has made the case that an offense doesn't need stars to be productive. Rather, it needs team-oriented, hardworking guys who will devote themselves to executing complex plays precisely".

People seem to forget 2007, the ubertalented Pats broke out the whooping sticks on the score board.

Tom Brady 4806 yds 50TDs
                    Randy Moss 98Ctch 1493yds 23TDs
                    Wes Welker 112ctch 1175yds 8TDs

Even after Brady hurt his knee, the offense was still productive with Moss scoring 11 TDs.

The Broncos No2 receiver did not even wiff the end zone.

Gaffney had a whopping 2 scores.

If the running game Knoshows this year, this team might as well start Tebow. See if he has the mental prowess to make it through a season after all the growing pains.

At this rate, the worst that could happen is they get a new coach in 2011.
                    Wanna play a game?? Check it out at milehighhitman7.webs.com

Comment

Now someone please tell the writer that playmakers are MADE - they dont just appear - tomorrows HoF receiver/RB/QB is a no-name today.

Really? Can you explain that a bit better? So most RB's/WR's that end up in the HoF were no-name's?

Comment

You make it sound like McD "cut" those guys and the other teams were nice and picked them up.....

Maimi believes they are a WR away from a championship, so yeah they parted with picks.....

These moves were TRADES, so both sides got what they wanted, you have to build a TEAM to work togeather, so pieces that don't fit, can't be forced.

Before you tout all of shanny's moves, remember getting rid of guys like price, and gerald warren, for guys like Sam Adams, and the Browcows.... along with drafting guys like george foster, and willie middlebrooks. Not to mention the Solid D-line guys Shanny felt were so good, (engleburger, Josh Shaw, Robertson), so yes he has two rings, but a closet full of strike out's too...

Shanny won two superbowls, and i love him for that, but that was a decade ago, with Elway (HOF), and TD, one of a very few 2000 yd guys... No coach has won sb's with two teams, and Ditka, Holmgren, Jimmy johnson, **** Vermeil, all won sb's and then struggled with the second team (holmgren actually made it back, but the ref's gave the game to Pitt).

The problem is they don't try to build a team, they hurry and try to buy re-treads to patch a franchise back togeather (mcNabb, Willie parker, the list could go on).....

Turner & dennison, got promotions and don't really fit the system, a BMW is great, unless you're trying to pull a horse trailer..... Don't count out studsville for one second, because he's solid in the power running game, with the RB's......

Comment

The bolded part is for the most part untrue. Sure there are some guys who emerge out of nowhere and become stars, the diamonds in the rough, but these guys are rare compared to all the highly-regarded talent that doesn't bust and goes on to become stars. Most star players were 1st or 2nd round picks. I'm not saying late round picks can't shock everyone and become stars, but it's just not as common as high picks becoming stars. Which should be obvious...

This article is true. We have a lot of "nice young players" or "hardworking guys with upside", but there's not one player on our offense that defenses are scared of. No matter how hard we work or how well we get along, we simply do not have enough talent to be a superbowl team.

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post
                            You make it sound like McD "cut" those guys and the other teams were nice and picked them up.....

Maimi believes they are a WR away from a championship, so yeah they parted with picks.....

These moves were TRADES, so both sides got what they wanted, you have to build a TEAM to work togeather, so pieces that don't fit, can't be forced.

Before you tout all of shanny's moves, remember getting rid of guys like price, and gerald warren, for guys like Sam Adams, and the Browcows.... along with drafting guys like george foster, and willie middlebrooks. Not to mention the Solid D-line guys Shanny felt were so good, (engleburger, Josh Shaw, Robertson), so yes he has two rings, but a closet full of strike out's too...

Shanny won two superbowls, and i love him for that, but that was a decade ago, with Elway (HOF), and TD, one of a very few 2000 yd guys... No coach has won sb's with two teams, and Ditka, Holmgren, Jimmy johnson, **** Vermeil, all won sb's and then struggled with the second team (holmgren actually made it back, but the ref's gave the game to Pitt).

The problem is they don't try to build a team, they hurry and try to buy re-treads to patch a franchise back togeather (mcNabb, Willie parker, the list could go on).....

Turner & dennison, got promotions and don't really fit the system, a BMW is great, unless you're trying to pull a horse trailer..... Don't count out studsville for one second, because he's solid in the power running game, with the RB's......
                            I completely agree with the bolded statement, however, isn't that what McD is doing by signing aging veterans on defense?

Comment

Our most feared offensive player is Tebow,we gave away 3 draft picks to get him.If he plays this season we should have the best offensive player coming out the draft.Getting Tebow and giving away 3 draft picks really helped our offense.Mcdaniels is good at making a great offense,hopefully we score more points this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X