The "Backbone" Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Backbone" Players

Every good team has what I would describe as "backbone" players......they are the guys who you count on, who never quit and who give you confidence each and every week, knowing they will lead the team in the right direction. Over the years we've had our share........too many to list for that matter, but when we were in those SB winning years it was Elway, Rod, TD, McCaffrey on Offense alone that made us feel we were in good shape going into each game.

If you look at other teams....many are QBs (Brees, Manning, Brady) and offensive studs, whereas the Ravens have relied on Ray for many years.

A few years back, I did have Jay and Brandon on that list, along with Champ and DJ, for example. Last year, the pickings were average.....Dawk brought that quality over, and Doom was there each game, as was good ole Champ, DJ and Clady for sure.

So......I am talking about guys who can lead, guys who can play, guys who are charged up to win. In that regard, I believe we are starting to see more of those "characters" hanging out in Orange & Blue......we still have Champ, Dawk, DJ, Doom and Clady. But I believe the presence of another seasoned pro - Jamal W, will make a significant confidence impact, as well as a young Mr. Tebow, who adds another player of that description into the fold. You know, someone that keeps the energy level up on the field and on the sideline. I also see some of our other young men stepping up soon......maybe not as vocal leaders, but those who set the right example. Maybe Moreno will be there this year. But I can see Thomas or Decker or possibly one of the oliners emerging as well. Hey, Orton does have some of those qualities, and I'm sure the team backs him.

Overall, the list is growing again, like it did in the glory years (again, I know I left out a ton of names that should be on the list, including many great defensive players - Gradishar, Atwater, Wilson, etc. etc.). And as that list expands, I believe the results get better. Each week you gain confidence, knowing you have those special guys all around you, who will not lose without a scrap. I remember playing on teams with "those guys", and I always felt like we had a chance, because they were there.....

I agree. For offense this year Daniel Graham seems to fit this mold and I have a good feeling Eddie Royal is a great dark-horse to become an offensive leader and playmaker for this year and years to come.
    sigpic
    In the 13 games Orton started, the Broncos scored touchdowns inside the red zone on 17 of 104 trips (one on a Tebow run). With Tebow as the starter, the Broncos scored touchdowns 6-of-8 times inside the 20.

Comment

No doubt.

The Broncos have a lot of guys to stand behind, not only on the team roster, but within the coaching staff as well. The Broncos are becoming a mentally strong team.
      Adopter - theMileHighGuy

Adopted Bronco - Matt Prater

sigpic

Shout outs to BroncoSexyDaddy, theMileHighGuy and sbxxxiichamps!

Comment

Great post CanDB! This is why you're one of my top 10 favorite posters on BCMB. I think Orton will step up to be that guy who we can rely on game in and game out but he needs to be more consistent and step up his game. Same with our run defense. I ike what you said about Brian Dawkins. He is a backbone player definitely because he's intense and ferocious. I'd hate to meet hm in a dark alley!
        sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Im gonna go out on a limb and give love to some players who I feel have that drive to win and succeed.

Thats Knowshon....(love his energy)
          And Ayers.......(look at that penalty last year, yes it was dum, but he was pissed) and that can be dialed back!

I think Also Orton is a winner in his heart...so I have to include him, even tho I personaly dont think that is good enough but hope I am wrong.

Oh lord....How could I forget Touchdown Jesus Tebow.......
          These players give me the impression that their will to succeed and their hatred of failing motivates them alot....

As usual CanDB.....Great post!:thumb:
          sigpic

Comment

Oh my goodness....Even tho I was really, reaaaally pissed at him for picking Tebow that high earlier this year, I have to admit that this coach is winning me over somewhat with his attitude and what I think he is trying to build...
            Have to give credit to him as well...
            sigpic

Comment

I liken it to when I was on teams that had some real die hards..... inspired, one step ahead dudes, who always, always gave you a shot, even against a team that appeared superior on paper. They never stopped finding ways to succeed, and never quit. We were in every game, even those where we were the underdogs.

This as opposed to a few teams I was stuck with, who had a disjointed feel to them, with isolated talent and teamwork, and never achieved their potential. The atmosphere restricted enthusiasm to some degree, and sometimes the best part of the game was finishing it. And believe me, on each of them I tried to be a catalyst, but the energy required sucked me dry.....

Comment

This year on D it is going to be the same guys as last year... Dawk , champ, and Doom

On O.... I think that this year it has to be #27. I think he is the only chance that this team has to be competitive. I think that he is going to get a huge number of carries and he is going to have to get the job done. I think that if #27 goes that it is going to loosen up the passing game. That is why him poping a hammy is going to really hurt us
                Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                  This year on D it is going to be the same guys as last year... Dawk , champ, and Doom

On O.... I think that this year it has to be #27. I think he is the only chance that this team has to be competitive. I think that he is going to get a huge number of carries and he is going to have to get the job done. I think that if #27 goes that it is going to loosen up the passing game. That is why him poping a hammy is going to really hurt us
                  I see your point jf....and you know, we don't agree too often......but I think the hammy will be a short term issue, and Knowshon will get a chance at some point to make the kind of impact that both of us arelooking for.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    I see your point jf....and you know, we don't agree too often......but I think the hammy will be a short term issue, and Knowshon will get a chance at some point to make the kind of impact that both of us arelooking for.
                    I hope that you are right.... But hammys are sticky things for skill guys.... Look at how hobbled Champ was with lesser sprains.... You just never know but he is younger than Champ was so that should work in his favor
                    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

I hope that you are right.... But hammys are sticky things for skill guys.... Look at how hobbled Champ was with lesser sprains.... You just never know but he is younger than Champ was so that should work in his favor
                      Agreed! Hammies need to be carefully managed. If you don't let them heal you could be in for a lengthy injury. I've had several and they were not serious to begin with, so they healed fairly quickly. In Knowshon's favour are his age, athleticism and the wonders of modern medicine......

My hunch is that he will be okay by game one.

Comment

Game one would be nice...
                        but if he is not 100% by then...
                        they should hold him back.

If he aggravates the injury,
                        he could be hobbled all year long.
                        - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

excellent post amigo!

You are absolutely right. And it is funny because you can feel it now. Not the energy, you can feel that too, but you can just feel that we are a team again. Josh has really brought this team together to become a team. We were a ball club before and now we are a team.

As I said in the CP- it is AMAZING to me just how far off we had fallen from that. And while I agreed with many we needed some leadership these past few years, i had grown accustomed to the staleness of the team. And now that we have it, I can not believe that this was not something we brought more attention too. Instead of things like the DL not being drafted or whatever.

As for the guys I think are bringing it or showing it.

Knowshon- (hes my boy,ya know i'd have him on here, but only deservedly so)
                          Orton- I saw a bit of it today at camp, but I think he is becoming a leader
                          All the LB- Haggan, DJ, Ayers-
                          Dawk- nuff said. This guy could lead the blind across a tightrope
                          Champ
                          Kuper- he was really talking with my other boy JD Walton-leading him, helping him!

but further than just naming players- at TC-
                          gaffers, kyle, stokes and someone else were all talking during warmups and stretching. Then the Safties- Bruton, Mcbath, Dawk- they were all dancing and conversing. The DBs were doing the same also.

Now I understand that this happens a lot, and I saw it some last year, but not like this. They are becoming a real tight knit group and when you are tight with each other-Trust and communication appear and that brings out leaders who otherwise might not have been.
                          So far:
                          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                            excellent post amigo!

You are absolutely right. And it is funny because you can feel it now. Not the energy, you can feel that too, but you can just feel that we are a team again. Josh has really brought this team together to become a team. We were a ball club before and now we are a team.

As I said in the CP- it is AMAZING to me just how far off we had fallen from that. And while I agreed with many we needed some leadership these past few years, i had grown accustomed to the staleness of the team. And now that we have it, I can not believe that this was not something we brought more attention too. Instead of things like the DL not being drafted or whatever.

As for the guys I think are bringing it or showing it.

Knowshon- (hes my boy,ya know i'd have him on here, but only deservedly so)
                            Orton- I saw a bit of it today at camp, but I think he is becoming a leader
                            All the LB- Haggan, DJ, Ayers-
                            Dawk- nuff said. This guy could lead the blind across a tightrope
                            Champ
                            Kuper- he was really talking with my other boy JD Walton-leading him, helping him!

but further than just naming players- at TC-
                            gaffers, kyle, stokes and someone else were all talking during warmups and stretching. Then the Safties- Bruton, Mcbath, Dawk- they were all dancing and conversing. The DBs were doing the same also.

Now I understand that this happens a lot, and I saw it some last year, but not like this. They are becoming a real tight knit group and when you are tight with each other-Trust and communication appear and that brings out leaders who otherwise might not have been.
                            Excellent follow up bud! Appreciate the value add you have provided!

Comment

DOOM isn't really a leader of the team. They even asked him about it in an interview and says he would rather be quiet and let his play be an example. I remember when the Giants won the SB against the Pats, It was 4th quarter, down by 4 and Strahan was marching up and down the sideline telling his team all they needed was 7 and they would win 17-14. That is the type of players they need. I don't think DOOM is there yet, by his own words. He does consistantly play hard and is a good example. That is all well and good but I don't think that is being a true leader who inspires others. One of the young guys I can see stepping up into that role, if he makes the team, () is Eric Olsen. He is a fiery player who can step up and be one of those leaders that can fill that role when the older players are gone. Unfortunately, he may not be a starter and it is much harder to lead from the bench.
                              Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X