Brian Dawkins is against 18-game season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Dawkins is against 18-game season

Brian Dawkins has long been one of the most respected players in the NFL. He has been involved the NFL Players’ Association and his words carry weight.

So people should listen when Dawkins publicly comes out against an 18-game season. He shared his stance in an interview with a Denver radio station and didn’t mince words when asked if he liked the idea:

"Not even a little bit,” Dawkins said. “From a dollars and cents, I guess for some people that would make sense. But from a physical, longevity, the way the season is right now, I’m not talking about me right now at 36, I’m talking about me at 29, 28, I know how I felt going into the postseason, licking my wounds, so to speak. … If we have only two preseason games, guess who’s going to have to play more in those two preseason games? The starters. So you’re basically playing a 19-game schedule. … On top of that, those free agent guys who usually get those good looks in the last two preseason games, aren’t going to get those looks.”

For what it is worth, I agree with Dawkins. I don’t like the idea of an 18-game schedule. But whether we like it, it’s likely coming. But if more established players like Dawkins speak up, it could at least, create it an uncomfortable situation for the league during this cash-grab process.

Meanwhile, in other AFC West developments on Friday afternoon, the Broncos still haven’t decided whether to put Pro Bowl linebacker Elvis Dumervil on the injured reserve or to keep him on the 53-man roster with hopes he can help in December. Dumervil suffered a torn pectoral muscle this month.

Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli discusses his team’s development in a radio interview.

An ESPN.com columnist believes Denver left tackle Ryan Clady is one of the most important players to his team’s chances. Clady returned to practice this week after missing four months with a surgically-repaired knee. He was injured while playing pickup basketball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...18-game-season
    sigpic

If the league goes to 18 games despite the universal opposition of players there is something very, very wrong with how things are being done in the NFL.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

I agree w/ Dawkins on this.

Comment

Players really shouldn't have a problem with 18 games.

They're going to be playing the same amount of games they play now and getting paid for more of them.

So what if the starters have to play the bulk of two preseason games? They won't be playing much more or any more total time than they typically play now.

The league could help things out though by having two or three bye weeks per team. Perhaps they can even have a bye week before the wild card round of the playoffs.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
          The league could help things out though by having two or three bye weeks per team. Perhaps they can even have a bye week before the wild card round of the playoffs.
          And play the Super Bowl in April. Bye's? Extra games? Sorry but the season is long enough as it is. Players need to heal up after a season. Maybe not everybody is aware of this but football players experience bone trauma on every single play they make contact with an opposing player.

It's a rough sport. You extend the season by a month or two with the bye's and extra games, you'll see a lot of people losing interest and players getting hurt at an increased rate due to physical and mental fatigue. I'll take Dawkins word on the impact the game has on a young man.
          Rhyme Time: Loose, Caboose. Lose, Boo's. Grieve, Peeve? Cat, Hat and all of that...

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
            Players really shouldn't have a problem with 18 games.

They're going to be playing the same amount of games they play now and getting paid for more of them.

So what if the starters have to play the bulk of two preseason games? They won't be playing much more or any more total time than they typically play now.

I agree. The talk by the players of how much harder it will be on them is ridiculous. They already play almost all of game 3 and half of game 2 which is about 3 quarters short of the extra 2 games being asked to be put in the regular season. I don't really see much of a difference. They are getting paid for 20 games now and the season will still be 20 games if it changes so why do they deserve more money? Do backups give money back to the team if they don't play or get more money if the do play more than intended? Some players are already playing full preseason games such as Beadles and Walton on the Broncos, how is that any different from what the league is proposing?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by on2 View Post
              And play the Super Bowl in April. Bye's? Extra games? Sorry but the season is long enough as it is. Players need to heal up after a season. Maybe not everybody is aware of this but football players experience bone trauma on every single play they make contact with an opposing player.

It's a rough sport. You extend the season by a month or two with the bye's and extra games, you'll see a lot of people losing interest and players getting hurt at an increased rate due to physical and mental fatigue. I'll take Dawkins word on the impact the game has on a young man.
              They already play 20 games, how would the season be any longer???
              sigpic

Comment

I don't want 18 games in the regular season. It will mess with the stats and quality of the game.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                  I don't want 18 games in the regular season. It will mess with the stats and quality of the game.
                  This right here is what im worred about... you beat me too it, i dont want all these records to have two numbers, one with an * that marks it was the record in 16 games and the other in an 18 game season

Comment

They should do 3 bye weeks for an 18 game season.
                    So,

1-7, 8-9 byes, 9-12, 13-15 Byes, 15-18 season over. Then a mandatory bye before the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      They already play 20 games, how would the season be any longer???
                      3-4 bye week's would extend the season by a month. I said April to emphasize the ridiculousness of the idea. Also, the starters will be playing 18 regular season games. It might not be longer on the calendar (until you add 2-3 bye weeks and a bye between playoff games...), but it's 2 games longer for the starters and 2 games shorter for the young guys to show what they do against other teams in a real game setting.

Not concerned about injuries? No regard for what Brian Dawkins said?
                      Rhyme Time: Loose, Caboose. Lose, Boo's. Grieve, Peeve? Cat, Hat and all of that...

Comment

Originally posted by cutler4thewin View Post
                        This right here is what im worred about... you beat me too it, i dont want all these records to have two numbers, one with an * that marks it was the record in 16 games and the other in an 18 game season
                        I bet people said that when they switched from 12 games to 14 in 1960. After that, teams played 6 preseason games and 14 regular season games which is a 20 game season. In 1977 they switched to 4 preseason games and 16 regular season which is still a 20 game season. Now they want to switch to 2 and 18. It really isn't much different than they have been doing for 50 years.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cutler4thewin View Post
                          You mean like when there was only a 12 game schedule, then a 14 game one, then a 16 game one?

I hope there is a 18 season because then people will stop talking about how great a 1k rusher is, which was a great stat when there was a 14 game season.

Stats really don't matter, when players from this era enter the Hall it will be based on the fact that they played a 16 game season, not based on stats being generated in a 18 game season.

I think that argument is the weakest one for NOT having a 18 game season. Based on the fact that they've already done it multiple times with no ill effects for anyone.

Comment

3-4 bye week's would extend the season by a month. I said April to emphasize the ridiculousness of the idea. Also, the starters will be playing 18 regular season games. It might not be longer on the calendar (until you add 2-3 bye weeks and a bye between playoff games...), but it's 2 games longer for the starters and 2 games shorter for the young guys to show what they do against other teams in a real game setting.

The starters already play most of 2 preseason games. If they switch to an 18 game season and play young guys most of the 2 preseason, how is it much different than it is now? Beadles and Walton are playing all 20 games this season, should they complain about how unfair that is to them and demand more compensation?
                            sigpic

Comment

Who cares if football is extended longer, how is this a bad thing? Hmm, watching Football, or watching 3 months of Draft Hype BS, and another 3 for TC hype, or watch football longer?

If injuries are a worry byes are the answer. There is nothing wrong with longer seasons. FFS in Europe Soccer is essentially year round. No one ever gets sick of that.

Also, Brain Dawkins is posturing for the eventual negotiations that will be absolutely necessary for this to happen. This 18 game season will be heavily bargained on in the new CBA. So I take a lot of what he is saying with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X