Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos 2010 Prediction 10-6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broncos 2010 Prediction 10-6

    Every year, before the third preason game, I post a prediction on the team before the pre-season game that basically is a dry run. Last year I said that I thought the Broncos would be insanely good or insanely bad. I didn't think they could actually do it in the same year, but they did. Posting it now makes it public record. Don't comment unless you are willing to make your own prediction.

    Broncos 10-6 and make the playoffs. You heard it here first.

    There are a lot of things that have improved, not the least of which is Kyle Orton. While I still strongly believe that Kyle Orton is not, and won't be a great quarterback, I think that he has improved enough over the offseason to address two of the three major issues our offense had - a inability to throw over the middle of the field, and a inability to hit receivers in stride. I hope that both of these will help with a third more major issue - the insane suckage rate at 3rd down.

    I don't have a lack of confidence in our wide receivers - typically when a top ten receiver leaves a team, there is not a huge drop off from before, because the harder part is building the system and the chemistry to actually use the wide receivers. As long as Orton spreads the ball around more, and doesn't get stuck with just targeting Gaffney, we will be fine.

    I am far more concerned about the running back situation. It's gotten fashionable to question Moreno, especially given the collapse the second half of the season. However, I attribute that to Tyler Polumbus more then Moreno who seemed unable to generate any sort of surge along the line and was a constant liability. Moreno led all rookies in rushing last year. There's no reason to question improvement this year. Buckhalter is also a year older, but is still a dependable runner - outperforming Moreno on YPC last year. Lendale White, after his suspension should help. I don't have high hopes for Fargas (no chemistry yet - maybe this will imporve) and I think Hall may end up being the surprise of the group. I think we will also see more of Spenser Larsen this year as a blocking FB and targeted receiver. They did a lot in camp with him before his injury. Will it help with the third down woes? I think so.

    I don't have any confidence that we will get any production off of our TEs. They are there to block. The loss of Tony Scheffler could be a real setback.

    I don't actually think we will see Tebow enough to make a huge difference this year. Everyone and their mother have said that we will use Tebow in special packages, but that everyone and their mother doesn't include McDaniels. McDaniels has been very careful to never commit to anything publically. Yes, Tebow has looked good in pre-season and practice, but so did Simms last year. The playcalling when Simms was in, and when Tebow was in are very similar, and there is a decent chance that Tebow hasn't mastered the intricate playcalling yet. If Tebow is ready, and Orton+RBs continues his struggles in third down (and we have seen enough in camp to still be a bit worried about that), then he could end up making a huge difference. From my point of view Tebow is gravy on top of a offense that might deliver on last years promise even without him.

    It's on the strength of the offense alone that I predict 10-6.

    What about defense then? I am still worried about the new coaching staff. Everyone posts to the articles saying the players have bought into it, but I remember reading the exact same type of articles about Slowick (Champ in particular seems to get himself out there in support of any new DC), Coyers, etc. Player buy in goes away when teams start to struggle. Then it's every back for himself. I'm disturbed about Nolan leaving, and of course, the disastrous Elvis injury.

    But the moves the coaching staff have made are solid. Last year Ron Fields clearly wasn't getting it done at NT. New NT, new D-Line are helpful. But what is even more helpful is the idea of Moss finally delivering on his promise and Ayers stepping up like the 1st rounders we are paying them to be. There is still concern about how well Ayers and Moss can stop the run, but I think they will get to the quarterback.

    Behind them are Dawkins and the safeties. Can Dawkins repeat his performance last year? If camp and practice are anything to go by, then the answer is no. But they do have good talent behind them, and just like never betting against Tebow is a good idea, B-dawk's never lost a wager.

    Corners? Champs in a contract year. Goodman's underrated. Not sold on Cox given his games so far, but he's looked solid in camp. Jones is a utility player, and I don't think will ever be spectacular.

    Can defense be consistent enough to win the entire season? Last year the offense was underpowered - like a Fiesta engine a in Ferrari. The defense had to win every play. This year, I hope and pray the offense stepped up to the promise of what it would be when Josh McDaniels first got here. In that scenario, I think the defense we have will be excellent, if we don't ask too much of them.

    Special teams - Prater is undervalued, and quickly representing everything Elam was when he was in his prime. Punting remains a concern, but not a lot we can do about it. Special teams coverage looks good, although the lost of Barrett is sobering.

    So here is my prediction 10-6. Anyone else want to go public and risk humiliation?

  • #2
    I predict a 8-8 season.

    Comment


    • #3
      First winning season in 3 years this year. But it's a work in progress....
      still though: 9-7 with a playoff appearance.

      I had to homer in there somewhere so I homered the playoffness rather than the record. And for the record, I really do think you can make a case for Denver being 9-7 this year without any bias. I did at least...but I'm money so I dunno about you fools

      Comment


      • #4
        After watching this D...... I really think this team is going to have to scratch and claw their way to 5 wins. We cant stop anyone, and there is 0 pass rush...... Then with a one dimensional O.... Could get bad quick. especially if we start out anything but 2-0
        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by japfaff View Post
          After watching this D...... I really think this team is going to have to scratch and claw their way to 5 wins. We cant stop anyone, and there is 0 pass rush...... Then with a one dimensional O.... Could get bad quick. especially if we start out anything but 2-0
          Captain negativity over here. I thought fans were suppose to cheer their team on, you know, the opposite of pessimism.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm hoping for 9-7 but I'm expecting 5-11. Orton will do everything I said he couldnt do last year..win some games instead of just managing them. I dont expect too much this year but I'm excited nonetheless. Next year though..I think we'll have a solid year. Possibly playoff contenders.
            Last edited by 1987Broncos; 08-29-2010, 11:26 AM.
            sigpic

            I still keep to my 5-11 record. I dont have faith in McDaniels as a coach. Call me a hater or a Shanahan lover..whatever. I watched our team loaded with talent play a weaker opponent and lose. I've seen us replace a proven offensive genius (Shanahan) with a coach that took all the credit for Tom Brady's talent and watched our offense slowly turn into something you'd expect out of Detroit.

            Taken from http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...=172513&page=4

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OrangeFaithful View Post
              Captain negativity over here. I thought fans were suppose to cheer their team on, you know, the opposite of pessimism.
              I can cheer for a team and still realize there are problems captain homer. Overall 7-9 we got a cream puff schedule but with not pass rush no way to stop the run and an offense lead by kyle orton and a small back that is slow in his 2nd year with a young o line were in for a year of hurt I am sorry unlike those of you wearing orange colored glasses orton and high powered offense dont go together

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bubby Brister View Post
                I can cheer for a team and still realize there are problems captain homer. Overall 7-9 we got a cream puff schedule but with not pass rush no way to stop the run and an offense lead by kyle orton and a small back that is slow in his 2nd year with a young o line were in for a year of hurt I am sorry unlike those of you wearing orange colored glasses orton and high powered offense dont go together
                Look, I dont think Orton is the end-all of QBs but you gotta give credit where its due. He looked better than almost all the other QBs in the league save for the greats that I need not mention. An offense lead by Orton these days doesnt mean what it did in the past. The boy has matured and really come into his own. I'm no Orton Army member but I wont criticize a good player for doing nothing but playing well. I agree with ya a bit about the O-line and even Moreno but like you said..2nd year. Lets see if he can break 1000 yards this year before we throw him under the bus.


                SIDE NOTE: 300th POST
                sigpic

                I still keep to my 5-11 record. I dont have faith in McDaniels as a coach. Call me a hater or a Shanahan lover..whatever. I watched our team loaded with talent play a weaker opponent and lose. I've seen us replace a proven offensive genius (Shanahan) with a coach that took all the credit for Tom Brady's talent and watched our offense slowly turn into something you'd expect out of Detroit.

                Taken from http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...=172513&page=4

                Comment


                • #9
                  i think we will be 9-7 but only if the broncos oline can get a push this year. Last year the broncos oline got no push in the center and really hindered knowshon and the entire offense.

                  With some better oline play i expect great things from knowshon who could be a star. If o line plays better knowshon runs better which takes pressure of orton and the defense.
                  sigpic
                  "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bubby Brister View Post
                    I can cheer for a team and still realize there are problems captain homer. Overall 7-9 we got a cream puff schedule but with not pass rush no way to stop the run and an offense lead by kyle orton and a small back that is slow in his 2nd year with a young o line were in for a year of hurt I am sorry unlike those of you wearing orange colored glasses orton and high powered offense dont go together
                    So you had to justify your own pessimism that you might still call it cheering for you team? Its funny when fans of the Broncos eat crow for underestimating their own team when said team does the things the fans said the team couldn't do. Make sense? HA it basically means I see how bitter you are towards Orton and one of our RB's. From what I can tell, it'll be easy enough for them to surpass your incredibly low expectations of them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We've got the offense to do it. our WR's have looked very good and demaryius thomas isn't playing! clady will be back in a couple weeks. 2 or 3. moreno, buck, and white will be back soon (whites suspended, i know but we'll be fine without him)

                      we've been without key players on our defense. bannan has looked solid, but not amazing.

                      IMO, the broncos defense will be ranked 12th-18th in the league this season.

                      Offense: 9th-15th. im THAT sure.

                      10-6 this year. i can see it.
                      sigpic

                      2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                      Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        8-8

                        Tide is turning. McD is getting his profile of player into the mix. Unfortunately, many are young and despite a good draft, these kids are going to go through growing pains.

                        Not 100% sold on the D-Line at this stage and I know we're going to have some learning to do on the O-Line.

                        Given that's where it's won or lost, I predict McDaniels will make Orton use a lot of 3-step drops and we will win some games - just not enough to make the 1st winning season for McD happen as HC, but keeps his non-losing season record in tact.
                        Last edited by Pruke; 08-29-2010, 12:21 AM.
                        Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lostknight View Post
                          Every year, before the third preason game, I post a prediction on the team before the pre-season game that basically is a dry run. Last year I said that I thought the Broncos would be insanely good or insanely bad. I didn't think they could actually do it in the same year, but they did. Posting it now makes it public record. Don't comment unless you are willing to make your own prediction.

                          Broncos 10-6 and make the playoffs. You heard it here first.

                          There are a lot of things that have improved, not the least of which is Kyle Orton. While I still strongly believe that Kyle Orton is not, and won't be a great quarterback, I think that he has improved enough over the offseason to address two of the three major issues our offense had - a inability to throw over the middle of the field, and a inability to hit receivers in stride. I hope that both of these will help with a third more major issue - the insane suckage rate at 3rd down.

                          I don't have a lack of confidence in our wide receivers - typically when a top ten receiver leaves a team, there is not a huge drop off from before, because the harder part is building the system and the chemistry to actually use the wide receivers. As long as Orton spreads the ball around more, and doesn't get stuck with just targeting Gaffney, we will be fine.

                          I am far more concerned about the running back situation. It's gotten fashionable to question Moreno, especially given the collapse the second half of the season. However, I attribute that to Tyler Polumbus more then Moreno who seemed unable to generate any sort of surge along the line and was a constant liability. Moreno led all rookies in rushing last year. There's no reason to question improvement this year. Buckhalter is also a year older, but is still a dependable runner - outperforming Moreno on YPC last year. Lendale White, after his suspension should help. I don't have high hopes for Fargas (no chemistry yet - maybe this will imporve) and I think Hall may end up being the surprise of the group. I think we will also see more of Spenser Larsen this year as a blocking FB and targeted receiver. They did a lot in camp with him before his injury. Will it help with the third down woes? I think so.

                          I don't have any confidence that we will get any production off of our TEs. They are there to block. The loss of Tony Scheffler could be a real setback.

                          I don't actually think we will see Tebow enough to make a huge difference this year. Everyone and their mother have said that we will use Tebow in special packages, but that everyone and their mother doesn't include McDaniels. McDaniels has been very careful to never commit to anything publically. Yes, Tebow has looked good in pre-season and practice, but so did Simms last year. The playcalling when Simms was in, and when Tebow was in are very similar, and there is a decent chance that Tebow hasn't mastered the intricate playcalling yet. If Tebow is ready, and Orton+RBs continues his struggles in third down (and we have seen enough in camp to still be a bit worried about that), then he could end up making a huge difference. From my point of view Tebow is gravy on top of a offense that might deliver on last years promise even without him.

                          It's on the strength of the offense alone that I predict 10-6.

                          What about defense then? I am still worried about the new coaching staff. Everyone posts to the articles saying the players have bought into it, but I remember reading the exact same type of articles about Slowick (Champ in particular seems to get himself out there in support of any new DC), Coyers, etc. Player buy in goes away when teams start to struggle. Then it's every back for himself. I'm disturbed about Nolan leaving, and of course, the disastrous Elvis injury.

                          But the moves the coaching staff have made are solid. Last year Ron Fields clearly wasn't getting it done at NT. New NT, new D-Line are helpful. But what is even more helpful is the idea of Moss finally delivering on his promise and Ayers stepping up like the 1st rounders we are paying them to be. There is still concern about how well Ayers and Moss can stop the run, but I think they will get to the quarterback.

                          Behind them are Dawkins and the safeties. Can Dawkins repeat his performance last year? If camp and practice are anything to go by, then the answer is no. But they do have good talent behind them, and just like never betting against Tebow is a good idea, B-dawk's never lost a wager.

                          Corners? Champs in a contract year. Goodman's underrated. Not sold on Cox given his games so far, but he's looked solid in camp. Jones is a utility player, and I don't think will ever be spectacular.

                          Can defense be consistent enough to win the entire season? Last year the offense was underpowered - like a Fiesta engine a in Ferrari. The defense had to win every play. This year, I hope and pray the offense stepped up to the promise of what it would be when Josh McDaniels first got here. In that scenario, I think the defense we have will be excellent, if we don't ask too much of them.

                          Special teams - Prater is undervalued, and quickly representing everything Elam was when he was in his prime. Punting remains a concern, but not a lot we can do about it. Special teams coverage looks good, although the lost of Barrett is sobering.

                          So here is my prediction 10-6. Anyone else want to go public and risk humiliation?
                          i concur, i feel the offense ands defense is operating under vanilla standards as most are this preseason. I know if i were coaching i would show only base offense and defensive schemes to make sure my players were in the right spot and that proper reads (as fundamental as they seem) were taking place. Save the holy **** plays for when it counts.

                          I can easily see 10-6 as long as the D as well as O play solid disciplined ball, the puzzle pieces are layed out its time to see how fast mcd can put them together, judging by last season i think it will be faster than most would think.
                          He's still Tim Tebow... and you're NOT!
                          But Peyton Manning will win a Super Bowl.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OrangeFaithful View Post
                            Captain negativity over here. I thought fans were suppose to cheer their team on, you know, the opposite of pessimism.
                            It's a thread about what we predict the season will be like. The thread dictates that if Japfaff really thinks we will do that badly, he should feel free to say so.
                            You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1987Broncos View Post
                              I'm hoping for 9-7 but I'm expecting 5-10. Orton will do everything I said he couldnt do last year..win some games instead of just managing them. I dont expect too much this year but I'm excited nonetheless. Next year though..I think we'll have a solid year. Possibly playoff contenders.
                              5-10??? Am I missing something? Just kidding.... I will be bleeding orange and blue all season and probably screaming and yelling at the TV during every game... but I fear 7-9 on the horizon. I just think age and injuries are going to hurt us. Go Broncos!
                              sigpic

                              Bronco fan for 31 years!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X