Send your Thoughts to Kenny's Friends and Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send your Thoughts to Kenny's Friends and Family

On our web site there's a page where you can send a note to his friends and family.

I realize that nothing we can say right now would make it all okay, but perhaps by expressing our thoughts and warm wishes it can help make it slightly better.

It certainly doesn't hurt to try at least.

Heartbroken Broncos fall after tough week

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ter-tough-week

DENVER –- Two days after he spoke at a memorial service for the first time in his life and following a week of being a key part of the support system for the girlfriend and family of one his closest friends, Matt Prater had to prepare for an NFL game.

Just like the rest of the confusing, heartbreaking days since he received a phone call that Kenny McKinley had died Monday afternoon, Sunday wasn’t easy for the Denver Broncos’ kicker.

Six minutes before he had to kick off against the Indianapolis Colts in a 27-13 loss, Prater and his Broncos teammates had to stand through a moment of silence for McKinley.

“Here it is, just before the game and I’m crying,” Prater said. “I had to focus on a game and that was happening. I’m sure I wasn’t the only guy [crying]. ... I’m tearing up just talking about it now. It was a horrible week.”

McKinley died of an apparent suicide Monday. He was 23. The second-year receiver had been on injured reserve since early August because of a knee injury.

Since learning of McKinley’s death, the Broncos -- who had to deal with the deaths of 24-year-old players Darrent Williams and Damien Nash in 2007 -- have been burdened by grief and confusion over the death of a seemingly happy young man. Prater talked to McKinley on Sunday night and the two made plans to see each other Tuesday. Instead, Prater spent the day consoling McKinley’s girlfriend.

The Broncos had a team meeting Tuesday morning, during which coach Josh McDaniels and grief counselors addressed the team. The team had an emotional memorial service, which was attended by McKinley’s family, Friday. The team on Sunday wore McKinley’s No. 11 decal on the back of their helmets, as they will for the rest of the season.

During the moment of silence, Broncos special teams captain Wesley Woodyard pointed both arms high into the sky. As soon as the game ended, McKinley’s image graced the big screen at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Monday, a contingent of front-office members and players will attend McKinley’s funeral in Georgia.

Early last week, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels admitted that it wouldn’t be a normal week as the 1-1 Broncos had to prepare for Peyton Manning and the Colts.

And it wasn’t normal at all.

“It had a big effect on this team this week,” Prater said. "There was sadness. We felt it all week.”

After the game, Broncos officials privately lauded McDaniels -- who also spoke at the memorial service -- for allowing himself and his players to grieve while still keeping them focused on the game plan.

The following are some key aspects to the loss for Denver:

Too many mistakes: The Broncos hung with the Colts in this game. Yet, they were doomed by critical mistakes throughout the game. The Colts didn’t make big mistakes and that’s why they won.

Denver lost a fumbled punt at its 10. Quarterback Kyle Orton, despite putting up big numbers, was intercepted in Colts territory. Denver was stopped four straight times from the Colts’ 1.

With just over nine minutes to play and the Colts leading 20-13, Denver went for it on fourth down and 3 from the Colts’ 12. Orton couldn’t hook up with receiver Brandon Lloyd.

That play surely will be talk-radio fodder this week in the Rockies. McDaniels said he thought about going for a field goal, but stood by his decision.

“You kick a field goal and you’re down four and you go on,” McDaniels said. “You make a decision and you live with it. ... We’d probably do it again.”

Orton has a big day: Orton continued to show immense improvement. He threw for 476 yards, which was the second most passing yards in Denver history. Orton has 1,078 yards in three games.

Still, Orton, who completed 37 of 57 passes, had trouble in the red zone, completing 3 of 13. That’s where Denver last the game.

“We have to get better there,” Orton said.

Manning does enough to win: At times, Colts superstar Peyton Manning looked like the second-best quarterback on the field. But Manning made enough plays when it counted.

With Denver bottling up the Colts’ running game for much of the day, Manning was forced to win the game with his arm. No problem there.

After McDaniels’ failed gamble, Manning led the Colts on an impressive drive, including hitting receiver Austin Collie on a third-and-15 play to seal the game.

“We just didn’t make enough plays,” said Denver cornerback Champ Bailey, who played despite missing most of the practice week with a foot injury. “We just didn’t do enough.”
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you for posting this.

I wish every member here would read this, but I see that I'm the first one.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but it seems that the majority of the people have forgotten what the team has gone through this week.

I know, they're pros. They're suppose to put the pads on, their helmets on and leave their emotions/private lives in the locker room and not let anything affect their play on the field.

Yeah, right.

They're human.

I think they played very good against a team we were suppose to lose to. Yet, they get so much criticism.

It's all about winning, isn't it? Nothing else matters.

I'm one of the ones that are proud of how this team played yesterday.

Oh, and you all might think about the team today as they attend Kenny's funeral.
      Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

We all knew it was a rough week for the team but there will be those that will speak of how they are professional football players that get paid millions to do a job.

I get that, but what is lost is that they are humans that play a very emotional game week in and week out with their teammates that are considered family.

Football is more than just a game although that argument is presented lightly here.
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I feel bad that this keeps happening to us. Props to Denver's players for fighting against a tough team, at a tough time, with a friend lost.

I love Prater, he just strikes me as one of the classier guys in the league. There's something special about him.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
            Thank you for posting this.

I wish every member here would read this, but I see that I'm the first one.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but it seems that the majority of the people have forgotten what the team has gone through this week.

I know, they're pros. They're suppose to put the pads on, their helmets on and leave their emotions/private lives in the locker room and not let anything affect their play on the field.

Yeah, right.

They're human.

I think they played very good against a team we were suppose to lose to. Yet, they get so much criticism.

It's all about winning, isn't it? Nothing else matters.

I'm one of the ones that are proud of how this team played yesterday.

Oh, and you all might think about the team today as they attend Kenny's funeral.
            This indeed is a great post! I mentioned in another thread that our team is alot better than the credit that they receive. I'm proud of how well the Broncos battled against the Colts and never gave up considering the mistakes & lack of execution in the redzone.

The Broncos are going to open some eyes in a week or two and people are going to say WoW!

Thanks for sharing Shiz!
            sigpic

Comment

I think this is a forgotten fact, we don't know how much of an effect MiKinley's death had on the team. This game should be taken with a grain of salt because of all that was stacked against us. Yet still with everything we had a chance to tie late in the game.

Comment

great post shiz.

I feel myself choking up just READING this, so I cannot even begin to fathom what Prater and the Broncos are GOING thru, and I'm not even going to try.

Sept. 10, 2006, [email protected] 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, [email protected] 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, [email protected] 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Comment

Losses come in two forms, and not every loss is equal....

Lack of playmaking talent, where you are simply out played and dominated.

Lack of focus, where you are making plays, but make little mental errors, like the wrong route, not catching the ball when it's punted to you. Not being on the same page QB/WR as to what route is the correct one.

After a week like this team had to expect ZERO mental mistakes isn't going to happen, unfortunately this time the mental mistakes cost the game against excellent competition.

To cry that the sky is falling because this team went toe to toe with the defending AFC champs, and lost because of mental mistakes, is juvinille.

That was as tough as we've been with indy for a LONG time.

Comment

Imagine if george washington sat around crying about dead soldiers instead of fighting the british. we would all be speaking english right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
                      Imagine if george washington sat around crying about dead soldiers instead of fighting the british. we would all be speaking english right now.
                      I think this is a very insensitive post, but you are entitled to your opinion.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not. If it is a joke, I don't think it's funny.

Here's why I think it may be a 'joke':

Football = war?

Washington did not personally know all the soldiers.

And, I thought we were speaking English?
                      Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
                        WOW!

Aren't we speaking English right now?

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure how or why I missed this but I'm receiving this message:

Send your thoughts, prayers and condolences to the family, friends and teammates of Kenny McKinley.

We're sorry, but you have requested an invalid contest.

sigpic

Comment

What BM_69 said; I am getting the same message. Are we too late?
                            Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
                            sigpic

Comment

sure do ganna miss watching him in action:orton:
                              sigpic

John Elway the King of Denver
                              Official Kyle Orton Army Soldier #200

Comment

Working...
                              X