Comparing Joe Montana, Dan Marino, and John Elway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Joe Montana, Dan Marino, and John Elway

This is for all those that want to tell me about the old game compared to today's game. These are three of the best in there time and they played during same time span.

Joe Montana
    His completion percentage was amazing he was only once in 50% bracket the rest of his career he was up in the 60 and 70% bracket.
    His QB Rating at it's lowest was 80.7 and his High was a stunning 118.4%

John Elway
    His completion percentage was in the 50% most of his career. He did have 3 years where he hit 60%.
    QB Rating his low was 54.9 and his best 93 %

Dan Marino
    His completion percentage stayed right at 60 % through his career.
    He hit the 4000 plus mark 6 times in his career. The best being 5084.
    Dan held a qb rating his low 67.4 and his best at 108.9 %
    So much for our times being compared to old times. Joe and Dan seem to not have a time standard. Those stats would look good today. These were just put up because some really stirred the pot. So I looked it up.
    Mike O.

Who gives a hoot about stats...Elway was the winningest qb of all time and nobody was better in the 4th quarter and in the clutch. GOAT!!!

Comment

I'll let a Michael Wilbon quote during a Redskins Q&A answer for me:
      Originally posted by Chantilly, Virginia
      While many Redskin fans are worried about McNabb's age, they should keep in mind that Shanahan took over the Broncos when Elway was one year older than McNabb and we all know how that ended. Do you think the Shanahan/McNabb duo could work the same magic with the Redskins as Shanahan/Elway did with the Broncos?
      Originally posted by Michael Wilbon
      Hold your horses there, Big Fella. Nobody likes Donovan more than I do, but John Elway (for my money) is the Greatest QB in the History of the NFL. Of all-time. Forever and ever. So, I don't have those expectations. Elway was in three Super Bowls before Shanahan showed up in Denver. Elway led teams to the Super Bowl that had essentially NOBODY you would remember. Of course, that's always the goal and I like your note about McNabb's age relative to Elway's ... and it's worth pointing out they both had some injuries along the way ... But I'm not drawing that comparison. No way.

Comment

Dan Marino is the best QB I ever saw.

Comment

Peyton Manning is the best QB I've ever seen, and I've seen them all in their prime.

Comment

Originally posted by TheQBGuru View Post
            Dan Marino is the best QB I ever saw.
            I agree! If Marino just had a running game, he would have multiple championships.
            sigpic

Comment

Elway was the best to ever play the game. Give him Jerry Rice or the "Mark" brothers and he would have owned every record in the books! He had average talent to work with until Shanny came to Denver. Plus he had to deal with Reeves' let's run the ball for 3 quarters and get down by 14 before we start throwing the ball attitude!

Elway=GOAT
              sigpic

Comment

elway did it by himself for most of his career
                sigpic

Comment

To the OP you simply just don't understand and can not understand what Elway was. Stats NEVER and I mean NEVER tell the whole story, to understand how good Elway was you had to be there for the entire ride, you can not in no way understand why Elway was the greatest ever unless you were there. If you were there the only conclusion I can come to is you are just not that intellegent when it comes to football.

You can in no way compare Orton to Elway two completely different types of football players they are not even close no way no how. Even if Orton goes on to win 2 or even more than 2 Super Bowls he still could not be compared to Elway. Elway was in a class of his own, I don't know how to make you understand what made Elway, Elway, the guy was simply special.

Another thing I don't understand is how you can even think you can get away with comparing anyone to Elway on a Denver Broncos forum you really don't understand do you.
                  Last edited by nickmeyer; 10-05-2010, 03:15 PM.
                  sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Dan Marino, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, etc. are all better passers than Elway.

Elway is a better leader and a better football player than all of them.

I would literally take John Elway over any other football player regardless of position that is currently or has ever been in the league, and that's not just because I'm a Denver fan.

Comment

Originally posted by exultu View Post
                      This is for all those that want to tell me about the old game compared to today's game. These are three of the best in there time and they played during same time span.

Joe Montana
                      His completion percentage was amazing he was only once in 50% bracket the rest of his career he was up in the 60 and 70% bracket.
                      His QB Rating at it's lowest was 80.7 and his High was a stunning 118.4%

John Elway
                      His completion percentage was in the 50% most of his career. He did have 3 years where he hit 60%.
                      QB Rating his low was 54.9 and his best 93 %

Dan Marino
                      His completion percentage stayed right at 60 % through his career.
                      He hit the 4000 plus mark 6 times in his career. The best being 5084.
                      Dan held a qb rating his low 67.4 and his best at 108.9 %
                      So much for our times being compared to old times. Joe and Dan seem to not have a time standard. Those stats would look good today. These were just put up because some really stirred the pot. So I looked it up.
                      To me , Montana WAS the greatest, cause he did what EVERY QB who has ever played the game is supposed to want more then anything else, win those Rings, but Elway was a close second, and he to me, was the BEST pure, ALL AROUND QB/Athlete of all time!!!
                      sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
                        To me , Montana WAS the greatest, cause he did what EVERY QB who has ever played the game is supposed to want more then anything else, win those Rings, but Elway was a close second, and he to me, was the BEST pure, ALL AROUND QB/Athlete of all time!!!
                        BLASPHEMY, how dare you say that.

Montana is and will always be hated here for what he did to the Broncos
                        sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by martz11 View Post
                          Who gives a hoot about stats...Elway was the winningest qb of all time and nobody was better in the 4th quarter and in the clutch. GOAT!!!
                          You know what being in denial only helps your cause no else's.:orton:
                          Mike O.

Comment

The Moral of the Story is that John Elway is the best.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                              Dan Marino, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, etc. are all better passers than Elway.

Elway is a better leader and a better football player than all of them.

I would literally take John Elway over any other football player regardless of position that is currently or has ever been in the league, and that's not just because I'm a Denver fan.
                              The Best pure Athlete to play football ever was Walter Payton. He could Run, Pass, Block, and even kick when asked. Could Elway have done all that I don't think so.:orton:
                              Mike O.

Comment

Working...
                              X