Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMO if we are going to make the postseason, our Special Teams has got to play better.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IMO if we are going to make the postseason, our Special Teams has got to play better.

    This seems like its a problem every season. Year in and out for whatever reason we always either get beat, or let teams back into games with big plays given up by our special teams. It was that way when Shanny was here and the trend seems to be continuing with McDaniels.

    Am I way off base here or is the Special Teams play something that seriously needs to be addressed??

    I think its the 2nd biggest problem we have ( the 1st being our run blocking)


    What are your thoughts?
    sigpic

  • #2
    agreed, they already costed us the first game...ST are a way underrated part of the game, definitly need to improve here, but FREAKIN take Jones off the active 43, put Thompson on it and let him return kicks, I know Thomas is a beast at it, cuz he's huge and fast as hell, so USE HIM AT WR MORE damnit!...

    Thompson needs to take care of return duties...and the coverage needs to just change everything cuz they suck

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
      This seems like its a problem every season. Year in and out for whatever reason we always either get beat, or let teams back into games with big plays given up by our special teams. It was that way when Shanny was here and the trend seems to be continuing with McDaniels.

      Am I way off base here or is the Special Teams play something that seriously needs to be addressed??

      I think its the 2nd biggest problem we have ( the 1st being our run blocking)


      What are your thoughts?
      I agree 110%. Luckily we were able to over come it, but that KO return by Mariani could have cost us the game. ALMOST cost us the game.

      The biggest issue I see is that we aren't staying in our lanes. We are pursing the ballcarrier, and once one block gets picked up when you make that mistake, it could spring the returner in a FLASH.

      Show some discipline special teams, stay in your lanes.

      On the positive side, we've had two unexpected turnovers thanks to our special teams.
      sigpic

      Hooray, beer!

      Comment


      • #4
        I totally agree with this. I think we are really missing Josh Barrett also.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
          I agree 110%. Luckily we were able to over come it, but that KO return by Mariani could have cost us the game. ALMOST cost us the game.

          The biggest issue I see is that we aren't staying in our lanes. We are pursing the ballcarrier, and once one block gets picked up when you make that mistake, it could spring the returner in a FLASH.

          Show some discipline special teams, stay in your lanes.

          On the positive side, we've had two unexpected turnovers thanks to our special teams.
          Good points Cory.

          I am just tired of seeing our Defense play well enough to win and having our ST's give up Kickoff or Punt returns for TD's. It has already happened twice in 4 games so far this year, and last season in Baltimore the 2nd half opening kickoff that was taken back to the house on us was hands down what blew the game wide open for the Ravens.

          I hope we can find a way to pull it together.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Ya I completely agree. We already lost one game because of it and it could have costed us another one. If we have another return for a TD against us I think our special teams coach will be in the unemployment line right behind John Bonamego.
            sigpic


            @BlueNOrangeFTW

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
              Ya I completely agree. We already lost one game because of it and it could have costed us another one. If we have another return for a TD against us I think our special teams coach will be in the unemployment line right behind John Bonamego.
              And rightfully so........
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree 100%. We need to stop giving up big runs and good field posision to the other team.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
                  This seems like its a problem every season. Year in and out for whatever reason we always either get beat, or let teams back into games with big plays given up by our special teams. It was that way when Shanny was here and the trend seems to be continuing with McDaniels.

                  Am I way off base here or is the Special Teams play something that seriously needs to be addressed??

                  I think its the 2nd biggest problem we have ( the 1st being our run blocking)


                  What are your thoughts?
                  Da? Really? News to me.

                  I do not mean to be rude here, but pointing out that "the sky is gray today" is not news to all the rest of us.

                  What do I think? I'm curious how your going to back up the statement; "It was that way when Shanny was here."

                  I'm a huge fan of prioritizing Special Teams. However, during a "rebuilding" first protect your QuarterBack! Then build your Defence. Work on your front line's run blocking and skilled positions. Then tweak your special teams. Rome was not built in a day.
                  Last edited by kevlar441; 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM.
                  "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kevlar441 View Post
                    Da? Really? News to me.

                    I do not mean to be rude here, but pointing out that "the sky is gray today" is not news to all the rest of us.

                    What do I think? I'm curious how your going to back up the statement; "It was that way when Shanny was here."


                    I don't really understand what point you are trying to make. What is so obvious about my post that it would cause you to come at me the way you just did??

                    I made the thread because nobody seemed to be bringing up how bad our Special Teams is and has been.

                    I don't need to "back up my statement" about when Shanny was here. If you watched the same games I did then you would know that our Special Teams was just as horrible if not worse when Shannahan was coach.


                    Did I kick your dog recently or something??

                    If you think what I posted is so blatenly obvious then why isn't it being discussed?

                    Posts like the one you just made are completely unecessary, good grief dude.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, I think our ST needs work, as does our run game (obviously).....but I refuse to talke about how fixing these items will get us into the playoffs until we are closer to actually making the playoffs.....been burned too many times with this team the last few years, feeling a little jaded....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 4th Amigo View Post
                        Yes, I think our ST needs work, as does our run game (obviously).....but I refuse to talke about how fixing these items will get us into the playoffs until we are closer to actually making the playoffs.....been burned too many times with this team the last few years, feeling a little jaded....
                        Fair enough, I fully understand your point of view.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hopefully once Woodyard and Larsen come back our special teams will improve some more

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            Hopefully once Woodyard and Larsen come back our special teams will improve some more
                            Absolutely, having those two back will make a big difference.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think New England demonstrated to us on Monday night against Miami that special teams can most definitely win you a ball game.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X