Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did McD blow it on Turner and Rick Dennison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The zone blocking system we had spoiled us. It was great while it lasted, but nothing lasts forever. It was time to make changes, and now we are headed in a new direction. McD wants to do things differently, and that's just the way it is. I don't see any sense in doing this half way, and it's pretty clear to me that McD feels the same way. The Broncos were a run heavy team back then anyways. They are all pass now. I really don't think McDaniels cares if he can run the ball or not. As long as he does it every now and then to keep the defense honest.

Comment

I don't think that we blew it.... It isn't the system. The system works. It is the parts that we have trying to make it work that are failing it. Walton, Beadles, and Daniels arent NFL quality players. Harris's season is one game old, and Clady is no where near 100%. I guess you have to put some of the blame on McD for being so transparent in his play calling.... But not for cleaning house in the coaching staff. what is he supposed to do? He didn't fire the coaches he let them go pursue other opportunities... Not like he could tie them up to a chair and not let them leave
      Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
        I don't think that we blew it.... It isn't the system. The system works. It is the parts that we have trying to make it work that are failing it. Walton, Beadles, and Daniels arent NFL quality players. Harris's season is one game old, and Clady is no where near 100%. I guess you have to put some of the blame on McD for being so transparent in his play calling.... But not for cleaning house in the coaching staff. what is he supposed to do? He didn't fire the coaches he let them go pursue other opportunities... Not like he could tie them up to a chair and not let them leave
        The ZBS was great between the 20's, but Shanahan's offense had problems scoring in the Red Zone as well over the last few seasons he was here.

The bottom line is the ZBS is more less a gimmick type system. It's not about physically handling the man in front of you, it's about creating a seam in the run lanes, and teams have gotten better at defending that over the years.

So while Shanahan's run numbers always looked good on paper, it was a mirage, because the Broncos had trouble running to score.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
          The ZBS was great between the 20's, but Shanahan's offense had problems scoring in the Red Zone as well over the last few seasons he was here.

The bottom line is the ZBS is more less a gimmick type system. It's not about physically handling the man in front of you, it's about creating a seam in the run lanes, and teams have gotten better at defending that over the years.

So while Shanahan's run numbers always looked good on paper, it was a mirage, because the Broncos had trouble running to score.
          I disagree. It wasn't a mirage. A yard is a yard. Plus, we scored when Pittman or Hillis played...Or Mike Anderson for that matter.

The problem wasn't the system, it was the turnover in the OL, see my post above, along with lack of high talent players. Losing 6 RBs Shanny's last year didn't help. And that OL wasactually younger than this one. Clady and Harris playing in their first years and Kuper in his second. That OL just needed a good LG and time to mature and gel.

Zimmerman and Schlereth didn't have trouble getting RBs into the endzone.

Plus, running between the 20s is better than not running between the 20s, which is what we have now.

And when was the last time we saw a back break a big TD run under mcd? Those are also worth 6 points.

Again, the zone blocking system is why we won half of our games the last three years. Blame bad drafts, FAs, etc. but not the stuff we got right.

Blame the 5.0 ypc we gave up on D under Shanny, not the 4.8 average we had running the ball. That isn't why we lost.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post

With all due respect, I would take that ANY day over what we've got going now. We simply cannot run the ball in any situation. The Qb sneak was our best running play last week!

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
              Walton, Beadles, and Daniels arent NFL quality players.
              ...yet?

that's a bit of a premature statement, with both walton and beadles being 23-year-old rookies, and daniels is 25

Comment

Originally posted by 91bronco View Post
                With all due respect, I would take that ANY day over what we've got going now. We simply cannot run the ball in any situation. The Qb sneak was our best running play last week!
                Have to agree. I do believe things can only get better (because the can't get any worse) over time. However, I found this article and feel it might be a great read for those that what to enlighten themselves, or at least refresh their memories, on how Mike Shanahan's reliance on Zone Blocking actually fared over the course of his high scoring 14 year career here.

http://iqfb.com/team-facts/mike-shan...running-backs/

For those too lazy to actually read this short article, you should at least read this:

"Through a twelve year stretch, Mike Shanahan and the Denver Broncos had eleven thousand yard rushing seasons produced by six different running backs, none of whom were first round draft picks or big name free agent signings. A pretty amazing amount of production from a wide variety of players playing one position for one team."

This is what was in place when Josh took over.
                "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

Working...
                X