Good job Broncos (4-1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good job Broncos (4-1)

Great job so far by Denver this season. They have a very good defense who can make stops. We have played the run very well after week 1, and teams haven't been able to pass on us really at all either.

On offense or guys make plays when we need them the most in the 4th quarter, and they make enough plays early to either keep us in it or take the lead. Watts made an unbelievable catch in the 4th, Lelie came up big in the 2nd half, and Droughns had 53 yards rushing in the 4th.

Our O-Line played good, as they usually do. It also helps when you have got a back who wont go down easily in there like Droughns.

Our offense is really geared to take advantages of the opponents weaknesses. We ran on Kansas City, Passed on San Diego, had a balanced attack against Tampa, and we ran on Carolina. Great game planning on Shanahan's part. Its hard to win in the NFL when you dont play to your opponent's weaknesses. If you have a set way of doing things no matter who you play, you are gonna struggle, as is the case in Washington DC.

The most impressive part of the win yesterday was the fact that the Broncos overcame turnovers and a great pass defense (Carolina) to get the win.

It wasnt a flawless victory, one serious problem this team has is converting red zone trips into touchdowns. They have had problems doing this all year, and it almost cost them again yesterday. In all honesty, the score should have been 14-0 in the first quarter if Champ and Rod dont drop those passes when they were both wide open.

Good job so far Broncos, 4-1 and sitting on top of the division.
    The Denver Broncos - 6 Time AFC Champions ('77, '86, '87, '89, '97, '98)

2 Time NFL Champions ('97, '98)

Stomping on the Competition since 1960.

Oh yea i forgot to mention how well DJ Williams, Al Wilson and our defensive line played yesterday. Our whole secondary also played pretty well.

Comment

I'm most impressed because we are winning the close games, Miami, Indy and San Diego in 2002 and New England and KC last year were all heartbreakers.

The fact that we are 4-1 and have not played outstanding fotball (yet), hopefully we can settle our issues on the OL and force some turnovers, we can make a strong push late in the season.

Just my $.02

Comment

We still need to get better in some aspects of the game. Force turnovers on D convert better on 3rd downs and some other things but its started off well

Comment

Room for improvement, but sitting at 4-1 still feels nice when you know you haven't played up to your potential yet. Thankfully our running game received a spark this week that was much needed. Go RD and o-line!
          Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

These close games we are winning this year are games we would have lost last year, IMO.

Our defense is solid and consistent.

Our offense is dominating some good defenses statistically. We have strong talent passing and running.

Just think, if we eliminate the mistakes, start winning the turnover battles, this can be one VERY dangerous team...

GO BRONCOS!!

Comment

Our main issue at this time is WE MUST GET BETTER IN THE RED ZONE.

We need touchdowns not field goals, so far our defense has kept us in games, but we must get some touchdowns instead of field goals otherwise we will be losing some real close games.
              Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever

We need touchdowns not field goals, so far our defense has kept us in games, but we must get some touchdowns instead of field goals otherwise we will be losing some real close games.
                excellent point

Comment

i agree. i would like to say something about the play calling yesterday though. it didn't kill us, so i guess that's why there aren't threads about it, but i saw what i thought were 2 bad play calls.

(1) we passed on 3rd and 1 early on. now this isn't really that bad. but i still think that you've got to run it in that situation, especially in light of the game droughns was having. however, i understand the reasoning and so perhaps i shouldn't even include this.

(2) the decision to pass on 4rth and goal from the 1, while we are up by 3 and there are 20 minutes left. if you ranked the possible decisions in this situtation (FG, run, pass, fake) in order of least risky to most risky the decision to pass was the second most risky possible (second to the fake FG). IMO there was just no reason to take a risk here. 3 points can be huge and there was plenty of time left to get more. there is no reason to risk getting nothing when you can go up by 6 this early on.
                  i'm not saying this b/c it was run back either; even a FG could be blocked and run back. the more realistic fear was turning it over on downs. however, with a lead of 3 and lots of time left, IMO it is much better to get 3 more points than to give them bad field position and hope to take over.
                  Last edited by mattos; 10-11-2004, 08:14 AM.
                  sigpic
                  go broncos
                  share the sidewalk
                  liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Originally posted by mattos
                    i agree. i would like to say something about the play calling yesterday though. it didn't kill us, so i guess that's why there aren't threads about it, but i saw what i thought were 2 bad play calls.

(2) the decision to pass on 4rth and goal from the 1, while we are up by 3 and there are 20 minutes left. if you ranked the possible decisions in this situtation (FG, run, pass, fake) in order of least risky to most risky the decision to pass was the second most risky possible (second to the fake FG). IMO there was just no reason to take a risk here. 3 points can be huge and there was plenty of time left to get more. there is no reason to risk getting nothing when you can go up by 6 this early on.
                    i'm not saying this b/c it was run back either; even a FG could be blocked and run back. the more realistic fear was turning it over on downs. however, with a lead of 3 and lots of time left, IMO it is much better to get 3 more points than to give them bad field position and hope to take over.

I totally agree. You have to just let Droughns take it in on 4th down. If they can stop him, then they deserve to get the ball back on the half yard line. Shanny goofed because he didnt realize that Carolina has seen him run that bootleg play all season so they were waiting for it on 4th down. That was a disaster from the second it was called.

A pass is much riskier in that situation, and the worst possible scenario happened, that is a defender taking it 100+ yards the other way. The good thing about that was they overcame it and got the victory. Kansas City sure wasnt able to do the same against Houston after a similar play.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever

Amen to that! We are 5 out of 16 in trips to the red zone. That's all of 33% TD conversion ratio when inside the 20!

I look at the offense this way...
                      We've got all of Rod and Plummer returning from last year. This offense needs time to gel and then we'll see some amazing things from them.

So long as Plummer stops the bone-head plays. He doesn't have to win the games anymore. Take the incomplete or sack and start the opposing offense inside their 10 rather than risk an INT.

Comment

i think the main reason we haven't been scoring touchdowns is cuz we didn't have a power running back. that meant we weren't going to get red zone touchdowns unless we passed for them and passing is much harder in the red zone. i think droughns will solve our red zone troubles (i'm 100% sure he would have scored on that fourth down play if shanahan called a run, he was making steady progress on downs 1-3)

Comment

You have to just let Droughns take it in on 4th down. If they can stop him, then they deserve to get the ball back on the half yard line.
                          When you have a dominating defense and a mediocre offense, and let's face it that's exactly what we have this year, then you play to your strengths!

Did Carolina give ANY indication that they could go 99 yards to score the winning TD against our D? Merely to ask the question is to answer it: NO!

We should have run the ball and if it failed, then they could try to dig themselves out of a deep hole with the defense stacked with 8-9 men in the box to stop the run. We'd probably have gotten the ball back on the 40 or better. That team was NO-Way going to march the length of the field against us to punch it in.
                          sigpic

Comment

i think once again our defense won the game, and the offensive play calling almost lost the game again. granted the o line did block for the run a whole lot better, and we did run plays to soften up the run defense and overall better play calling, but!!! the red zone calling needs some help.

what im refering to is the int in the endzone. that rollout play has been used alot and they didnt buy it on the 3rd down why would they buy it on 4th? a couple of runs would or should have scored.

when we had TD that RO worked alot cause TD could and would run it in now teams are expecting it and it isnt as effective without a rb threat. also now heres my beef, 3rd qrt 4rth down up by three, MIKE kick the damn field goal, put us up by six, lets the defense stop them and if we get more points great. that play put us in a position to have to score to win
                            sigpic
                            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                            X