Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense=Turnovers? Not wut you think

Hey
    You know what guys? Im sick of reading this crap about having to make turnovers, look how often we have been stopping guys, if were forcing teams into third downs so often, that makes them have to make plays, thus givin us the chances to key on theyre more rash hafta make it type decisions. I know sure we havent had that many turnovers, but if we force four an out.......then we still get the ball back. Sure it doesnt give us the same type of momentum, but we still have the ball. If our D is helping us win games like the way it is, and if its as consistant as it is, then i think it is a great defense, so stop having all these thoughts like were not great yet. A great defense is a consistant defense that stops big plays, we been doing that. Sure we had our cajunas in the pliers a couple of times on stupid plays like the tampa game, but we still have been winning, and were winnin lower scoring games like the Caro. game......we werent able to do that last year, so stop complaining and just be happy for once. Geez
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

I agree, i would rather have a defense play smart fundamental ball that forces punts, then an aggresive one that goes for TO's and gets burned!

Comment

Originally posted by OBF
      I agree, i would rather have a defense play smart fundamental ball that forces punts, then an aggresive one that goes for TO's and gets burned!
      Ravens?
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Re: Defense=Turnovers? Not wut you think

Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
        Hey
        You know what guys? Im sick of reading this crap about having to make turnovers, look how often we have been stopping guys, if were forcing teams into third downs so often, that makes them have to make plays, thus givin us the chances to key on theyre more rash hafta make it type decisions. I know sure we havent had that many turnovers, but if we force four an out.......then we still get the ball back. Sure it doesnt give us the same type of momentum, but we still have the ball. If our D is helping us win games like the way it is, and if its as consistant as it is, then i think it is a great defense, so stop having all these thoughts like were not great yet. A great defense is a consistant defense that stops big plays, we been doing that. Sure we had our cajunas in the pliers a couple of times on stupid plays like the tampa game, but we still have been winning, and were winnin lower scoring games like the Caro. game......we werent able to do that last year, so stop complaining and just be happy for once. Geez

how can you say that? the offense is struggling and it would be a little bit easier for them if once in a while a fumble recovery or a interception return would aleviate some of the offensive struggles. whether scoring a defensive TD or putting the offense in better field position turnovers are needed especially down the road as the season goes along. when you play good defensive teams and both offenses are stymied the difference in the game is usually turnovers and field positions. just because denver's defense stops other teams how long do they want to be on the field if just going back and forth and the offense aint doin jack.
        Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Re: Re: Defense=Turnovers? Not wut you think

Originally posted by bklynbronco
          how can you say that? the offense is struggling and it would be a little bit easier for them if once in a while a fumble recovery or a interception return would aleviate some of the offensive struggles. whether scoring a defensive TD or putting the offense in better field position turnovers are needed especially down the road as the season goes along. when you play good defensive teams and both offenses are stymied the difference in the game is usually turnovers and field positions. just because denver's defense stops other teams how long do they want to be on the field if just going back and forth and the offense aint doin jack.
          Chicken and the egg argument, and I'll take the opposite side:

We have been dominating teams in the stats, but not on the scoreboard. Mainly, our red zone production isn't as good as it should be. If we fix that, the scoreboard then reflects the statistical domination. Our opponents will then be forced to be more aggresive, allowing our defense greater chances for getting turnovers.

Comment

Field position, momentum, many other factors. If you read along this board you will see people questioning field position. 3 and outs are fine but in turn you are normally giving up at least 40 yards in field position, a turnover or 2 a game creates a huge change in that battle. I think if the Broncos start scoring in the red zone (more than 3 points) you will see us create more turnovers.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Defense=Turnovers? Not wut you think

Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
              Chicken and the egg argument, and I'll take the opposite side:

We have been dominating teams in the stats, but not on the scoreboard. Mainly, our red zone production isn't as good as it should be. If we fix that, the scoreboard then reflects the statistical domination. Our opponents will then be forced to be more aggresive, allowing our defense greater chances for getting turnovers.

the defense is awesome but with ineffective offense you putting a lot on the defense. denver has eleven weeks to go you can't rely every week on the defense to just stop the other team. sometimes the defense has to create turnovers to change field position cause the offense can't move the ball or when you got a team by the throat that one turnover can be the knockout blow. Every game shouldn't have to come down to last drive or the last two minutes.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Defense=Turnovers? Not wut you think

Originally posted by bklynbronco
                Every game shouldn't have to come down to last drive or the last two minutes.
                Agreed, and if our red zone production was better, those games wouldn't have come down to the last drive or last two minutes.

Chicken and the egg...

Comment

Let's face it, we will no longer be able to rely on the offense to win close games for us. At some point, when we play the elite teams of the league (Patriots, Indy, Eagles, etc.) we will need turnovers to win those games. That is how the Patriots, Bucs and Ravens have done it over the past few years. Other teams that have won the SuperBowl have won with explosive offenses (Rams, Broncos). We do not have that anymore.

It all starts with the pressure on the QB. Currently, it seems like the opposing quarterback has a perfect pocket to throw from. Sacks would be nice, but we need more pressure, hurries. It does not seem like our front four can get any pressure, so we will need to bring blitz packages. Kennoy seems to have a nose for forcing fumbles, bring him on the blitz. Remember guys, that was part of the rationale to acquire Champ Bailey - we would not need a safety over the top of him.

Comment

How can we complain that our defense is playing so well? We are shutting dow the opposing offense. The turnovers will happen. Our offense needs to put pressure on THEIR offense by SCORIGN points. WHen we don't score, its easy for the other team to always be in the game, even though our defense shuts them down. Just like Carolina. We shut them down... we drove into their redzone, twice in a row....but walked away with only 6 points. Our offense then gets pinned back in their own endzone, punts and gves their offense good field position. BAM, our offense is behind. If we could have scored on those two first redzone trips.... we would hve been in the driving seat. But we were again fallign behind early because we ahve redzone problems.

Comment

It's true that the Broncos offense needs to step it up when it comes to executing in the red zone. If they can do that I believe you'll see the defense shine. The point is if you are up 14 pts or more on the other team you start making them turn to the passing game. It just so happens this is when Denvers D will really shine IMO (ie more turnovers and more sacks).

Comment

I also beleive that its far more important for our offense to start executing in the red zone with greater efficiency. Sure turnovers are good.. But I think the defense has been doing an incredible job so far and it would look even more brilliant if the offense would get touchdowns more often while they are in the red zone.. The lack of red zone execution has created close games till the end such as the Carolina game. You need to have a greater efficiency at executing in the red zone to be able to take full advantage of the things that turnovers bring such as better field position, if they dont result in a turnover return for a TD that is. So in the end, in my opinion the bigger problem that this team has at the moment is our offense.. If the offense gets better, then the need for turnovers wont appear to be as great as it is now.

Until the offense fixes its red zone problems, I think its for the best for our defense to play as conservative as possible.. Due to the current state of our offense, we cannot risk giving up big plays that could result from playing a more agressive style of defense because we cant trust our offense to bail us out.

www.avalancheboard.com/wbb2

Comment

this in the case

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                          How can we complain that our defense is playing so well? We are shutting dow the opposing offense. The turnovers will happen. Our offense needs to put pressure on THEIR offense by SCORIGN points. WHen we don't score, its easy for the other team to always be in the game, even though our defense shuts them down. Just like Carolina. We shut them down... we drove into their redzone, twice in a row....but walked away with only 6 points. Our offense then gets pinned back in their own endzone, punts and gves their offense good field position. BAM, our offense is behind. If we could have scored on those two first redzone trips.... we would hve been in the driving seat. But we were again fallign behind early because we ahve redzone problems.

Denver hasn't even played the best defenses in the league, what happens when the offense gets really bogged down. field position and other methods of scoring have to come into play. we all know the defense is definitely keeping the broncos in the game and as the offense gets better they will take the pressure off the defense we all know that but I tell you what most teams that have a good turnover ratio usually go far in the playoffs. not all but most. I think if the offense wasn't stuck on backward during certain parts of the game i.e.(2nd qt against Carolina) the need for turnovers wouldn't be as necessary. You might be right ravage but I still think the defense has to come up with a turnover to at least let the offense work with a shorter field.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Defense=Turnovers? Not wut you think

Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
                            Chicken and the egg argument
                            Fits it perfectly.

Comment

I'm with bklynbronco. I think turnovers are very important in winning games and making it deep into the playoffs. We got lucky to beat the Panthers after turning it over twice and not forcing one. I'd be willing to bet good money we don't make it to the superbowl without winning the turnover battle.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
                              Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                              Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
                              Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X