No announcement yet.

Team needs for the 2k5 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-line. We have a bunch of oldies on their last legs, it typically takes 2 years to develop a lineman. We blew it last draft by passing on Wilfork, who is lighting it up for the Pats, so we must pick a playmaker on the D-line this coming draft. Id also say O-line is a need as well, our interior players are getting up there in age and its time to develop a new center/guard.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda/sorta agree (?). I know you feel that we needed a top DT in the draft, but I'm not yet convinced. DJ looks, at this point, like he has pro bowl potential. The problem, as I see it, is that you have to choose from what you have to work with in a draft. If every selection were truly obvious and straight forward, it would be simple to select and to know who should be selected--but it's not that way. There are not that many teams that have been more successful than the broncos in drafting folks who have made it in the NFL (somewhere). In addition, drafts seem to have different strengths from year-to-year. Could well be the case that there are few quality DLs available at the draft positions where the broncos are selecting.

Despite the wordiness, if a good to decent DL is available to the broncos in the first couple rounds--I hope they select him!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
      D-line. We have a bunch of oldies on their last legs, it typically takes 2 years to develop a lineman. We blew it last draft by passing on Wilfork, who is lighting it up for the Pats, so we must pick a playmaker on the D-line this coming draft. Id also say O-line is a need as well, our interior players are getting up there in age and its time to develop a new center/guard.
      I have some what agreed with you on the Wilfork thing. But DJ is handling business. He is playing better than Wilfork. Even if you disagree with that, you cant argue with the success of the D

Comment

Hey #1 fu** fan...check out my posts...it is time for ol QG to hit the bench baby...I've been saying this for 4 weeks, and I'll say it again..."Griffins Got to GO!" You and Griff my look good together..you sound like such a queer...I'm Griffin's #1 fan...what a joke!!! Do yourself a favor and check my posts, maybe I can win you over!!!
        why should he listen to someone who sounds as unintelligent as you in this post?

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
          We have fine options at PR, and one of the best KR. We need a run stuffing DT.
          Only good option at pr is rod smith, and thats not an option, plus if droughns is a starter now then you cant use him on kr either.
          "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

We blew it last draft by passing on Wilfork,

Blew it?? How so? We lost TWO of our THREE startign LB's.. and picked a STUD to go along with AL Wilson... we did NOT BLOW anything. Our pick was SOLID.. and the guys that are playing at the DL now are doig great. The last thing we did was BLOW the pick when we are starting what could be the NFL Defensive Rookie of the year!

Comment

We need some young linemen. Defensive and Offensive. We're gettin a little old on both sides and while we're getting good production now we need to think about the future and thats what the draft is for.

Of course a bigger need might very well present itself before the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

Blew it?? How so? We lost TWO of our THREE startign LB's.. and picked a STUD to go along with AL Wilson... we did NOT BLOW anything. Our pick was SOLID.. and the guys that are playing at the DL now are doig great. The last thing we did was BLOW the pick when we are starting what could be the NFL Defensive Rookie of the year!
                Exactly,,,Gr8 post

Comment

I really don't think our defense needs much more work right now, unless Lynch is thinking about retiring at the end of the year. If we go for defense, definitely pick somebody on the line; I would say DT (we definitely don't need anybody at left end). Our linebacker corps are awesome (Wilson and Williams), as is our secondary (Lynch and Bailey). Maybe also grab a FS trainee for Lynch.

I think offense needs to be more of a priority. Putzier is doing well, but we need to have a solid presence there (granted, he is trying to fill Sharpe's BIG shoes), and Carswell is aging, so definitely look into a TE. At the very least, it gives us some options in the offseason. If one of our many HBs steps up and does well this year, I don't think we will necessarily need another one. Go for a receiver to make sure we have a good third receiver once Smith leaves. I might also look at getting somebody for the line. Nalen still has several years ahead of him, more than likely, but he is the oldest on our OL. We could pick up a prospect or two that he could start mentoring for center.

So here's my picks for the Draft: TE, WR, DT, FS, C
                  Last edited by elwaymvp; 10-12-2004, 11:02 PM.
                  Thanks for the memories, John. We will always remember you.

You look great in Canton! Perhaps I'll get to see you some day...

Comment

Re: Re: Team needs for the 2k5 Draft

Originally posted by Jax Nickols
                    Hey #1 fu** fan...check out my posts...it is time for ol QG to hit the bench baby...I've been saying this for 4 weeks, and I'll say it again..."Griffins Got to GO!" You and Griff my look good together..you sound like such a queer...I'm Griffin's #1 fan...what a joke!!! Do yourself a favor and check my posts, maybe I can win you over!!!
                    You such and ignorant a**hole. Rueben has one game and now your bent over and taking where the sun doesn't shine. You must be a closet **** expressing how you feel about Quentin. I bet during the KC you were licking his nuts. Quentin Griffin will be alright whether any of you hater like it or not. Oh and 1 more thing he will be in Denver still playing RB

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

Ravage,

You need to understand the context in what Im saying. Denver had a chance to pick the very best DT in the entire draft (from Miami, no less, which means its a sure thing). Denver is such a quality team that they will never again in the foreseeable future have the chance to select the best lineman in an entire draft.
                      To me...Id assign that opportunity as a 10.

DJ Williams is looking fantastic. The pick wasnt a waste in terms of talent, hes a great looking LB. What I am saying is that we have young talented LBs on the roster already in Sykes and Pierce. I believe the gap between the stats Pierce or Sykes could put up at OLB and the stats DJ will put up would not be a massive discrepency. Yes, DJ is better, but he's not night and day better. Remember, Pierce was an early 2nd round pick the year before, so its not like we dont have a very talented and young LB developing. The need was not that great to draft a LB. Spragan and Sykes played fine in last years 4th ranked defense the entire year and Pierce and Chuckwarh (sp?) would have provided adequate depth in case of an injury.

What I am saying is that WIlfork is night and day better then any defensive tackle we have on the roster, and has the talent to have been the best ever on a Bronco roster. Right now, Denver has a very solid DT in Pope and a wave tackle in Fetafehi, along with whatever Dorsett Davis can contribute if he can stay healthy. Those are our young players for the future. While Luther Elliss and Ellis Johnson have talent, they are both over 30, are injured more often then not and contemplate retiring every year. There is no future there. Wilfork would have made a bigger impact at a position with no youth and little depth and talent, then DJ is going to make at a position that had plenty of youth and plenty of depth and talent.

That is my point and why I say we blew the pick.

And, right now, Wilfork is outperforming DJ. You have to take into consideration he is playing in a 3-4 being the only DT on the field. He is in charge of clogging blockers and destroying two running lanes on each play. Somehow the man still makes a ton of tackles with blockers all over him and manages to sack the QB. If he was in a 4-3, his stats would be ridiculous.

As of now at the quartermark:

DJ is on pace for 93 tackles, 3 sacks, and 3 passes defensed.

Wilfork is on pace for 56 tackles, 8 sacks, and 4 passes defensed as a frickin nose tackle. Thats unheard of, especially for a rookie.
                      Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 10-13-2004, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Obviously, it's way too early to predict who or what the broncos wil want/need when the draft rolls around. Who knows what players might decide to retire before then, or what players might face serious injuries.
                        That being said, if the draft were held today, I think we would have to go with a DT or an OL, depending on what player is available when we draft....I think we need a DT first, but if there's an OL with tremendous talent at our pick, you gotta pick him up.
                        Also, if there's a good playmaking TE available in the second or third round, I'd like to see that. (I was hoping we'd pick up a TE this past draft.)

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I think it's too early to talk about the 2005 draft...good lord, didn't we have a long enough off season....we're 4-1 baby and we're talking about stinkin [email protected]##???

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                          2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

I dont see any reason to draft a TE at all, not sure why so many are going that route. We just cut a ton of TEs, its obvious the team is thrilled with the personel they have.

Comment

TE
                              WR- BRAYLON EDWARDS BEEOTCHES!!!!
                              Safety- ERNEST SHAZOR!!!!!!!
                              Yup...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X