Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you could snap your fingers and start over with the old 2008 crew would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you could snap your fingers and start over with the old 2008 crew would you?

I would in a heartbeat. I think shanahan would have gotten the defense right one of these years.

shanahan was the best at picking offensive talent. I wish we had a chance with the shanahan nolan combo even though it was unlikely.
    Our Future was bright and you were excited about our Team
    28.57%
    Just missing a Few keys pieces to make a run but a little concern
    44.90%
    With the right Coach we could Win
    6.12%
    We needed to Rebuild and make some Personel & Player changes
    20.41%

I think the McNabb debacle kind of shows Shanahan has lost his touch.

So no, I wouldn't. I would rather go back to 1997 or 1998 if I could just snap my fingers and make something happen with the Broncos. Or I would just make the current squad THAT good.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      I think the McNabb debacle kind of shows Shanahan has lost his touch.

So no, I wouldn't. I would rather go back to 1997 or 1998 if I could just snap my fingers and make something happen with the Broncos. Or I would just make the current squad THAT good.
      I understand this point, but I dont think there is any doubt we had more talent on this team 2 years ago. I wish we had hired a true, traditional GM to maximize the value of the assets we jettisoned.

I am on record very early on about this and wont change my stance. My issues with Josh are 95% roster/draft related. This team is berfet of top tier, young talent.

Comment

heck no

Terrible QB

SuperDiva WR

Horrendous Defense

Comment

No this team needed a change, I just don't know yet if this was the answer.
          sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Can I go back to last summer? When we were looking to hire a new head coach?

Rex Ryan please?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
              heck no

Terrible QB

SuperDiva WR

Horrendous Defense
              cutler isn't bad his oline is worst then ours.

marshall probably would have been gone. Shanahan was having issues before.

defense sucked. Can't say too much about that.

oline was decent even selvin young had over 5 yards a carry.

good pass catching te. In scheffler

hillis was making a name for himself

I would trade this team for 2008 anyday

Comment

No, that team really wasn't much better, replay the last game of that season if you think that team was better. Also how in the world could Shanahan fix that defense in one year?

Going back I would have liked to seen what a defensive minded coach could have done with that team. Someone like Rex Ryan who would leave the offense in tact with Dennison and Bates running it and just concentrated on the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  No, that team really wasn't much better, replay the last game of that season if you think that team was better. Also how in the world could Shanahan fix that defense in one year?

Going back I would have liked to seen what a defensive minded coach could have done with that team. Someone like Rex Ryan who would leave the offense in tact with Dennison and Bates running it and just concentrated on the defense.
                  I would go with that, can only imagine where we would be now, almost anything is better than 2-6 right about now.
                  sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

absolutely, without a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                      do you remember when we had the playoffs in our hands, lost hillis and lost the rest of the games? How many running back injuries did we
                      have? Shanahan kept plugging them in and that's how you know shanahan ran an excellent sysytem. If moreno moroney and buckhalter got hurt you think mcdaniels can successfully plug another one in?

we were close to being in the playoffs. 2008 had problems with defense. I thought mcdaniels was smart enough to figure out what our problem. I was scratching my head trying to understand why we picked up moreno and passed orakpo. That year should have been all defense.

Comment

Nope. This teams future is very bright, even if some refuse to acknowledge it.

Comment

Originally posted by swinginhorseman View Post
                          do you remember when we had the playoffs in our hands, lost hillis and lost the rest of the games? How many running back injuries did we
                          have? Shanahan kept plugging them in and that's how you know shanahan ran an excellent sysytem. If moreno moroney and buckhalter got hurt you think mcdaniels can successfully plug another one in?

we were close to being in the playoffs. 2008 had problems with defense. I thought mcdaniels was smart enough to figure out what our problem. I was scratching my head trying to understand why we picked up moreno and passed orakpo. That year should have been all defense.
                          They were all mediocre running backs, once Hillis went down that team still averaged 130 yards a game in the final 3 games. The Patriots had a ton of injured RBs as well and still ended up 11-5 (by the way they lost their QB that year too), so thats not really a valid excuse as to why that team failed in the end.

Like I said at this point it looks like the McDaniels hire was a bad choice, but it was still time for Shanahan to go. The offense we currently have has shown flashes of its potential, with a coach who is better at calling plays and game planning we will see an offense that is as good or probably better than the one in '08.

Even if McDaniels gave up his playcalling to somebody else and let himslef concentrate on other aspects of the game, we might see a huge improvemnet, but sadly that wont happen.

Comment

Originally posted by swinginhorseman View Post
                            I would in a heartbeat. I think shanahan would have gotten the defense right one of these years.

shanahan was the best at picking offensive talent. I wish we had a chance with the shanahan nolan combo even though it was unlikely.
                            Ok gonna pretend I am Bowlen

Think in hindsight Shanahan was about to right this team.

The offense was good in 2008. When the RB was healthy the team scored almost 29 points a game. We now know that Hillis and Torain would have been a great tandum in the backfield...something Shanahan knew end of 2008.

Shanahan was probably going to draft Orakpo. He was really high on him in the draft and he was available at our natural pick. That would have teamed up Orakpo and Doom as a great 1-2 pass rush.

Definately think Shanahan signs Dawkins. His whole career he made a habbit of picking up older DBs as his safty....Braxton and Lynch are examples of his success.

We still needed another LB specially if we were going to the 3-4. Not sure where this guy comes from.

In the 2010 draft we probably get the playmaking safty we need.

In the later rounds we just pick the BPA and go for depth.

I think even if we fire Shanahan if we pick Rex Ryan as our head coach we are a playoff team right now.

Rex gets Scott to come to Denver instead of NYJ. Not sure who he liked in the draft but he probably takes Orakpo too.

Rex is a defense guy so he lets Bates, Dennison and Turner keep doing their thing and build on the 2008 offense instead of blowing it up.

Also Rex is better at handling players and we probably have ALLOT less drama before the 2009 season.

Personally....I always considered McD the bad choice. I always wanted a defensive coach. Would have taken any of the defensive candidates over McD but Rex was the no brainer imo.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Considering that 36 of the 53 players arent even in the league anymore, anyone who would rather us have that team, just isn't a bronco fan.

Regardless of how you feel about mcdaniels, you should always strive for improvement, and the 2008 is nowhere near an improvement over the current team, especially talent wise.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a change of players/coaches, but it should at least be for sake of improvement...

Comment

Working...
                              X