Perception Versus Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
    Nothing that happened today proved anything about any QB's mobility...
    You're welcome to create your own measurements then, or pick a weekend to track... Or anything - ANYTHING at all, to contribute to the discussion.

I have no issue if you think there's a better system out there, but to just come into a thread solely for the purpose of doing nothing but state repeatedly that he's not mobile enough isn't really doing anything but stamping feet.

If you have a suggestion for improvement or a different way to measure it, offer it. If not, why are you here?

I'll give you this much, LarryDean; At least you didn't try to pick a fight and not even bother to weigh in on the experiment like some folks did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      You're welcome to create your own measurements then, or pick a weekend to track... Or anything - ANYTHING at all, to contribute to the discussion.

I have no issue if you think there's a better system out there, but to just come into a thread solely for the purpose of doing nothing but state repeatedly that he's not mobile enough isn't really doing anything but stamping feet.

If you have a suggestion for improvement or a different way to measure it, offer it. If not, why are you here?

I'll give you this much, LarryDean; At least you didn't try to pick a fight and not even bother to weigh in on the experiment like some folks did.
      The measurement I personally use is the eye test and it tells me what I think of as a mobile QB ..The reason why I'm here was already posted and pertained to the topic ... Do you have any specific stats of this measurement being conducted at the moment ?
      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

• Orton is not very mobile relative to true scrambling QBs, but he also isn't a statue that can't move at all. I don't really need to chart things to know that.

The guy makes people miss here and there and occasionally runs for a first down. That said teams have no real fear of his mobility. He's also runs a 5.0+ in the 40, if my eyes don't deceive me, which means that nearly any defender on the field except for some DTs can chase him down.

He is not a mobile QB. He's a QB with functional mobility if he has the space to avoid defenders and enough of a head-start to outrun them.
        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
          Orton is not very mobile relative to true scrambling QBs, but he also isn't a statue that can't move at all. I don't really need to chart things to know that.
          I agree with you here. That's the question that some are trying to answer.

Bear in mind this was the result of BroncoholicJS's thread on Orton's mobility where he asked why Orton was so damned immobile.

I responded, "He's not. It's your perception."

He was genuinely interested in seeing something concrete to back that up.

So there are folks like you and I, and there are folks like Flammer that are adamant regardless of the information available.

Then there are folks like JS who genuinely want to see if the problem is their perception. Again, that's who this exercise was for - and frankly, I don't think it hurts for someone in one of the other categories to partake either. It's hard to say what someone can suddenly discover if they start looking at the games differently, and this was kind of a neat way to do that.

Comment

The measurement I personally use is the eye test and it tells me what I think of as a mobile QB ..The reason why I'm here was already posted and pertained to the topic ... Do you have any specific stats of this measurement being conducted at the moment ?
            Yeah, but I just got home and want to respond to other threads. I have the stats. I'll write them up in a bit.

Bear in mind that Orton only had one genuine scrambling attempt all day today, and when he did he dodged three defenders and then dumped the pass off for a solid gain, so I already know what the outcome is going to be:

Most of us will say, "Well, we already knew he wasn't immobile."

Most of us will probably also say, "Well, he really only had one or two instances of needing pocket awareness and mobility today. That's too small of a sample size." There's some merit to that statement as well.

Some of us will say, "YOU'RE A HOMER AND I HATE YOU BECUASE YOU DOANT AGHREE WITH ME AND JUST LET ME RUNG MY MOUFS!"

So... I already know the outcome, but writing up the post and all the details will take some time if I want it to look halfway decent.

But yeah... The results pretty heavily favor Orton, as one might suspect.

Then again, I did say I was going to do it ahead of time in a game we were MAJOR underdogs for, against a very good defense, with the second-worst run game in the league and a very mediocre pass-protecting O-line (rated 15th in pass protection per play in the NFL prior to today's game).

So... You know... When someone from the "Orton is immobile" camp cares to match these circumstances and do their own tracking, they can.

They won't - they'll just scream that this doesn't prove anything - but they can if they want to.

Comment

• I regress as Alastor pointed out I have no business in this thread as Orton actions on the field today spoke more volume then what my opinion can carry...

I just don't think of Orton as being a mobile QB and that he is lacking in pocket presence
              :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I just don't think of Orton as being a mobile QB and that he is lacking in pocket presence
                You're entitled to your view, LarryDean. If that's your opinion and nothing can change that, that's fine.

Like I said, this exercise wasn't aimed at folks that felt that way.

Comment

• Alastor, Broncbeat.....any success with the early games?

Or were you guys too drunk in happiness?
                  2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X