Colin Cowherd just had a great segment on time & patience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Cowherd just had a great segment on time & patience

I was watching Cowherd's radio show on ESPNU and he had a great segment on how long it takes to build teams. He made these points:

It took John Wooden 16 years to be more than a mediocre team.

It took Coach K 8 years to turn Duke into a serious contender.

Bill Belichick failed initially.

I believe there were a few more examples as well, and though he was talking about something else for his argument, it definitely made me think of McDaniels. Everyone here expected him to be great in his first 2 years and dominate immediately. You have to give a coach time to build a solid foundation in order for your team to win consistently.

I know this topic has been beat to death but I still think McDaniels wasn't given enough time to see what a team he built could look like.

I just hope that whoever the next coach is will get a fair amount of time and we don't start running every new coach out of town if they can't produce a powerhouse in 20 games.
    sigpic
    Sig by Blondie79

This is the Broncos. Put a band-aid on it and win now. Sadly, thats our problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
      I was watching Cowherd's radio show on ESPNU and he had a great segment on how long it takes to build teams. He made these points:

I believe there were a few more examples as well, and though he was talking about something else for his argument, it definitely made me think of McDaniels. Everyone here expected him to be great in his first 2 years and dominate immediately. You have to give a coach time to build a solid foundation in order for your team to win consistently.

I know this topic has been beat to death but I still think McDaniels wasn't given enough time to see what a team he built could look like.

I just hope that whoever the next coach is will get a fair amount of time and we don't start running every new coach out of town if they can't produce a powerhouse in 20 games.
      The spector of cheating and dishonest behavior cost Josh his job. Minus that incident, he would still be here
      A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

Speaking of time, patience, yin and yang, breathe in, breathe out... I would like to know what Mr. Cowherd was talking about McDaniels and his Broncos when the team stopped winning games.
        sigpic

Comment

I cant stand that guy. He is as smug as they come. He acts like he knows everything.

Belichick succeeded because he drafted Brady and cheated for many years.

Coach K doesnt coach at the professional level or even the same sport.

The Nfl has many examples of coaches that have turned a team around quickly.

Mcd did turn the broncos around. He just turned us the wrong way. He made us the worst team in the history of our franchise.

Even rats are smart enough to jump off a sinking ship. At least Ellis is as smart as a rat (but just barely)
          sigpic

Comment

The NFL is not a 8-10 year business. It's a win now league. If Misshandles would have kept Cutler he would have had a chance to win now. Cutler= division title Misshandles= loser!

Comment

Everyone knew Denver's DEFENSE was what got Shanahan fired, not the offense. I think had he looked at the DEFENSE and said damn....Blew the defense up and left the offense as it was, people would have had alot more patience with the losing. He would have been looked at as trying to fix the problems...

Instead he came in and blew up the offense (the 1 good thing he inherited) and then started losing games and so the offense sucks, the defense remains crappy, and ST still sucks.

So what did he do in 2 years in summary, Didn't address a crap defense, didn't address a crap ST, and destroyed and proficiant offense that needed to learn to score in the red zone. and then proceded to lose consistantly for a season and a 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post
                I cant stand that guy. He is as smug as they come. He acts like he knows everything.

Belichick succeeded because he drafted Brady and cheated for many years.

Coach K doesnt coach at the professional level or even the same sport.

The Nfl has many examples of coaches that have turned a team around quickly.

Mcd did turn the broncos around. He just turned us the wrong way. He made us the worst team in the history of our franchise.

Even rats are smart enough to jump off a sinking ship. At least Ellis is as smart as a rat (but just barely)
                Your points are nowhere close to valid. Belichick succeeded because he drafted Brady? Yeah, that's correct. He succeeded because he drafted well and gave it time.

Coach K doesn't coach in the NFL, correct, but that's not the point. The people in charge of him gave him enough time to build a winner.

I'm sure you don't realize this, and no one seems to, but we were not good at all before McD got here. Jake Plummer left, and with him the wins. We we hovering between mediocrity and failure for 3-4 years.

If the next guy we hires doesn't turn us into a winning team in 1 and a half years, will you demand he gets fired as well?
                sigpic
                Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Your points are nowhere close to valid. Belichick succeeded because he drafted Brady? Yeah, that's correct. He succeeded because he drafted well and gave it time.

Coach K doesn't coach in the NFL, correct, but that's not the point. The people in charge of him gave him enough time to build a winner.

I'm sure you don't realize this, and no one seems to, but we were not good at all before McD got here. Jake Plummer left, and with him the wins. We we hovering between mediocrity and failure for 3-4 years.

If the next guy we hires doesn't turn us into a winning team in 1 and a half years, will you demand he gets fired as well?
                  No, but if he comes in cheats, loses, gives good players away, gives draft picks away, drafts bad, fires good coaches, hires a bunch of no name staff members, then YES!

Comment

Originally posted by soloking View Post
                    No, but if he comes in cheats, loses, gives good players away, gives draft picks away, drafts bad, fires good coaches, hires a bunch of no name staff members, then YES!
                    McD didn't cheat, that's been established.

Losing was my argument, it takes time to win.

Giving players and draft picks away, McD gave players for draft picks, some moves were bad, but I endorsed most of them and like the results.

The '09 draft looks pretty good and the '10 draft class looks fantastic.

I don't remember him ever firing a good coach.

The staff around him was bad, yes.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Ture, but right now we can't even sniff mediocrity, and as I said before, he didn't address the main problems that he inherited. Had he blown up the Defense and shown that he was addressing the most concerning problems first, I truely believe ppl would have had more patience, and he'd have been given more time.

Comment

Isn't HE responsible for the staff around him?? He selected and hired the intire coaching staff. hence their failures are his failures.

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Medic View Post
                          Ture, but right now we can't even sniff mediocrity, and as I said before, he didn't address the main problems that he inherited. Had he blown up the Defense and shown that he was addressing the most concerning problems first, I truely believe ppl would have had more patience, and he'd have been given more time.
                          That is a good point, but I look at it a different way. McDaniels had a plan to build a team. He created this plan far before he was hired by Denver. The first part of this plan was to build the offense he envisioned. Try to look at it as an empty slate. He was starting from scratch to build a team in his image, not just starting where the last guy left off. That kind of plan takes at least 3 years, and that fact that the ownership didn't realize that and succumbed to the pressure of the masses is just embarrassing.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Medic View Post
                            Isn't HE responsible for the staff around him?? He selected and hired the intire coaching staff. hence their failures are his failures.
                            Yes, that was the part of his argument that I agreed with. McDaniels did not do a good job of surrounding himself with good assistant coaches. I'll admit to that. He wasn't perfect and made a lot of mistakes, I'm not trying to say he was making the greatest team anyone has ever seen, I just wish we could have seen what he was building.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Blondie79

Comment

McD didn't cheat, that's been established.

Losing was my argument, it takes time to win.

Giving players and draft picks away, McD gave players for draft picks, some moves were bad, but I endorsed most of them and like the results.

The '09 draft looks pretty good and the '10 draft class looks fantastic.

Um.. he did cheat (and still lose)that's the main reason they fired him so fast.

Fantastic... please explain? 2 so so linemen, a hurt wr, criminal CB, and Tebow has promise. Please explain!

09...Ayers over Clay Mathews!! Quinn in the 3rd round! Please explain once again! A 1st rounder for Alphonso Smith! Do you watch football?

You like the moves he made? Hillis plus 2 draft picks for Quinn, a 4th round pick of Moroney! Cutler for Orton and Ayers. Marshall for Beatles and a 2nd round pick. Sheffler for a 5th turned into Cox.

He fired NOLAN who was the only good coach on the roster.

MISSHANDLES mad more mistakes in 2 years then most coaches do in a lifetime!

This thread is

Comment

Working...
                              X