Denver Defense Rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Defense Rank

So, I keep seeing all these comments about Denver's Defense not being *great* because they don't have enough takeaways.
    So I suppose all these other categories are just chopped liver??

Yards per Game: Denver #1
    Passing D: Denver #2
    Rushing D: Denver #4
    Scoring D (points/game): Denver #2
    3rd down %: Denver #5

It's a real shame they can't stop anyone!

Side note:

Total offense (yds/gm): Denver #5
    Rushing offense: Denver #1
    Sacks allowed: Denver #1.

Too bad about that horrible offensive line, eh?

are we really # 1 rushing O after weeks 2-4 with Q?
    Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

That's what the stats say on Fox sports.

Three terrific running games: Chiefs, Carolina, Faiders
      Two fair to poor games: Jax and TB.
      One awful game: Bolts

Equals: 151.7 ypg average.

Comment

Re: Denver Defense Rank

Originally posted by WildHorse
        So, I keep seeing all these comments about Denver's Defense not being *great* because they don't have enough takeaways.

Side note:

Those are some great stats, but the thing I think was more important was the fact that they played well on all three phases and they played as a team. I also liked the fact that they showed some killer instinct and put the team away.

Comment

Im not sold yet on our defense. Im close, but Im not sold.

We still have not played a top offense, and we have struggled mightily against top defenses when we are on offense (Jax, TB).

I went through it more indepth on another post, ill go dig it up and cut and paste:

Ok guys....

We have played the Chiefs, Champ shut down Gonzalez, and we stopped their very poor WR backups but Priest lit us up in the run game. The Chiefs were not a balanced team. Their starting WRs were both injured as well as their H-back. Not even going to mention the Chiefs defense.

Denver then lost to Jacksonville. Largely because Shanahan called a poor gameplan focused on running up the middle against Pro Bowl DTs. Jacksonville could not pass at all, though Reggie Williams gave us problems. Being one dimensional, they ran ok.

Denver then proceded to defeat San Diego. In this game we should have lost. Drew Brees missed Caldwell wide open and Dwight wide open behind Kelly Herndon. If Brees was accurate, we'd have lost that game. Tomlinson ran well and Brees passed ok. The Charger defense was remarkably dominant against our run, but Plummer had a great game. We won because of Lelie's acrobatic 4th down catch and Brees' missed passes.

Denver then edged Tampa Bay. Tampa is zero dimensional. They cant run or pass. Yet, Mark Clayton worked Herndon over and Pittman ran for 5 yards a carry. We struggled on offense, but thats ok because Tampa has a good defense all around.

Denver then edged Carolina. We ran wild over a bottom ranked run defense. Cant really boast about that. Droughns ran hard though, that was impressive. Plummer struggled passing against a poor secondary. That was not so good. Carolina was one dimensional. Both their RBs were hurt. THey could only pass and their best WR Steve Smith is out for hte year. Champ shut down muhammed, but again, rookie Colbert torched Herndon much like Mark Clayton in Tampa.

Denver then annhilated the Raiders. Who were without their RB threat (Wheatley) and have a mistake prone QB, who actually improved against us by only throwing 1 int instead of 3 like the last 2 weeks. They had no WR threats outside of Porter (other dude got hurt) and with Wheatley injured and the Broncos coming out to a massive lead, the running game was abandoned. The truth is we still havent played a good offense yet.

And next week we get Cinci....they are the equivalent of the Raiders. Take out Chad Johnson, and with Warrick hurt, there is no threat. They have a decent running game, but if the passing game is taken away, we can stack the run and crush Rudi and Perry. The game's already over now unless Kitna gets put in.

THEN, we get Atlanta, while not an elite offense, they have some skill players and a solid D. That game will be a great test for Droughns to see how he runs against a top tier defense. And will be a great game for our defense to control Vick and their running attack.

Comment

Those are some great stats, but the thing I think was more important was the fact that they played well on all three phases and they played as a team. I also liked the fact that they showed some killer instinct and put the team away.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What *I* like (besides your excellent points) is that the Denver D is *FINALLY* trying to keep the other team from scoring, even when they are well ahead in the game. The last couple years drove me CRAZY when the denver D would play soft when they had a bit of a lead and let the other team score. The guys this year seem determined to keep people from scoring--ever!

Comment

until they show weakness, let's see. Tey are ranked where they are for a reason. They are so good against the pass, my only concern is against the run. However, I feel that the Denver D will be an even bigger sell if they start forcing tunrovers more. Jell yeah Broncos!
              Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

The stats on foxsports have not been updated yet

Comment

you got to think if the broncos are making a team punt 7-8 times a game there is not a great oppurtunity to get turnovers. yes the broncos looked good on defense but would it have been different with the penalties taken back when the raiders seemed to collect first downs but were penalized
                  The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                  While he sits by his hearth at home.
                  Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                  That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

I don't care if we played mostly bad teams the fact is we still have played great defense. We'll see at end of the season if we are still the best but at the very least we are a really good defense. If we treat the Colts like the Raiders I would say we are the best there is.
                    Mat'hir tells the future:

"Gold. He won't be back, he is still mad at Denver." "Nope. Won't happen. If it does, someone put this in their sig and shame me all season."

"I've been sticking with the 8-8 declaration and missing the playoffs" 13-3!

"(Brown's) injury only being 9 months old, and Pryce's spine injury, I think both will contribute little and unfortunately land on IR"

"Gerrard Warren will NEVER, EVER, resign in Denver next season no matter how much money we pay him."

Comment

Smothering an offense and getting your offense good field position is just as good as forcing TOs.
                      D-BLOCK!

That's what it is!

Comment

Side note:

Can we get a link?

Comment

Originally posted by 24CHAMP24
                          The stats on foxsports have not been updated yet
                          NFL.com HAS updated their stats, and the original poster is correct.

Comment

Im not sold yet on our defense. Im close, but Im not sold.

Do you *ever* get thirsty from the cup always being half-empty?

They are not perfect as a team. The D still has room for improvement. They are playing better than I anticipated. The schedule is proving to be somewhat easier than I expected when I first saw it (almost everyone, except SD was looking tough to me initially. All of a sudden it's SD playing tougher and everyone else looking weaker. Go figure??).

So they have a little luck going their way early in the season. A little luck certainly can have a lot to do with a season. While stats are often misleading, it doesn't *hurt* to be ranked in the top 5 on both offense and defense.

Since I have NO say in any decisions the broncos make (phew, I KNEW there were some brains operating in Dove Valley after all), all I can do is enjoy the good times while they are happening. Which, in case you hadn't noticed, is right now!

You could probably review NEs games and make similar points about how "they were lucky this didn't happen, or lucky about that." Doesn't change the standings or the scores.

Comment

Side note:

Yes statistically they are very good, but I would bet my last dollar that Coyer and Shanahan would still like to see more turnovers. As I have said before getting turnovers can win you two maybe three games a season. Also teams that are on the plus side of turnovers make usually the playoffs
                              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                              X