Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to 4-3, is looking very likely....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to 4-3, is looking very likely....

According to our mile high report, we might just be moving back to a 4-3, which ask the question "what about Doom". Can he be a success at the 4-3? The last time he was there, he was not. What does this say about the draft?

The Broncos have made something very apparent to me throughout their coaching search--this team could be headed for a move to the 4-3 defense.

The recent addition of John Fox to the coaching list means to me that this move is much more than simply an idea--it's a potential reality.

Look at the names the Broncos have interviewed, discussed, or sought permission to talk to:

John Fox (Carolina), 4-3
    Perry Fewell (NY Giants), 4-3
    Eric Studesville (RB's coach), 4-3/3-4
    Dirk Koetter (Jacksonville, OC), 4-3
    Mike Mularkey (Atlanta, OC), 4-3
    Gregg Williams (New Orleans), 4-3
    Ron Rivera (San Diego), 3-4 and 4-3
    Rick Dennison (Houston), 4-3
    Jim Fassel (Giants, Locomotives), 4-3
    Jim Harbaugh (49ers), 3-4
    Is this merely a coincidence? Really, only Studesville and Rivera coached a team with a 3-4 defense last year, and Rivera's most notable defense was with Chicago in 2006 where they ran a--you guessed it--4-3.
    http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/1...ming?ref=yahoo
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

I wouldn't say Dumervil was bad in the 4-3. I feel like whoever we get should keep the 3-4 and Wink, just focus on improving it.
    sigpic
    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Wouldn't be opposed. I prefer the 4-3. Our 3 down linemen don't seem to have the strength to stop the run.
      sigpic

Comment

One player can't determine what scheme we run. Our front 7 is devoid of talent so we wouldn't have to sacrifice much to switch to a 4-3.
        sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

I hope not.. switching back to a 4-3 could set us back even further. We don't know how effective are current cast would be in a 4-3 defense. I say stick to the 3-4.

Comment

We've shown potential in the 3-4, and that was with crap. That's why I'd rather have Rivera over Fewell. Both would be good. But Rivera would likely stick to the 3-4. If we can get another 2 or 3rd pick out of Orton, and use those picks on defense. We could improve vastly.
            sigpic

Want to live forever? Of course you do! So shoot me a CP.

Comment

I think that Fewell has been under both styles and knows both. I believe however there may be some other dark horse candidates as well. But really as bad as our D is it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                I hope not.. switching back to a 4-3 could set us back even further. We don't know how effective are current cast would be in a 4-3 defense. I say stick to the 3-4.
                You do realize that our "effective" 3-4 unit gave up the most points in the NFL this year? The defense is terrible, THEREFORE, you make a change.
                RESTORE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!!
                :smash

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

Comment

That's a somewhat slanted article, but I agree that a 4-3 is a possibility

Several of the names on the list are OC's and would run whatever defense the new DC wants to run.

I would also contest that Dennison would want to run a 4-3. He was a 3-4 lb during the orange crush days.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                    We're the worst defense in the league, it can't get any worse!

I think moving back to the 4-3 makes sense for 1 reason, with so many teams switching to a 3-4 there's a much bigger competition for limited players. It's going to be much easier to find players for the 4-3 than it is to find decent 3-4 players.

Comment

I like doom as much as anyone here but be honest....if it came down to sticking to 3-4 and sucking so he can be sack king and moving back to 4-3 and trading him for draft picks to shore up the defense I'm going with the draft picks.

Dooms a great guy but lets be honest he's slightly overrated by some around here...beyond getting pressure he's not good for much else.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        We're the worst defense in the league, it can't get any worse!

I think moving back to the 4-3 makes sense for 1 reason, with so many teams switching to a 3-4 there's a much bigger competition for limited players. It's going to be much easier to find players for the 4-3 than it is to find decent 3-4 players.
                        Do you know why its the worst in the league? Because we change DC's every year. We need to stick with something instead of changing every year
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                          I like doom as much as anyone here but be honest....if it came down to sticking to 3-4 and sucking so he can be sack king and moving back to 4-3 and trading him for draft picks to shore up the defense I'm going with the draft picks.

Dooms a great guy but lets be honest he's slightly overrated by some around here...beyond getting pressure he's not good for much else.
                          I think this is a possibilty as well. If they switch to a 4-3, they could trade DOOM to the Texans, Bills, or Browns for another high 1st round pick and maybe more. If so, they could potentially get 2 top 4-3 Dline guys in the 1st...DT Fairley and DE Bowers/Kerrigan/Quinn/Clayborn. They could use the 2nd rounders on LBs and/or DBs and could really improve this defense with 1 solid draft.
                          sigpic

Comment

Im a little torn on the issue and I can definitely see everybodies reasons why for both. There is no right/wrong answer to this question.

Knowing that the NFL is a passing league makes me want the 3-4 much more. Doom is a perfect fit in the 3-4 as well.

But we are in a divsion with young, dominate RBs and the 4-3 is fundamentally stronger against the run.

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
                              Do you know why its the worst in the league? Because we change DC's every year. We need to stick with something instead of changing every year
                              Only way we do not change is sticking with Wink and you can count me out on that move. There are a ton of variations to a 3-4, new terminology, and so forth. It is not like the 4 DCs we revoled through as a 4-3 did the same things.

As far as Doom goes, he would find a role in a 4-3 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he posted 15 sacks in that role.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Working...
                              X