Inside the interview of Eric Studesville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acpell671 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by cover up. It seems as though they want to share the process with the fans. This type of thing takes some preparation as I work in video and I hardly think that they were trying to cover up anything.

They are giving us a chance to get to know who our coach may be. I think it's pretty cool.
    I don't believe it is really a cover up. I was just picking on an earlier thread that stated the Fewell interview could have been a PR move for everyone to like him before we announced the hire...
    sigpic
    D.J. Williams - My 2011 adopted Bronco

Comment

Originally posted by MHS View Post
      2001–03

In 2001, he was hired as the New York Giants running backs coach. There, he guided running back Tiki Barber to two consecutive 1,000 yard rushing seasons and paved the way for Barber to become one of the best offensive weapons for the Giants in the coming years. In 2002, Barber recorded 1,387 rushing yards which was not only a career high for the running back, but the second-most total in Giants franchise history.
      [edit] 2004–09

He left the Giants in 2004 and joined the Buffalo Bills as their running backs coach. In his first year, he helped 2003 first-round draft choice Willis McGahee to reach 1,000 yards rushing. The following year in 2005, McGahee again rushed for over 1,000 yards. In 2006, McGahee fell 10 yards short of his third consecutive 1,000 yard season as he finished the year with 990 rushing yards.

In 2007, the Bills selected running back Marshawn Lynch with the 12th overall pick. Studesville guided Lynch to a total of 1,115 rushing yards, making Lynch the fifth rookie in team history to reach the 1,000 yard milestone.

Studesville was promoted to running backs coordinator in 2008. That year, he helped Lynch earn a Pro Bowl selection with his second consecutive 1,000 yard rushing year, rushing for 1,036 yards. The following year, however, an injury to Lynch opened the door to undrafted running back Fred Jackson who rushed for 1,082 total yards.
      So he was a great running back coach when he had Tiki Barber, Marshawn Lynch, and Willis McGahee? When did he ever turn a completely unheralded back like Olandis Gary or Mike Anderson into a top back? Did he teach Laurence Maroney how not to run into the back of his linemen? Seriously, how could we justify giving the job to him over Dennison who has also been a coordinator and just got a 1,600 yard season out of an undrafted running back? If we're intent on restoring our running game to prominence, who do you think would do a better job, Dennison or Studesville?
      Last edited by Vertical Socks; 01-10-2011, 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Vertical Socks View Post
        So he was a great running back coach when he had Tiki Barber, Marshawn Lynch, and Willis McGahee? When did he ever turn a completely unheralded back like Olandis Gary or Mike Anderson into a top back? Did he teach Laurence Maroney how not to run into the back of his linemen? Seriously, how could we justify giving the job to him over Dennison who has also been a coordinator and just got a 1,600 yard season out of an undrafted running back? If we're intent on restoring our running game to prominence, who do you think would do a better job, Dennison or Studesville?
        When Dennison was special teams coach of the Broncos, the special teams weren't so special. As a matter of fact, they stunk amongst signs of mediocrity. Not saying he'd be a bad head coach, just being fair. I'm also not saying Studesville should be head coach.

I can't see why anyone would want Morninweg, who went 5-27 as head coach of Detroit, as coach of the Denver Broncos. Yea, Detroit usually stinks, but cmon..In 4 games, Studesville coached 1/5th the amount of wins MM had! I see that as a Tebow first move, which is NOT what the BRoncos should do.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCrushem View Post
          When Dennison was special teams coach of the Broncos, the special teams weren't so special. As a matter of fact, they stunk amongst signs of mediocrity. Not saying he'd be a bad head coach, just being fair. I'm also not saying Studesville should be head coach.

I can't see why anyone would want Morninweg, who went 5-27 as head coach of Detroit, as coach of the Denver Broncos. Yea, Detroit usually stinks, but cmon..In 4 games, Studesville coached 1/5th the amount of wins MM had! I see that as a Tebow first move, which is NOT what the BRoncos should do.
          Yeah, you're right. Studesville is more qualified than Dennison.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
            I pass on Gregg Williams too...his defense was terrible yesterday

So far, no to Studesville, no to Gregg Williams, no to Dom Capers and no to Marty Mornhinweg

Maybe to Perry Fewell and Dirk Koetter, need more info on both

Yes to Ron Rivera
            Yes to Rick Dennison...'yes' meaning they move onto the next interview stage

...and I am suprised Mike Nolan hasn't been mentioned...
            Definitely no to Gregg Williams, was never impressed with his play calling.

Dom Capers...bahh I dont know...Would I be upset? Probably not, but I also wouldnt be thrilled.

Mornhinweg...Couldnt adapt to the blitzing packers with the most mobile QB in the league...no thanks.

Yes to Perry Fewell...Interesting OC...Studesville...Flame me now lol.

No to Koetter...hate the play calling

Yes to Rivera!!!! Although the Singletery 2.0 possibility scares me.

Rick Dennison as OC/Assistant HC only.

Comment

This is arguable but all of his backs have been successful after their team with the exception of Tiki. I think it if you look at what a ZBS asks the back to do versus a PBS to do, you will see it is a lot easier to run.

I cant speak on Gary but how did Mike Anderson do with the Ravens? If he really coached them into top backs, wouldnt he have had some success in Baltimore?

I like the potential of the PBS in the long run over the quick results of the ZBS in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Incomplete84 View Post
                This is arguable but all of his backs have been successful after their team with the exception of Tiki. I think it if you look at what a ZBS asks the back to do versus a PBS to do, you will see it is a lot easier to run.

I cant speak on Gary but how did Mike Anderson do with the Ravens? If he really coached them into top backs, wouldnt he have had some success in Baltimore?

I like the potential of the PBS in the long run over the quick results of the ZBS in the short term.
                I wasn't arguing that Dennison coached Gary and Anderson. He didn't. I was just using their names as examples of unheralded backs who were successful. Has Studesville ever had success with a back who wasn't supposed to be successful? Did his Denver backs overachieve or underachieve? While our ZBS did have some shortcomings (at least after Terrell Davis. It was unstoppable with him), I've seen enough of our PBS over the last two years to be ready to go back. I'll take the top rushing attack in the league with a few shortcomings over the worst rushing attack in the league. The main weakness with the ZBS was not being able to overpower people at the goal line, but with Tebow at the helm, I don't think the red zone is going to be the problem it used to be.

Comment

IF I was Pat Bowlen...
                  My team is a shambles... I have a HC who is a friggin disaster. I have fans deserting the ship... so I finally pull the trigger on the McDoo problem.

BUT before I pull that trigger ... I look at the whole coaching staff...
                  I think.... 'Who on the staff has the best shot at becoming a top notch HC?', because I would like some continuity into next year.

Stud's obviously has something that the FO likes, or they would not have picked him. If they were giving up on looking for a long term coach they could have named ANYONE as interim HC, McCoy , Wink etc...
                  But they didn't they picked Studs for a reason....

I hope ( and actually think) he is the front runner for the job.

There will be a learning curve if he gets it but I think he will go 8 /8 next season and 10+ / 6 after that ....

Comment

I wasn't arguing that Dennison coached Gary and Anderson. He didn't. I was just using their names as examples of unheralded backs who were successful. Has Studesville ever had success with a back who wasn't supposed to be successful? Did his Denver backs overachieve or underachieve? While our ZBS did have some shortcomings (at least after Terrell Davis. It was unstoppable with him), I've seen enough of our PBS over the last two years to be ready to go back. I'll take the top rushing attack in the league with a few shortcomings over the worst rushing attack in the league. The main weakness with the ZBS was not being able to overpower people at the goal line, but with Tebow at the helm, I don't think the red zone is going to be the problem it used to be.
                    As much as I like Tebow, if you commit to the ZBS in part because of him, I think you are not setting yourself up for long term success. What if he doesn't work out? We tried converting a team that was ZBS into a PBS. Our best asset was injured in the off-season playing basketball. We also started two rookies who seemed to come on at the end. If it wasnt for the raiders stacking the box and crappy play calling the trend would have continued.

I am more than comfortable with a combination of Studesville and Fewell. I like the respect they get from players, I like their coaching style. I think you bring in a guy who knows the o-line better (tom cable? yeah he runs ZBS but I think he would be good) and let these guys go at it. A healthy Moreno and a speed back would make our offense work IMO.

Also I was not suggesting you arguing Dennison coached the two listed backs.

Comment

Originally posted by Incomplete84 View Post
                      As much as I like Tebow, if you commit to the ZBS in part because of him, I think you are not setting yourself up for long term success. What if he doesn't work out? We tried converting a team that was ZBS into a PBS. Our best asset was injured in the off-season playing basketball. We also started two rookies who seemed to come on at the end. If it wasnt for the raiders stacking the box and crappy play calling the trend would have continued.

I am more than comfortable with a combination of Studesville and Fewell. I like the respect they get from players, I like their coaching style. I think you bring in a guy who knows the o-line better (tom cable? yeah he runs ZBS but I think he would be good) and let these guys go at it. A healthy Moreno and a speed back would make our offense work IMO.

Also I was not suggesting you arguing Dennison coached the two listed backs.
                      I think people refer to the ZBS as some sort of insider abbreviation, and I really wonder how much some of you know about the ZBS, and how it is used in the NFL. Some of you type some strange stuff that leads me to believe that you really don't know what the ZBS actually is.

So do you?

First off, virtually EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL uses principles of the ZBS.

Anytime you see an O-line take it's first step, in unison, left or right, that's a zone-blocking concept. The idea is to get moving gaps, and make the defense make a wrong run fit. The runner runs along-side the O-line and waits for the 'gap' to be exposed, and then hits the crease full speed.

That's it.

I can tell you the Green Bay Packers KILLED the Eagles with it yesterday, and James Starks gained alot of his yardage on big runs with the Pack using the ZBS

It's a fantastic system, and some of the concepts have become staples of NFL rushing attacks

Rick Dennison has his PHD in this rushing attack, and for that reason alone is a heavyweight candidate.

To me, it's Dennison or John Fox at this point.
                      Last edited by MindField; 01-10-2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                        I think people refer to the ZBS as some sort of insider abbreviation, and I really wonder how much some of you know about the ZBS, and how it is used in the NFL. Some of you type some strange stuff that leads me to believe that you really don't know what the ZBS actually is.

So do you?

First off, virtually EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL uses principles of the ZBS.

Anytime you see an O-line take it's first step, in unison, left or right, that's a zone-blocking concept. The idea is to get moving gaps, and make the defense make a wrong run fit. The runner runs along-side the O-line and waits for the 'gap' to be exposed, and then hits the crease full speed.

That's it.

I can tell you the Green Bay Packers KILLED the Eagles with it yesterday, and James Starks gained alot of his yardage on big runs with the Pack using the ZBS

It's a fantastic system, and some of the concepts have become staples of NFL rushing attacks
                        Thanks for calling me an idiot!

Assuming I have no idea what I am talking about is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFreak#1 View Post
                          I wonder if the Colt's OC gets any interviews??
                          No Peyton Manning is not available.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolassiter View Post
                            No Peyton Manning is not available.
                            Are you sure?
                            --BREAKING NEWS--

DENVER TO DRAFT "YES" WITH THE #2 OVERALL PICK!

"Who will Denver draft with the #2 overall pick?"
                            sigpic

MY 2012 MOCK DRAFT:

RD 1: YES
                            RD 2: CONCENTRATE AND ASK AGAIN
                            RD 3: IT'S A HIGH POSSIBILITY
                            RD 4: NOT IN THE HORIZON
                            RD 5: CONCENTRATE AND ASK AGAIN
                            RD 6: CONCENTRATE AND ASK AGAIN
                            RD 7: NO

Comment

Fred jackson, there is your mike anderson/ Olandis gary for you.

And where did i say hire him as head coachor that he was better then dennison, i was merely defending him as being a good RBs coach... so instead of putting words into my mouth re read what i posted.

I simply state just because the broncos running game was bad this year does not take away what he has done as a RB's coach
                              sigpic
                              "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

Working...
                              X