Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elway, Fox and company: Please keep Wink Martindale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should Wink stay?

If Wink wants to keep his job, he needs to show what he accomplished during the year. Can anyone point to an improvement that he made in the defense? No one expected a super bowl caliber defense after one year, but he needs to be able to point to at least a couple areas that they showed improvement.

Injured players is just an excuse. As bad as we were last year, I believe our defense was ranked even worse this year in basically every category. So what did Wink add to our team over the last year?

Comment

Wink is the only DC I've ever seen who consistently telegraphs blitzes before the snap. It's like he's begging the QB to change the play and take advantage. And it happened all season. Even the talking mullets on CBS were commenting on it before plays, and you could watch the QB change the play for a big gain. Duh! No, I'd be all for consistency if Wink were at least on par with opposing DC's, but he's nowhere close. Bring in the new blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
        Now that the HC position is filled, please please please look at fixing our team now, instead of changing it. Please don't McDaniels us again. Keeping Wink Martindale is probably going to be imparitive to how our team will do defensively. Many veteran players including Champ Bailey and DJ have stepped up begging for some kind of consistancy. With the schemes and styles of these coaches coming day in and day out it's hard for our youngins and stressful for the vets. Give Wink just one more year before giving him the boot. Let Fox help Wink, give some pointers and together coach that defense.
        just say NO!!!!!!
        Where is this season going?

Comment

We don't need consistency until we get a good defensive coordinator, and I don't think Wink is really that great, but maybe Fox will know better.
          "In the red zone, in the red zone...Let's get 7, let's get 7."

Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche

Comment

Now that the HC position is filled, please please please look at fixing our team now, instead of changing it. Please don't McDaniels us again. Keeping Wink Martindale is probably going to be imparitive to how our team will do defensively. Many veteran players including Champ Bailey and DJ have stepped up begging for some kind of consistancy. With the schemes and styles of these coaches coming day in and day out it's hard for our youngins and stressful for the vets. Give Wink just one more year before giving him the boot. Let Fox help Wink, give some pointers and together coach that defense.
            Why would we keep a coach that took a top 10 d and turned it into the 32nd ranked D? Wink sucks he needs to go... personally I would get rid of any coach McD brought in just on general principal
            Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

I am indifferent here. I recognize we need consistency...

but at the same time....we just gave up a league record of 471 points this year....it's really hard to keep wink right now....

I hope we do but i understand if we don't.
              DENVER STAND UP!!!

Comment

Naw...let him go. People are saying keep for consistency...please...consistently getting our rears handed to us! Time get that defense situated back to the orange crush days!

Comment

Wink needs to go he is no good I can't believe you all want to keep a DC that allows 30 points a game, Sorry but McD's fail's must go also to clean this Team up and put someone in that knows what the hell they are doing...

Comment

With Fox here, IDK. As much as I believe in the 3-4, IMO It would be wasted effort if the 3-4 fundamentals become corrupted by a coach with conservative 4-3 principals. So I see a slow regression back to more and more 4-3 the longer he is here. If we win 2 Super bowls great. If Fox doesn't work out in 3 4 or 5 years then by that time 3-4 will have solidified it's place in the NFL and we may have another rebuilding process on D yet again a few years from now.

I can only go on an educated speculation, Myself and everyone else will just have too wait and see.

I think this may end up being a case of settling for the second best scheming on D, getting ride of Wink and going to 4-3(one direction). It would be better then one car going in two different directions.
                    I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Hell no. John Fox has been a football coach since 1978 and has a lot of experience in the NFL. He probably has a lot of friends and power to put together a respectable staff. Why should he retain "Wink" Martindale? There are rumors about Jim Mora coming to Denver to coach the defense, that would be much better. And like Mike Nolan, Mora has previous experience as a head coach. That can only help the level of football knowledge that Broncos' players will be able to absorb. But once Fox chooses his DC, it would be great to have the same guy for more than one season.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sorry by say no to Wink. I get the point of the original poster, but if these guys really believed in Wink, even just a little, they would have shown it on the field. Dead last in defense does not warrant a rehire. They should never had let Nolan leave, but that is yesterday's news.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                          Hell no. Wink is an excellent linebackers coach, but not an NFL defensive coordinator.

His scheme was easily figured out. And we finished DEAD LAST in the NFL in total defense.

Bring in a new coordinator.

Continuity won't do much. When Dom Capers went to Green Bay, he turned their defense around in one offseason. It starts with a great defensive coordinator. Don Martindale should not be our defensive coordinator next season.
                          ^^^. My first thought when I read the title of this thread was NooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo.

59-14. Not that all of that is Winks fault but that's still atrocious.
                          sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Working...
                          X