• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAMSEY: Broncos in danger of getting stuck in the past

RAMSEY: Broncos in danger of getting stuck in the past
    DAVID RAMSEY
    2011-01-14 17:06:05

The Denver Broncos are lost in the past, looking back toward yesterday’s glory while stumbling around today. Remember, the present always ranks as the most important tense.

John Fox faces a daunting task as he begins his tenure as the Denver Broncos’ 14th head coach. For years before the Broncos tumbled to the bottom of the NFL, the franchise staggered as a mediocre franchise.

Fox must yank this team out of the past and into today.

The Broncos' new coach knows it’s a solid idea to compliment the man who signs the paycheck, and so he spent a good chunk of his introductory press conference raving about Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

He mentioned, more than once, the “storied” Broncos franchise and marveled at Bowlen’s “great energy” and “great wisdom.”

“Mr. Bowlen’s record speaks for itself,” Fox said.

Yes, it does.

And here’s the most important announcement from Mr. Bowlen’s record since back-to-back Super Bowl titles in 1997-98.

The Broncos have – count ‘em - one playoff victory since they won the Super Bowl after the 1998 season. Since then, the Broncos have been outscored in the playoffs, 158-81.

In 13 seasons from 1986 to 1998, John Elway led the Broncos to the five Super Bowls, 20 playoff games and 14 playoff victories.

In the 12 seasons since Elway left the Broncos backfield, the Broncos have played five playoff games. The Broncos have not sniffed the playoffs since 2005.

This post-Elway futility explains why Fox turned to Elway midway through his comments and said, “I’m wishing I could get him out of retirement.”

Don’t we all.

On Friday, Elway and Fox talked about winning another Super Bowl trophy, and it’s always fun to dream big.

But Fox should embrace realism as he begins his era. It’s time to quit talking about the Broncos being a “storied” franchise. The Steelers and Packers and Patriots and Bears boast storied franchises.

The Broncos?

No. Not there yet.

Fox and Elway should concentrate on winning a playoff game, a reasonable goal, instead of dreaming of a Super Bowl victory, which is far from the reach of this dilapidated team.

A few minutes after the press conference ended, Elway stood in a hallway talking about the future. He wanted everyone to know how much he agonized over his first big decision as Broncos leader.

“I made a bunch of decisions when I was playing,” Elway said, “and ended up with 252 interceptions, or something like that.” (Elway was slightly off. He threw 247 interceptions in his 16-season career.)

“But I tell you, when you look at the magnitude of this, it’s probably the biggest decision, other than getting married and that kind of thing. It’s a big decision.”

Fox, Elway said, is the ideal coach to rescue the Broncos. Elway was talking about tomorrow, which made sense, but even at this moment the past was lurking, right behind him.

It took a while before I noticed Elway was standing in front of a gigantic image of himself.
    Behind Elway in the present tense was a photo of Elway from Jan. 25, 1998, the day he defeated the Green Bay Packers, silenced all doubters and reigned as NFL champion.

On that night, fans were hugging and shouting and rejoicing all over Colorado. The Broncos, finally, ruled the NFL, and it ranked – it will always rank - as the greatest moment in Colorado sports history.

“I do like that,” Elway said, smiling as he examined the jubilant, triumphant image of himself.

We all liked that. Maybe a little too much. Broncos fans and Broncos leaders are in danger of getting trapped in the past.

Don’t get me wrong. Yesterday can be a wonderful destination, if you don’t allow yourself to get lost back there.

It’s time for Fox and Elway to start laboring in the present.

It’s time to quit talking about the Broncos being a “storied” franchise and time to turn those big words into reality.
    Where is this season going?

Originally posted by yaz96 View Post

But Fox should embrace realism as he begins his era. It’s time to quit talking about the Broncos being a “storied” franchise. The Steelers and Packers and Patriots and Bears boast storied franchises.

The Broncos?

No. Not there yet.
    he lost me there...the pats have 1 more super bowl win than the broncos...is 3 wins the difference between storied and not?....the patriots are on a great run since the arrival of tom brady just like the broncos and elway....but otherwise the patriots history pretty much stinks

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
      he lost me there...the pats have 1 more super bowl win than the broncos...is 3 wins the difference between storied and not?....the patriots are on a great run since the arrival of tom brady just like the broncos and elway....but otherwise the patriots history pretty much stinks
      Just a pundit being a pundit. Water off my back.
      Life is more than just winning or losing.

People are not made happy in life by what they acquire, but rather by what they appreciate.

Comment

Absolutely agree. This guy is just stirring the pot creating something to write. Very few teams in the league can match the record we have. All teams go up and down. We will be back.

The guys article is a total fail in my opinion!

Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
        sigpic
        I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
        Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yeah, the Bears are a storied franchise alright, the story is titled:

"It's not 2011, its the 5,475th day of 1985"
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            Yeah, the Bears are a storied franchise alright, the story is titled:

"It's not 2011, its the 5,475th day of 1985"
            i was gonna get on that too...the packers as well...neither team has done a whole lot in the last 50 years....but when the nfl was young they ruled, so...

the giants and cowboys should be listed over the packers and bears

Comment

A very well written article but I must disagree.

All of this storied talk along with Elway's Tweeting is just a first attempt to get the fans fired back up. Fans are often stuck in the past remembering the glory days. When you think about it, the past is all you have! it is tangible, the present is just a moment long and the future is impossible to see.

The goal at the moment is to try and bring back that "Mile High Magic". Winning at home is the first step in getting back to the play offs. If a team can win all there home games, that gives them 8 wins. Then all you need to do is pull off 2+ road games to have a good shot of a post season appearance.

It is simple algerbra, (E+T)xF=MHM
              (Elway's Tweeting + Tebow's Fire) X Fox's History lessons = Mile High Magic!
              No other team in the league is doing it right now, so you can't say were stuck in the past.
              sigpic

Comment

The article is a pile of steam crap... but...

i was gonna get on that too...the packers as well...neither team has done a whole lot in the last 50 years....but when the nfl was young they ruled, so...

the giants and cowboys should be listed over the packers and bears
                The Packer and Bears are ABSOLUTELY storied franchises... Have you ever been to Lambeau Field? I went this year week 17 as a neutral to watch Bears vs Packers... And let me tell you it was one of the greatest sporting events I have ever been too. The town is completely engulfed in the event... There are a number of the 30+ HOF players that have come from those storied franchises in town promoting their charities with autograph signings... I bleed orange and blue and have been a fan for over 30 years but that doesn't mean I don't recognize and respect what other teams have.

Comment

Pride and Tradition

I sense a misunderstanding.

The losing super bowls were painful, but in hindsight we were at the big dance. the Broncos have been to 6. Elway played in 5 Super Bowls. Often on teams with more heart than skill. The superbowl winners were dominating. Not just the years they won, but in the time leading up to the championships.

The Broncos and their fans know where we want to go. We are proud of where we have been. Pride is probably a politically incorrect word, but it is what makes a player pick himself out of the dirt. That will not ever change.

This article could have been written by Michael Lombardi. It has an establishment filter on it.

This is definitely not a recycled Broncos scheme with Coach Fox. He is a D oriented guy. A guy that will solve a current problem.

I know coach Fox likes cliches, but there are reasons why cliches become cliches.

Effort - Give 110%
                  Tenacity - Don't stop until you hear the whistle.
                  Tradition - You are standing on the shoulders of giants
                  Luck - Luck is what happens when preparation an opportunity come together.

Forget the past? Does that mean we are doomed to repeat it? ok..I will take that
                  Last edited by johnjoda; 01-15-2011, 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
                  Waiting to hear from adoption agency

Comment

Dream BIG or go home.

Comment

author info
                      David Ramsey, a graduate of Denver's South HS, has written sports columns for The Gazette since 2003.

2003...oops he missed the past....lol
                      Waiting to hear from adoption agency

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
                        The Packer and Bears are ABSOLUTELY storied franchises... Have you ever been to Lambeau Field? I went this year week 17 as a neutral to watch Bears vs Packers... And let me tell you it was one of the greatest sporting events I have ever been too. The town is completely engulfed in the event... There are a number of the 30+ HOF players that have come from those storied franchises in town promoting their charities with autograph signings... I bleed orange and blue and have been a fan for over 30 years but that doesn't mean I don't recognize and respect what other teams have.
                        i never said they weren't storied franchises...just that they haven't done much in the last 50 years and that the cowboys and giants are just as, if not more, storied....and i have been to lambeau....though not for a game but i have been to miller park for a brewers game

Comment

What pisses me off is the same quote over and over by the press"The Broncos have 1 playoff victory since back to back SuperBowl victories.How many do The Cowboys have since Aikman retired?Oh thats right! Exactly 1.Of course the media never brings up that fact becuase after all we dont want to say anything negative about supposedly Americas Team.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Denver is a storied franchise.:thumb:
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by utebroncofan View Post
                              What pisses me off is the same quote over and over by the press"The Broncos have 1 playoff victory since back to back SuperBowl victories.How many do The Cowboys have since Aikman retired?Oh thats right! Exactly 1.Of course the media never brings up that fact becuase after all we dont want to say anything negative about supposedly Americas Team.
                              That's because we don't give a hoot about Dallas. Our media is concerned about the Broncos, as are the fans.

ANd the fact is, we have only 1 playoff victory since 1998. That's a long time.
                              Where is this season going?

Comment

Working...
                              X