Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike McCoy will stay

John Fox named Denver Broncos head coach, charged with revival

In an effort to make the long climb from their current state — maybe the lowest point in franchise history — back to a Super Bowl-contending past, the Denver Broncos have called on the guy who has done it before.

The Broncos have hired John Fox, recently of the Carolina Panthers, to be their next head coach.

"I am excited to announce that John Fox has agreed to terms to become the 14th head coach in Broncos history," John Elway, the team's executive vice president of football operations, stated via twitter.

"Coach Fox is a great fit for us not only with his coaching ability but also his personality. He is a dynamic and proven leader who will energize our entire organization. John has coached great
    All Things Broncos blog

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.
    defenses, turned teams around and been to Super Bowls."

Most notably, Fox inherited a Panthers' team that was 1-15 in 2001 and led it to a six-win improvement in his first season of 2002, and the Super Bowl in his second season of 2003.

Fox's nine-year reign with the Panthers, though, ended with a 2-14 record in 2010, the only team to finish worse than the Broncos' 4-12 mark.

"I am very thankful to Pat Bowlen and John Elway for giving me the opportunity," Fox said, "to coach a football team with such a proud tradition. The Broncos have a culture of winning, and I am excited to continue that legacy."

The Broncos are expected to retain offensive coordinator Mike McCoy under Fox. McCoy previously worked with Fox for seven seasons in Carolina.

Fox was selected after the Broncos had narrowed their finalists list to Houston offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and Jacksonville offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter.

"I can't wait to get to work, pushing our players to be the best they can be and representing this community as head coach of the Broncos," Fox said.

The Broncos will introduce Fox as their head coach Friday at noon.

"Welcome to Denver, coach Fox!" Tim Tebow tweeted today. "Can't wait to get to work with you!!"

Who is John Fox?

Background: Longtime college defensive backs coach broke into the NFL with Steelers in 1989. Was the New York Giants' defensive coordinator under head coach Jim Fassel from 1997-2001. In nine seasons as the Panthers' head coach, Fox had five seasons of either 7-9 or 8-8, and three excellent seasons that ended with a Super Bowl appearance, NFC championship game or No. 1 playoff seed (2008).

Strengths: His experience also could help balance the relative inexperience of Elway and general manager Brian Xanders at top executive positions. His hire is good news for Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who was Fox's assistant in Carolina from 2002-08.

Concerns: After grinding through the stress of nine years as an NFL head coach, would Fox, who turns 56 next month, have benefited from taking a year off to recharge?
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17087361

Oh lord....

Am I the only one who HATES McCoy with a passion?

Comment

this is fine, if only for the sake of continuity

i think mccoy could do a good job if he's actually allowed to call the plays

Comment

that sucks, josh mcdaniels was a horrible play caller, and mike mccoy was even worse. i say get rid of all associated with mcdaniels. hire a proven play caller like fassel, and a d cordinator like ryan.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
          Oh lord....

Am I the only one who HATES McCoy with a passion?
          why? he wasn't allowed to do much of anything except work with the QBs for most of his tenure here. mcd was calling all the shots on offense

Comment

Originally posted by broncobuss View Post
            that sucks, josh mcdaniels was a horrible play caller, and mike mccoy was even worse. i say get rid of all associated with mcdaniels. hire a proven play caller like fassel, and a d cordinator like ryan.
            Heck, I'd be happy with Mike Tice

Comment

Originally posted by broncobuss View Post
              mccoy is associated more with fox than mcdaniels

Comment

Not to sure what to think about this, will have to research him more. Also, is this speculation on the writer's part, or his he simply linking Fox's name with McCoy's since they have previously worked together?

Comment

Originally posted by lolcopter View Post
                  why? he wasn't allowed to do much of anything except work with the QBs for most of his tenure here. mcd was calling all the shots on offense
                  McCoy had pretty much all offensive power when McD was given the boot... it was terrible.

Comment

Good move. Now can we keep Ben McDaniels as QB in case Tebow is named the starter.

Comment

McCoy had pretty much all offensive power when McD was given the boot... it was terrible.
                      that's because they went ultra-conservative to protect the young QB. the play calling opened up nicely in the last two games compared to the raiders game

i think it's impossible to judge what mccoy is capable of at this point. he was very successful working in carolina with delhomme in the past... and seems to have done some decent work with tebow up until this point

it's unfair to judge these guys (mccoy/wink) based off of mcdaniels

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's just an assumption by whoever is writing this article. I'll wait on some kind of official word from Elway and the FO before I assume anything.

Comment

I'm fine as long as the screen queen throws out his book. Mike "The Screen Queen" McCoy needs help with play calling.

But hey maybe with his old buddy Fox, he fixes his own issue.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

so he was give 4 weeks to run an offense that wasnt even designed by him?

Not much to go by really
                            sigpic
                            "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

DAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! GOD I HATE HIM!!!

I remember everyone saying "don't worry all these bums will be fired" well looks like some counted their chickens...DAMNIT....he's the worst OC I've ever seen, we should've lost our last 3 BECAUSE OF HIM! this team is becoming easier and easier to care less about, I used to love this team with such a passion but what STUPID (!) moves they're making recently...damnit

Comment

Working...
                              X