Dez Bryant vs. Demaryius Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dez Bryant vs. Demaryius Thomas

Thomas may yet to turn out to be the better pick, if he can just stay healthy. Dez Bryant is living up to his reputation.

Have the Cowboys soured on Dez Bryant?

Former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton was never shy about speaking his mind. And last week, the Chargers receiver popped on "The Ben & Skin Show" on to 103.3 ESPN Radio to talk about a variety of topics, including the work of rookie Dez Bryant.

"They let him get away with a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff," Crayton said of Bryant. "Hopefully whoever they bring in as receivers coach, and they say [Jason] Garrett is a disciplinarian, won't let him get away with so much stuff. He'll get locked down and hopefully be the next Michael Irvin."

Crayton's not a fan of Garrett's, as you might have gathered from that little jab. But it's interesting what he said about Bryant, who was reportedly late to several meetings during the season and didn't exactly commit the playbook to memory. Former Cowboys scout Bryan Broaddus, who now works for 103.3, recently wondered aloud (on the air) whether Dallas might listen to trade offers for Bryant. ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins posed that question to someone in the Cowboys' front office.

"I would think about it," said the source.

I think Bryant has way too much upside for the Cowboys to think about trading him, but it's interesting that someone at Valley Ranch is at least open to the possibility. Even if a team offered a top-15 draft pick for Bryant, are we convinced the Cowboys would turn two first-round picks into gold?

One look at this defense shows you how the Cowboys haven't exactly owned the first round of the draft. Cornerback Mike Jenkins is coming off an awful season, defensive end Marcus Spears is probably headed out the door via free agency and outside linebacker Anthony Spencer disappeared in 2010. On the other side of the ball, Felix Jones has not emerged as one of the top backs from his first-round class.

We've always known Bryant was a top-10 talent who slid in the draft because of character concerns, so let's not act like it's a huge surprise that he's not the first guy to arrive at every meeting. Garrett sent wide receivers coach Ray Sherman packing, in part, because he gained a reputation for coddling some of his more outspoken players. Now that Garrett's in charge, it's incumbent on him to make sure that Bryant continues to mature as a player and person.

It's not like this offense has enough firepower to consider trading a playmaker of Bryant's caliber.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...-on-dez-bryant

One causes issues off the field, and the other can't stay on the field. I think it's a wash as of right now. Thomas may pull out of it and be the obvious better choice with an off-season to heal up. We shall see. Go Broncos

Comment

I like Dez but his issues are off the field that bother me. If this organization wanted another Marshall, they would have paid the first one.

We will se how thomas develops next year. Remember it took Marshall 2 years to develop and that was after Walkers injury.

Comment

Thomas has to learn how to protect his big body while running with the ball, and he will learn that over time. His speed and blocking ability is what sets apart from Bryant. Size is important but you have to get your pad-level low to protect yourself from sustaining injuries. Most importantly, the fact that Thomas has not had any issues learning the play-book becomes the leading reason I think Thomas is still a better first round selection in comparison to Bryant. Bryant is a tremendous athlete, but there is more to it than that.

Comment

so... does knowing what a distraction character issues can be make any of you feel any differently about drafting Nick Fairley who doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation?

Comment

Originally posted by Gossage970 View Post
            Thomas has to learn how to protect his big body while running with the ball, and he will learn that over time. His speed and blocking ability is what sets apart from Bryant. Size is important but you have to get your pad-level low to protect yourself from sustaining injuries. Most importantly, the fact that Thomas has not had any issues learning the play-book becomes the leading reason I think Thomas is still a better first round selection in comparison to Bryant. Bryant is a tremendous athlete, but there is more to it than that.
            That was my point. I think Thomas may be the better choice if he can stay healthy, and this off season gives him a real chance to get back to 100%. As of right now though, both of them have had their issues whether on the field (injuries, Thomas) or off the field (attitude, Bryant).

Comment

Originally posted by XXXII&III View Post
              so... does knowing what a distraction character issues can be make any of you feel any differently about drafting Nick Fairley who doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation?
              Nope...no different...still wouldn't like it. Hasn't changed since I saw the BCS game...he impressed me with his play...but his...how shall we say..."Extra curricular" activities...nope...gimmie Bowers or that CB that everyone is jabbering about (Peterson I think??).

EDIT: removed the statement about poor off field behavior after I was proved wrong.
              Last edited by Hippie Guy; 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM.
              Disclamer: Anything stated by Hippie Guy is meant to be sarcasm and should not be construed as or mistaken for anything serious.

Comment

Originally posted by XXXII&III View Post
                While he has a reputation for being rough/dirty on the field, I don't think I have read anything about off the field problems, or his being a distraction or disruption to his team. If Fox is a disciplinarian I think he can make Fairley toe the line when it comes to dumb penalties. If Fox can't/won't put a stop to them, then it becomes a question of whether Fairley makes more positive contributions than negative ones in the course of a game. I think he would make more positive ones myself. "IF" Carolina doesn't draft him we may have a chance to find out one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by knoxman36and2 View Post
                  One causes issues off the field, and the other can't stay on the field. I think it's a wash as of right now. Thomas may pull out of it and be the obvious better choice with an off-season to heal up. We shall see. Go Broncos
                  You do realize that Demaryius only missed 2 more games than Dez right...? Bryant was injury riddled for most of the season too. Remember he missed all of preseason, and went on IR in week 12. So really both of them can't stay on the field...

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                    I like Dez but his issues are off the field that bother me. If this organization wanted another Marshall, they would have paid the first one.

We will se how thomas develops next year. Remember it took Marshall 2 years to develop and that was after Walkers injury.
                    Yeah, if I remember correctly didn't Walker start of the 07 season strong with two 10 catch games? Then got injured in the third game.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie Guy View Post
                      Nope...no different...still wouldn't like it. Hasn't changed since I saw the BCS game...he impressed me with his play...but his...how shall we say..."Extra curricular" activities...on and off the field....nope...gimmie Bowers or that CB that everyone is jabbering about (Peterson I think??).
                      What are you talking about? Off the field issues? I havent seen anything about Fairley having trouble with off the field issues.
                      sigpic

Comment

Cowboys would “think about” listening to offers for Dez Bryant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-dez-bryant/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 18, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
                        D. Bryant

A member of the Cowboys front office told ESPNDallas.com’s Calvin Watkins that the team “would think about” trading wide receiver Dez Bryant this offseason.

This is one of those stories that we can hear being denied by the team before it gets any room to grow.

Bryant appeared to be everything the Cowboys wanted and more when he was on the field as a rookie. But former Cowboys receiver Patrick Crayton hinted that not everything was as simple behind the scenes.

“They let [Bryant] get away with a lot of stuff. A lot of stuff,” Crayton said of Bryant per Matt Mosley of ESPN.com.

“Hopefully whoever they bring in as receivers coach, and they say [Jason] Garrett is a disciplinarian, won’t let him get away with so much stuff. He’ll get locked down and hopefully be the next Michael Irvin,” Crayton said. (Nice shot at Garrett there from Crayton.)

It’s hard to imagine the Cowboys really thinking hard about trading Bryant. Perhaps this little missive to the media is an indirect way to tell Bryant to show up to meetings on time and get in the playbook, which were reportedly issues for the young receiver.

It’s a dangerous approach. Bryant may not handle hearing this news well, which is why we expect a quick denial.

Comment

Originally posted by KnoMo#27 View Post
                          What are you talking about? Off the field issues? I havent seen anything about Fairley having trouble with off the field issues.
                          You know...I checked on it and you are correct as far as I can tell....he just seems to have a rep as a cheap short artist.

My bad I thought there was off field stuff too.

Did a google search and all I could find was articles about his being a dirty player...nothing about off field stuff.

I will correct my post and thank you.

Must have been the Cam Newton stuff I was thinking of....
                          Disclamer: Anything stated by Hippie Guy is meant to be sarcasm and should not be construed as or mistaken for anything serious.

Comment

Originally posted by d-bronx42 View Post
                            You do realize that Demaryius only missed 2 more games than Dez right...? Bryant was injury riddled for most of the season too. Remember he missed all of preseason, and went on IR in week 12. So really both of them can't stay on the field...
                            This is true. They both have a lot to prove when it comes to justifying the 1st round picks used to acquire them. I think Thomas "will" be worth the pick over time, but thats just my opinion and pure speculation until we actually see it happen.

Comment

Patrick Crayton. What a tool.

Jealous that Bryant put up bigger numbers in his rookie year than you have in your 7 year career, even with Bryants injuries?

Comment

Working...
                              X