Mile High Magic: Where has it Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mile High Magic: Where has it Gone?

So I was thinking back to yesteryear and remembering how a home game virtually translated into a W for the Broncos. And I wonder where has it gone? Is it because the fans have gotten softer? Is it because the new stadium doesn't keep noise in like the old Mile High? Or is it another factor? I remember even when the Broncos were not so good how Mile High was a feared place to play. What went wrong?

Here's an interesting video about the home field advantage of the old Mile High.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...e-High-Stadium
    Life is more than just winning or losing.

People are not made happy in life by what they acquire, but rather by what they appreciate.

Originally posted by SC Broncofan View Post
    So I was thinking back to yesteryear and remembering how a home game virtually translated into a W for the Broncos. And I wonder where has it gone? Is it because the fans have gotten softer? Is it because the new stadium doesn't keep noise in like the old Mile High? Or is it another factor? I remember even when the Broncos were not so good how Mile High was a feared place to play. What went wrong?

Here's an interesting video about the home field advantage of the old Mile High.

It left with Elway and was officially swept out the door with Plummer. With Elway back and the potential Tebow can bring to the team.. maybe Foxxy can bring back a little magic to our city.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Mike View Post
      It left with Elway and was officially swept out the door with Plummer. With Elway back and the potential Tebow can bring to the team.. maybe Foxxy can bring back a little magic to our city.
      One can hope! The intensity that Tebow brought to the crowd esp. the Houston game, reminded me of the intensity that Elway brought there.
      Life is more than just winning or losing.

People are not made happy in life by what they acquire, but rather by what they appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by SC Broncofan View Post

Thanks again for posting that link.. it really tugs the heartstrings. The thing is.. the Chargers will never ever ever have a bit of history like that. And by gum I'm sick of it being history. The noise, the atmosphere, all of that is on us as fans.. If you go to a game, scream and scream til you are coughing up blue and orange blood my friend.

Comment

Lots of things, and you've hit on most of them.

Mile High magic can only happen at Mile High Stadium.

Solution: Change the name. Invesco may not even exist anymore and I'm sure they got their $'s worth. Give the name back to the citizens of Colorado. We paid for the #$%#%&%*$%$#$%$%!!!!!! Stadium anyway.

Orange Crush was heart and soul of the Bronco mentality.

Solution: ORANGE AT HOME ALWAYS!! Our new stadium needs all the help it can get. Its design has diminished the crowd noise, so the fans in the seats need to go the extra mile to make it more visually impressive. If you aren't going to be allowed to be loud with your voice, then get loud with your clothing.

I HOPE THE GUYS THAT WEAR THE POM POM'S KEEP GOING. THEY SHOULD BREED. THE BRONCO SASQUATCH IS EASILY SPOTTED.

The stadium should be like your favorite bar and country club rolled together on the concourses and restrooms. It should look and feel like the depths of hell at your seat.
          Rhyme Time: Loose, Caboose. Lose, Boo's. Grieve, Peeve? Cat, Hat and all of that...

Comment

Its in the parking lot north of Invesco. I miss the REAL Mile High.
            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
            sigpic

Comment

It went away with the defense (and special team to a smaller extent). Driving down the field for scores is great- but the energy generated is quickly lost when the D goes out and gets cut through like swiss cheese. We need to get back to hard hitting Bronco defense. Even our 80's SB teams that got smoked in the SB all those times featured hard hitting safety play and fairly good defenses- at least by 1980's AFC standards. Anyway- I just think nothing sucks the energy out of the crowd more than when you know the visiting team is more than likely going to be able to convert on 3rd down- time and time and time and time again.

Ultimately- seems to me that a good defense will keep you in virtually every game. And if you're in virtually every game.... the home crowd can work its magic...
              Last edited by Southern Bronco; 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Hard Nosed Big Noise

I believe the recent scheme rubbed fans the wrong way.

Some guy from the Patriots, came in and started demolishing the dream house.

He got 86d, and the original owner is trying to put it back together. The fans did not go away, they just stopped believing.

Believe in Miracles
                Waiting to hear from adoption agency

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                  Its in the parking lot north of Invesco. I miss the REAL Mile High.
                  Actually, SOUTH, of the new stadium, where the buses park.

But, that's exactly what I was thinking, too!
                  Where is this season going?

Comment

The magic left when the $300 seats arrived. And when the diehards were priced up to the nosebleeds or out of the stadium entirely.

Comment

There is just no way to deny that the new stadium just is not as good as the old Mile High stadium at getting and keeping the fans involved. The seats were closer to the field and the stadium itself rocked and made noise. The groundskeepers would tell the opposing team about wind problems in the South end when the doors were opened and then they would open the doors at the end of games just to mess with their heads. And the worst thing about the new stadium is the club seats. When things are cold, or not going well, and for the beginning of the second half, there is a huge number of empty seats belonging to those club seaters who are sitting inside. And the final thing is that when the new stadium opened and people had their sitting arrangements changed there became many ways/places including the NFL itself where people could sell their seats for any/every game usually for big profits, many of the real old timers have kept their rights but sell the tickets every week. My seat is row 21 handicapped seat one and so I can see that every week there are different people in front of us for at least 10 rows every single game. This is on the east side around the 20 yard line where the real old timers sat in Mile High, so I can only think it is the original ticket holders who now use the seats for a weekly profit. Also, many of the people they sell to are not Bronco fans. I can only imagine that this happens all over the stadium.
                      SmilingJack

Comment

I agree with most of you but the thing that pisses me off the most is Bronco season ticket holders selling their ticket to the highest bidder. I know its because of the internet but if I had season tickets I would go out of my way to sell my tickets to a true Broncos fan!

I went to the Steelers/Broncos game last year ('09) and it was disgusting seeing that many Steelers fans in OUR HOUSE!

If your going to the game, stand up, be loud, cheer for your team!

Side story: My dad and I went to the Broncos/49ers game the night DWill died (R.I.P.), we got to sit front row in the South stands. We were standing up the whole game and the people behind us kept yelling at us to sit down because they couldn't see the game. My dad turned around and said, "no I'm good. If you want to be a fan of the team and watch the game while sitting down, then watch the game at home!" I laughed and they didn't say a word again!

Have some pride for your team and give them your full support! Bring back the times where it was so loud that the opposing team couldn't even hear the call in the huddle!
                        Last edited by AllEyezOnZach27; 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

No defense, no home field advantage. Simple as that. We should trade Champ for 2 decent front 7 players.

Comment

The Magic ...

... left when old Mile High Stadium was torn down and replaced with Invesco Field, a corporate money trap.

Old Mile High had morphed from a AAA baseball field for the Denver Bears into the living thing it bacame when filled with fans ... it would shake. At one time it moved, too, to become football or baseball facility. The South Stand was legendary.

Now it has luxury boxes and blocks of seats held by companies/corporations who hand tickets over to out-of-town visitors who are fans of visiting teams. Now its prices are prohibitive for families of working class people to attend together.

If Denver wants home field advantage again, they need a facility like Estadia Azteca in Ciudad de Mexico.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I think the magic left when the old Mile High Stadium was tore down. "Invesco Field at Mile High" was built to be more appealing to the champagne and wine drinkers. I know die-hard fans still attend games (and thank you for doing so), but the tickets are becoming so expensive many are staying home or going to their local tavern to watch the game. We need some divine intervention and help may be on the way.....!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X